Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Is this a crack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
It looks like those heads may have originally been ported by Elkins. Then at some point the guides were replaced and the valve job redone. Or atleast in the one cylinder you posted a picture of.

Would you mind posting a picture of the end of the heads? The side that would show the freeze plug and accessory mounting bolt holes.
Pretty sure it’s just a scratch… one head was laying on top of the main caps of the block in the loft of the barn. I’ll look closely tomorrow and grab some more pictures.

BTW Paul, I’ll be talking to you about another set of pistons hopefully in the near future.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
The Following User Says Thank You to bignate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The DS stamped 614 heads I have also had titanium valves. What I found interesting is that the valves also had a DS number etched into the stem up by the lock groove.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That’s a dangerous high stress location to etch two letters if it’s below the keeper grove.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74SDformula View Post
The DS stamped 614 heads I have also had titanium valves. What I found interesting is that the valves also had a DS number etched into the stem up by the lock groove.
FWIW, I have a set of factory RAV valves with DS numbers etched on the stems above the locks. They are so small a jewelers loop is needed to read them.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

Just cleaned up one of the tips of the intake valves and sure enough there is a hand etched DS #. Exhaust valves are production pieces not sure if those were replaced when the valve & guide job was done.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If those are factory valves with a o-ring groove please don't take a chance on running them.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
If those are factory valves with a o-ring groove please don't take a chance on running them.
Oh absolutely not… if I do end up using these heads on something they will get all new good valves.

Nate