THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rocky Mountain National Park

Heading out near the end of July for some serious hiking. Will be there for the whole week. Anyone done "Longs Peak" or any other challenging hikes you enjoyed?

Old 04-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not in Colorado, but I've certainly trekked the mountains in Alberta and British Columbia. A lot of great memories. Of course, my wife will remind me of the many times my legs turned to rubber. But worth every step. Enjoy.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back when I was young and stationed in Port Angeles WA, I hiked in the Olymic National Park several times. One time I hiked solo up to Angeles lake, and it took all day. When I got to the top, I pitched my tent and went to sleep. I remember waking in he middle of the night hearing foot steps outside my tent. In the morning I could see the deer tracks that made the noise in the crunchy early morning snow. It was mushy snow during the day and chrunchy (noisy) at night. Have fun, and enjoy mother nature!

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 04-16-2017, 07:17 PM

I've been to RMNP several times, Never did any hiking but it's an awesomely beautiful place, especially at the higher elevations.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We live about 15 miles due east of Longs on the flatland. Longmont is named after the same guy.

I've climbed it 4 times, and it kicks my butt every time. Can't remember -- 6 or 7000 feet elevation gain in 7 miles. Coming down is hard on the knees. Some crazy people run up and down, though.

Folks typically leave the trailhead at 3 or so in the morning, so they can be down by the time the afternoon thunderstorms start. I've climbed it at night every time, leaving the trailhead at 8 or 9 with a full moon, watching the sunrise from the summit. Above timberline it's so bright you don't need a flashlight. The views and the terrain are spectacular.

Chasm Lake, below the vertical east face is another good (but easier) hike. The lake must be at 12,000 feet or so, and it's also really cool.

Make sure you take warm clothes and lots of water. And something for the headache.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...!"
'69 Cameo White RA III Judge, 4 speed, owned since 1977 -- my first car.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Senior Chief

Mount Ida hike from Milner Pass is a great hike with excellent views. Did it with my daughter in August of 2015, one of our favorites. Also, be sure to check out the Kawuneeche Valley on the west side of the park. Less people, more wildlife. We stayed at the Timber Creek campground.

68 GTO convertible
YS M40, A/C, PS, PB-disc, Posi-T, PW, P-seat, AM-FM stereo 8-track,
P-ant, P-trunk lid, Tilt-S, Rally gauges, Hideaways
C1 224 Triple white
Old 05-01-2017, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We were there 4th of July 2008, coming in from the Kalispell side and the main road was closed about 15 miles in due to avalanche... in July!

The sheer size of the mountains is pretty spectacular and never did figure out how to catch that feeling with a camera.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For me the highlight of visiting RMNP was staying in Estes Park. I went back many times.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
For me the highlight of visiting RMNP was staying in Estes Park. I went back many times.
x2 on that. my brother moved there back in 84 and since then I cant begin to count the number of trips we have made to estes park.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love RMNP. Went there for the first time this past Summer with my wife and two girls. Absolutely breathtaking (literally!!) We're not hikers or climbers but we did go to Bear Lake and hike to Emerald Lake. While it's just a 600' elevation change in just under 2 miles, it kicked this flatlander's butt. The view was worth it, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk68 View Post
Mount Ida hike from Milner Pass is a great hike with excellent views. Did it with my daughter in August of 2015, one of our favorites. Also, be sure to check out the Kawuneeche Valley on the west side of the park. Less people, more wildlife. We stayed at the Timber Creek campground.
I've hear Ida is a pretty good hike. Always interested in the areas with more wildlife and fewer people. Not going to see tourists. After the first couple nights of acclimation at (Moraine campground) we will be wilderness camping the rest of the time.