Old 02-15-2005, 04:38 PM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

Yup, I think we'll part her out. The guy who sold us the car says he feels "real bad" and wants to "give us" another Lemans, if he can get it himself.
Yes,, the rocker extensions are in pretty good, "driver" shape. The car also has a 400 turbo transmission with the driveline to go back to the rear, which is a 10 bolt.don't know if it is posi because the drum is frozen.The grill is pretty good, only cracked through in one spot (between the pass headlights), and all the "checkers" are intact. All the window regulators are good and show little wear. Remember this is a 1 owner car with 125,000 on it. Too bad they left it to rot. The back seat is in very good shape and does not even need re-covering. Anyway, email me with your needs at fredvolz2003@juno.com. I'll try to be fair with the price, and may rely on your honor as to the true value.

Maybe the object lesson can be "It gave it's life that others may live"....
wattaya think?

Old 02-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks Fred! You have mail...

Jim.

* RA-IV 'spec' 400 (.060-over = 410ci), balanced, Comp Cams #9794041, #16 heads (72cc converted to large valve) with 1.65 Harland Sharp Rollers
* QuadraJet #7042210, HEI, Hurst V-Gate, FlowTech Headers, X-Pipe with dumps, Flowmasters, TH-350, 3.90 Posi
* Best ET: 14.06 - Bandimere Speedway, CO. @ 5,800+'
Old 03-01-2005, 04:40 PM
"Teacher

Update-
We now have the car completely dismantled.It has been dubbed "Crusty" by the morning class. This morning we cut out the trunk floor and.....Yay! the supports for the frame and gas tank are good! No rust to be found except some surface rust. We removed the right q-panel and found that the outer wheel well had been previously damaged and then repaired in a slip-shod manner. This will obviously have to go. The kids are excited with our "turtle shell". The morning class can already see the potential now that all the nasty stuff has been removed. We are still looking for a cowl section and package tray sheet metal/ seat divider section. We have stripped the front fenders and they are not too bad, needing a patch panel on the heel and the L-e-m-a-n-s letter holes welded in.
We were also surprised to find that it came with a turbo 400 tranny .That gave us hope that it might also have a posi.... no such luck .

This is also my first Pontiac engine teardown. Wow! What a motor! No more Mopars for this guy! It has all the "aftermarket" improvements stock from the factory: windage tray, "air gap" manifold, dual valve springs,ect. Nice looking casting on the head ports, too. Not much porting needed it looks like. Beefy crank shaft and thick cylinder walls. Why does anyone build a Chevy when these are around? BTW what size valves are these? It is a two barrel 350 "YS" engine. It's all numbers matching. Anyone care to swap me for a 400?

Old 03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
"Teacher

We have acquired a cowl section and package tray section. (hooray!)
We have begun work on replacing the upper cowl section...very challenging! We drilled out the spot welds across the front top of the cowl extension, and then cut back along the seam. We then cut the pillars at the corners, measuring everything and recording the measurements for future reference....I hope this turns out!

We also cut out the right side of the floor for replacement. Again, the framework and braces all look good. The left side has a couple of small holes (about like a nickel) just ahead and inside of the outboard seat mount and a bit next to the shifter cable hole. I don't think it justifies cutting the whole floor out.Whaddaya think?

I hope to have some pics of all this, but for some reason my pics (62K) won't post, except for the very first one.
The kids are enjoying coming in each day to see how far " 'Ol Crusty" has come since yesterday.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Windage tray, "YS" code....Teacher, what's the date and casting number on that engine?
They should be cast right by the distributor hole.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did some checking just to make sure and the only "YS" coded 350 was made in 1974...according to all sources I checked anyway. If it's truly a '69 YS, it would be a 400, 350hp engine.
What is the head code? It's the two digit code on the center siamesed exhaust ports.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM
"Teacher

Greg,
As my students might say, "My bad". It is actually an "XS". The casting number on the back is 9790078 (or 9, the last digit is a bit hard to make out, as it is crammed right against the wall). The number stamped on the front is 0361743 with "XS" under it. The heads are "47". I'm pretty sure this is the original 350 engine that came in the car, as this was actually a low mile, one owner car that was simply left outside for 21 years without being used. But yes, it has a windage tray. It seemed kind of odd to me that a dual valve spring, windage tray engine would be a bottom of the line two barrel car. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pictures, pictures......

If you can resize them to about 100k or so, they should post.

George

Old 03-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

XS is a 265 HP 350 for 69...and yes....Pictures, please!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 PM
"Teacher

I'll see if I can get the student who took the photos to try to reduce them. But let's try once more first.
[img]Dsc03522[/img]

Old 03-25-2005, 11:41 AM
"Teacher

This topic has been moved to the Body Shop section under "Student Resto Project". There are photos and updates there as well. I am still hoping for donations of GTO parts, so if you are of a mind, email me and I can give you the address of the school, and perhaps pay shipping costs.