Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-06-2002, 08:19 PM

I looking for suggestions for what spark plug wires fit best. I am putting together a 71 455 with HEI ignition. Do the plug wires need 135 degree boots to fit good or will the straight boots be o.k.? I was thinking Spiro-Pro, but looking for some suggestions for fit. Seems like every set I got over the years was too short or long. Maybe it was my routing procedure.

Old 02-06-2002, 08:19 PM

I looking for suggestions for what spark plug wires fit best. I am putting together a 71 455 with HEI ignition. Do the plug wires need 135 degree boots to fit good or will the straight boots be o.k.? I was thinking Spiro-Pro, but looking for some suggestions for fit. Seems like every set I got over the years was too short or long. Maybe it was my routing procedure.

Old 02-06-2002, 08:23 PM
On Vacation

Its not the routing Sherm. I have yet to find a set that fits correctly either. I make my own now. The closest ones I ever had were the Accel 8.8's and that's still what I use now, i just buy the "make your own" set.

Any deviation from stock, taller valve covers, etc, etc, and the "custom fit" wires just won't do. I use the straight ends, even with my 2" primary headers and they still all fit. I have slight problems with the #7, as the header pipe comes over the steering collumn there, but its not a huge deal.

Make your own and you'll save yourself all kinds of time and money.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: 0 ]</p>

Old 02-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Get a set for a BB chevy with Hei! I've had the best results with them.

Old 02-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Big Block Chevy Hei from Taylor 8mm Spiro pro custom fit will do the trick. You can use 135,90, or straight it doesn't matter on a pontiac.

Old 02-06-2002, 10:46 PM

I personally make my own always have. I got rid of the 8.8mm yellow wires for a more stock appearing Moroso 8.0mm black wire. If you make your own buy a wire crimping tool. I like strait boots. It might sound strange but it's kind of artistic, yes it is strange.

Old 02-06-2002, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put on a set of Bosch from Autozone. They are red in color and have 135 degree ends; they fit OK but I would like cylinders 7 and 8 to be a little longer.
I personally do not like the 'roll your own" set of wires; seems like the plug end terminals come off too easy. A proper crimping tool may resolve this problem, however.
Regards, George

Old 02-07-2002, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

George,

I have an MSD crimping tool. I've used it on Moroso "Blue Max" wires and Accel wires and haven't had any problems with the ends pulling off. It wasn't cheap, but I'll never buy another "custom fit" set of wires again!

I like the Blue Max wires for my Formula, they sort of fit with the "blue" theme of the car.

Old 02-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will, The MSD crimping tool; is that the MSD 3505?
Racesearch has it for $53.99. Decent price?

Regards, George

Old 02-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will: sorry, another question: Is there a manufacturer's name on that tool? If so, such as AMP, I may be able to find it elsewhere, maybe at a better price.....

Regards, George

Old 02-07-2002, 01:03 PM

I've been using Jacobs for years. In my opinion they are the highest quality I have ever seen. I'm sure that someone out there that could find something better and cheaper, but I haven't.

They have 3 differnt "kits". You can cut them to the length you want, or buy them stock length or get them a few inches longer than stock. You also have a choice of a 90 or straight boot. The straight boots can be bent to any angle and will stay there permanently once heat is applied to them. I believe that they are 8mm or 8.8mm.

The ends are siliconed to the boots and you get a little tube of grease with them to help them slide over the plugs. They snap on tighter than any other wire I've used, and I've tried lots of different ones. I have always used the straight boots and the extra long wires and I have no problems with length. Even with headers and tall valve covers. I use a high output coil in my HEI as well and in total darkness you will see no spark scatter. Even with the #5 and #7 wires laying on each other! I wouldn't use anything else.

You can get them from Jegs or Summit and they will run you about 70 bucks. Well worth the money.
If money is no option their ceramic wires are even better yet from what I've heard. Very expensive though at 150 bucks. I've never used them myself but have heard a lot of good things from people who have.

I can't remember the part number that I use off the top of my head but if anyone wants to know what it is I can get it.

I hope I wasn't too long winded on this! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MSD-3505 at Summit for $49.95.

Old 02-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bart, what type of heat? From a heatgun or from the heat of the engine? They sound like the ticket for me. My wires are the straight boot style and I have a problem with #7 touching the steering column.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
Old 02-07-2002, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the ideas. When I was at Norwalk last year I should have paid attention to what people were using. Just some of the last little items before motor goes in. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2002, 08:17 PM

They will set just from the heat of the engine. It only takes a few minutes once the engine reaches operating temperature. Most of the people that I do tune ups for go with the jacobs wires when they see the difference in quality. They make them for just about any vehicle and will often outlast the vehicle. I use them on my taurus and my suburban as well. You won't be dissapointed.

Just remember that once you make the bend and it heats it you can't repostion it, so make sure you get it the way you want it before you fire it up. Here's the web site address for more info.

Plug Wires

Old 02-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, and 1 more question, If the boots bend to the angle you want and then harden in that position do the boots stay flexible and remove easily from the spark plugs when it's time to change them?

"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
Old 02-08-2002, 12:43 AM

yup, they sure do. You can still bend them but they will always return to their "set" position. I guess if you used a lot of force you might be able to change it. I don't know how that would affect the wire though. You could even pull on the wire and not the boot to remove them and you will never pull the crimp off the wire or move the boot, unless you have done the criming yourself. It's best to get the longer than stock wires and not to crimp them yourself. You just can't do as good of a job as the factory does. I have pulled the crimps off the wires when I made my own lengths. You will see why when you get them.