Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

Default Head Light Bezel Raised Detail

I'll start off by saying I work for a chrome plating shop specializing in restoring automotive and cycle parts.

Anyways, I've done a bunch of '66-'67 headlight bezels. All of the ones I've done have been original untouched parts. All of them had the raised reveal around the leading edge almost washed completely out from the factory. It is well defined between the openings, but at the top it's washed out. I always recut/redefine the lines back in when I do these.

I have a few of my own that I haven't stripped yet that are the same also.

I'm just curious if there are any opinions on this issue. Did the designer intend for a nice well defined raised reveal on these bezels? Did they just polish them to much when they were originally chromed at the supplier, and wash out the detail?

I'll try to get a picture comparing on original to the set I just did this week and put it up here.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On a good bezel it should clearly be visible at center with a fading transition top and bottom
(washed as you call it).
I have always searched NOS over re-finish when possible and found the overall chrome/finish as well as fitment of "NOS"varies from part to part.
Early on I was always frustrated paying a premium for NOS just to be deflated by the low factory quality of the part.
NOS dose not always mean Great Finish/Perfect Fit.
I went through several NOS pieces before I settled on my choice
(much easier back in the 80's then it would be today)

IIRC one side became almost none existent due to a tooling issue but can't recall which side.
My originals were to far gone to save and I can't say that I did a lot of comparison between restored/refinished OEM and NOS
but can relate to how some finishers will totally polish out/off the details.

On a similar note on my '66 the Fender louvers were a challenge due to limited use and almost no demand for LeMANs parts on the market.
These too have a very defined/contour detail. So when I needed them it was a trial and error event.
I collected almost everyone I came across while Yarding and/or any '66 Lemans parts car that came my way.
Eventually accumulating enough to start sending out to the various Chrome shops.
I would send 1 or 2 out to a given shop to evaluate the finished part and this procedure returned an amazing array of WTF's.
I was somewhat devastated by what some considered a finished piece.
Sorry for the long post but your observation struck a cord

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-13-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, it was the left side that became so scarce.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Here are some pics of a set I did this week. Like I said I cut that line in all the way around.

I'd like to find some factory photos or some thing that showed these cars in the design stage. That may shed some light on what the intent was.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Different for sure, Looks good.
How long does it take to Cut in?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Different for sure, Looks good.
How long does it take to Cut in?
Takes about 10-15 minutes to rough in the line. It takes a steady hand. The real time is in the openings on these things. The out side usually goes relatively quickly but the opening going down to the headlight bulbs them selves is quite tricky to sand out and not make it wavy/choppy.

Nate

Old 02-25-2016, 10:57 AM

How much would you charge to rechrome a set without cutting in all the way around but fading out like they are now?