Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-08-2002, 01:30 AM

Just curious because im starting to doubt my work. What actually keeps the oil pump drive shaft from moving around. like left and right. Is there something that goes on the pump after you slip the drive shaft in and mount the pump. Also does any one have a correct screen height? Any special procedures Im missing? Thanks again guys, any info appreciated.

Old 02-08-2002, 01:30 AM

Just curious because im starting to doubt my work. What actually keeps the oil pump drive shaft from moving around. like left and right. Is there something that goes on the pump after you slip the drive shaft in and mount the pump. Also does any one have a correct screen height? Any special procedures Im missing? Thanks again guys, any info appreciated.

Old 02-08-2002, 02:32 AM

I believe the correct screen height is 3/8" from the bottom of the pan.

The oil pump shaft will lay to the side of the block once inserted into the drive until you install the distributor. I don't install the pump shaft until everything else is done. You can even wait till the motor is in the car if you want. The bottom of the distributor gear has a small rod that goes across it that the end of the oil pump shaft fits into. It can sometimes be a little tricky to get it to engage. Just make sure that the distributor body bottoms against the block. When it does it is properly installed. You will have to turn the distributor a little off center as it will rotate as it engages in the cam gear. You will feel it when it drops in.

I would very strongly reccomend that you first prime the engine by rotating the shaft with a drill to about 60psi before you install the distributor. If you don't you will have a lot of extra wear on the parts.

I hope this helps.