Old 04-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rocker arm nut dilema

I had some head work done (new rocker arm stud) done and bought new nuts and rocker washers from Summit. The nut bottoms out before the lifter is compressed because the the threads were cut to the bottom of the nut. The originals have about 3/16" that is hollowed out to allow it to slide down on the non threaded portion of the stud. Looks like I need to get the correct nuts for Pontiac, not Chevy. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	480033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	480034  

Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Those do not even look to be a hardened nut. Check with a NAPA warehouse in your area.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Those do not even look to be a hardened nut. Check with a NAPA warehouse in your area.
Thanks, I checked with Rock Auto, NPD, O'Reilly and none of them had any. I just checked NAPA and voila, just ordered 16 of them.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory stud is 7/16" thick in the non-threaded area & tapers to the 3/8" thread. That short length of taper matches the taper inside the factory rocker nut. These nuts do not need to be super tight as it is the two tapers locking together that keeps the nut from backing off.
If you still have too much clearance with the new nuts, fit a thin 7/16"washer between the nut & ball.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just picked up new rocker arm studs from NAPA. They are the CORRECT nuts, much to my surprise since Summit couldn't get it right. Thanks to "Chief of the 60's".