Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
See the plate on this Pro mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQBAEbgfsgQ

It's a PA plate and on the windshield there is a PA state inspection sticker too. Now since I spent 47 years in PA and was born there, I was also a licensed PA state inspection mechanic as well as owned a official PA state inspection garage. PA is probably the worst state to pick to get a pro mod licensed and inspected....... and see how many plated cars arrive on trailers.
Hmmm yea, I spent 50 years in PA. Hey didyaallknowthat Alabama doesn't have car inspections? No emission, no safety, no stickers.

See a couple 70's chrome bumper 4- doors on the road nearly every day. Way more than PA.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Hmmm yea, I spent 50 years in PA. Hey didyaallknowthat Alabama doesn't have car inspections? No emission, no safety, no stickers.

See a couple 70's chrome bumper 4- doors on the road nearly every day. Way more than PA.
Same thing here in OH Mark.

If I were to put a ex sprint car on the road in PA it would have to have fenders on it.........

When I lived in Erie most of the hot rods that were owned by people in the Erie county area, had OH tags on them because PA had such screwy DMV laws. Back in the day if you lived in Erie you were less than 30 miles from the Ohio line, and all you needed was a Ohio address to get Ohio tags. Some of the loopholes have been closed now though because you need an Ohio drivers license or state ID to get Ohio tags now, and they make you sign an affidavit that you have valid Ohio insurance too.

The car hobby and race culture here in Ohio is stronger than PA, I guess that's one reason I prefer OH to my home state.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recall @ 1974 helping a friend take his stock 71 Firebird Esprit home from NY for winter storage at his parents outside State College... I was driving his NY tagged/inspected 68 Tempest...big tires, headers, loud exhaust, stall convertor, big cam... caught in traffic for football game...Rump,Rump,Rumbling thru traffic, crowded sidewalks...I was being stared at as if I were commiting a felony! lol

TN not much different than Alabama except 6 counties have emission testing for 75 and newer. Inspection is generally pretty easy sniff test, gas cap/tank check, and convertor in place...til you get into OBD2 cars.

No safety inspections...Personal responsibility laws encourage you to keep your car safe and roadworthy. Get in an accident because it isnt and basically you're screwed! (In NY an inspector could easily get in a jam if something unseen fails shortly after inspection. I'm betting same in PA)

Old 01-02-2017, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty stressful owning a PA state inspection station and having a inspection mechanic license. The public was always looking for ways to get there cars inspected when it didn't conform 100% to the laws. I was offered all kinds of bribes during that time to put a sticker on cars. Friends thought you owed them a favor and on and on. Twice women tried to entice me that wanted a sticker on their cars.

Then if someone bought a used car and it had a recent sticker on it that wasn't 100% they blackmailed the garage that inspected it to either fix their car for free or they'd turn you into the state inspection officer. Penalties were fines, loss of inspection privileges, so it was easier and cheaper to just fix the car for free. Lots of free parts and labor to escape the wrath of the law. You needed to be careful when inspecting cars because without your inspection license your livelihood could be in jeopardy.

In 1974 headers were illegal in PA, and any modification to the exhaust was illegal, glass packs etc. In 1977 PA finally overhauled the DMV code which paved the way to modified exhaust, finally.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Boost Engineer

One of my college engineering friends lived in Sewickley, Pa.
1967 Pontiac Le Mans owner. Could not believe the BS rules and inspection crap even in the early 70s. Big Chief has it good out on Oklahoma for sure.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
One of my college engineering friends lived in Sewickley, Pa.
1967 Pontiac Le Mans owner. Could not believe the BS rules and inspection crap even in the early 70s. Big Chief has it good out on Oklahoma for sure.

Tom V.
Tom, in the early 70s was when it was the absolute worst, nothing in the exhaust was allowed other than stock factory parts, or aftermarket stock appearing replacement parts. The exhaust also had to exit in the stock location, sidepipes were not permitted unless they came stock, such as on the corvette

In 1977 the state revamped the DMV code making it somewhat easier for the car enthusiast to have a more efficient exhaust on their cars.

Here in Ohio there is nothing that precludes an owner from putting any exhaust on their vehicles. I do believe your supposed to have mufflers, however plenty of vehicles around here have nothing to quiet the exhaust.
I'm too old to want a noisey exhaust system so I like mine quiet, also doesn't draw unwanted interest from the gestapo.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting comment by Justin at the end of tonight's episode of SO...

"I ain't never gonna race that car on the street again" (referring to the crowmod)

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 01-03-2017, 01:12 AM
Suspended

So didn't Justin buy Marty's car to race on the street, isn't that a Pro Mod car......just saying!

GTO George

Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
So didn't Justin buy Marty's car to race on the street, isn't that a Pro Mod car......just saying!

GTO George
Why aren't they allowing pro mods at the no prep races anymore?
Because those guys are starting to figure out how to get down those tracks?

Is Big Chief going to race NHRA Pro Mod in Gainsville? Is he gona make the PDRA race in Cecil GA?
He's got a 2 pro mods now,is he going to start racing against REAL pro mods????????????

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

From what i have heard Martys car still has a steel tub so its not actually a ProMod.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the show last night they showed the front end of a White Lemans outside his shop for some reason, like it was a teaser of things to come after Justin mentioned earlier of getting away from the Pro Mods for street racing.
I'd prefer to see back halved steel cars myself.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steel roof and quarters and a VIN are the new rules...Cash Days is not a no prep track race...

I don't see a Modern Promod when I look at Marty's old car... I see a car just like the rest of the guys (other than Lutz) on the show run...

Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Thanks.

Factory frame rails up front or full tubes ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
Steel roof and quarters and a VIN are the new rules...Cash Days is not a no prep track race...

I don't see a Modern Promod when I look at Marty's old car... I see a car just like the rest of the guys (other than Lutz) on the show run...

Old 01-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
Thanks.

My understanding is exactly what I posted above is all that is required...

Old 01-05-2017, 02:13 AM
Senior Chief

Default The New Crow

As much as we respect Marty, his accomplishments and the historical significance of his car - time and technology do march on. The car had undergone a number of modifications over the years to accommodate different engine configurations. The prospect of Big Chief dropping his motor into Marty's old car and going out and winning races, has a certain fantasy story book appeal to it. However, in the world of heads up racing, if you don't keep up with engine and chassis development, the rest of the field will pass you by.

Justin knew that some upgrades would be required. After a thorough evaluation, regrettably, the only part of Marty's car they could use was the body shell. They had to gut everything else and start over. This is not a slight to Marty – it's just a reality that race cars live harsh lives and get old. So, it will be a new car in every respect, under the old shell.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird69 View Post
As much as we respect Marty, his accomplishments and the historical significance of his car - time and technology do march on. The car had undergone a number of modifications over the years to accommodate different engine configurations. The prospect of Big Chief dropping his motor into Marty's old car and going out and winning races, has a certain fantasy story book appeal to it. However, in the world of heads up racing, if you don't keep up with engine and chassis development, the rest of the field will pass you by.

Justin knew that some upgrades would be required. After a thorough evaluation, regrettably, the only part of Marty's car they could use was the body shell. They had to gut everything else and start over. This is not a slight to Marty – it's just a reality that race cars live harsh lives and get old. So, it will be a new car in every respect, under the old shell.
Would have been cheaper to just get another Lemans body if nothing but roof and quarters could be used...

Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
Thanks.

Oh and 1 more thing...within 2" of stock wheelbase...

Old 01-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Boost Engineer

Justin bought the car, it is his car now. He can do whatever he wants with it.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Justin bought the car, it is his car now. He can do whatever he wants with it.
Tom V.
Nobody said he couldn't but I figure Marty's old car cost quite a bit more than a couple of grand like an old Lemans body and if he is using nothing from it but roof and quarters it seems like everything else will be new so the rest of the car will be parted I assume. Hopefully he can make back some of his investment in it...

On my post to Aaron the cash days rules are vin, steel roof and quarters, and within 2" of factory wheelbase because he was asking...

Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pa use to have inspections twice a year!!Jerks. $$$$$$$

Closed Thread