Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 PM

Default 69 GTO camber caster , 2" drop spindles

please help if you can , this is not my best subject so bare with me please . i have a 69 GTO and i have installed a set of 2" drop spindles . i have replaced all the bushings in the upper and lower A frames with poly. and have installed new ball joint upper and lower too.
as my car sits on the garage floor with the engine in the car and the front clip on , the top of the front tires tip out . i have put shims in to correct th problem but this has not completely solved the problem . could it be that i have big car upper A frames ? or is it the 2" drop spindles are changing the geometry . i could add more shims but WOW what a stack that would be . where am i going wrong ?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hello, sound like you've done some nice work there. Love to see pictures.

The drop spindles should not alter the Caster. I wondering if you have new springs installed. Unsettled new springs would cause positive (outward tilt at top of tire) caster. Another possibility is that even with the engine and front clip freshly installed the car has not settled in properly yet.

I would put the alignment issue on the back burner until after she's on the road a bit. A lot of our stock control arm equipped 'A' bodies do require quite a few ugly shims to correct.

Carlos

Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 AM

carlos
the springs are not new but the car sat for many years with out an engine or front clip . i understood that the 2" drop spindles would not change the geometry of the suspension . is this correct?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've installed several drop kits on A-Bodies and never had any caster issues. Most vendors tell you it will not alter factory alignment angles, but the don't help them either. Shimmed before will still be shimmed after.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 PM

Talking

carlos , thanks for the confidence builder , if you would like to see some pics of the prodject drop me your email @ eng@shelmet.net

Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

E-Mail sent..