Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-28-2002, 10:13 AM

I hope someone can help me with this as my car is ready to be put away for the winter. I took it out ((66 goat, tripower, 4-speed) on Sunday to fiil the tank. I got into the tripower and after I let off, there was this rattling noise coming from somewhere underneath. It sounded like a piece of wire wrapped around the driveshaft and was banging against the floorpan, although the noise was not quite that regular. It did vary with roadspeed. I did not see anything hanging loose but have not been underneath for a close inspection. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want this hanging over me all winter. Thanks.

Sam

Old 10-28-2002, 10:13 AM

I hope someone can help me with this as my car is ready to be put away for the winter. I took it out ((66 goat, tripower, 4-speed) on Sunday to fiil the tank. I got into the tripower and after I let off, there was this rattling noise coming from somewhere underneath. It sounded like a piece of wire wrapped around the driveshaft and was banging against the floorpan, although the noise was not quite that regular. It did vary with roadspeed. I did not see anything hanging loose but have not been underneath for a close inspection. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want this hanging over me all winter. Thanks.

Sam

Old 10-28-2002, 10:18 AM

Universal joints?

Old 10-28-2002, 01:57 PM

U-Joints would be a good place to start. I had some loose U-Joints in my LeMans and they mad a noise every time I would shift from park to drive or especially reverse. I did not get any noise at constant highway speeds, but they were not that loose. Easy check, put the car in neutral, then wiggle the driveline at both ends and see if there is any play. There should be no play, and the car does have to be in neutral.

Another thing to check, the tranny dust cover. If one of the bolts comes out and/or enough of them loosen, it can get to rattlen against the tranny or the block. I had this problem too, and it sounded like you described.

Finally, detonation can sound like that sometimes if it's really bad. That' kind of what mine sounded like when I first got my car and the timing wasn't set right. I swear I thought it was something banging against the bottom of the car. I checked everything, including removing the parking break cable. I checked and adjusted the timing, and the problem went away. I'd of bet money it was something banging against the car.

1965 GTO 4brl/4spd

Hi, my name is Jason . . . and I'm a Pontiholic!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

Sounds like a broken transmission mount or broken motor mount(s). This will usually make the most fuss when decelerating (in my experience). You might look into the u-joints as well.

Brakes?! We don't need no stinking brakes!

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/