Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-30-2002, 11:34 PM

Anyone use octane booster in their street 64-389 GTO? What brand gives the best results? I tried 104+ with no big improvement. Any harm to motor with regular use? My motor is the original 389 Tri- power(except for MSD 6AL). Thanks.

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: John B. ]</p>

Old 01-30-2002, 11:34 PM

Anyone use octane booster in their street 64-389 GTO? What brand gives the best results? I tried 104+ with no big improvement. Any harm to motor with regular use? My motor is the original 389 Tri- power(except for MSD 6AL). Thanks.

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: John B. ]</p>

Old 01-31-2002, 01:28 AM

The December 2001 issue of Hot Rod had a very good article on octane boosters that you might want to read. Several tests were done and some boosters helped while others didn't do anything. I've even heard of some boosters lowering the octane. I think you'd have much better luck not using the booster and just using a high octane race gas if it's available in your area. I'm pretty sure you'd get better results.

Old 01-31-2002, 01:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use Torco 'Accelerator' leaded additive in my car. One quart turns 10 gallons of 93 octane no-lead into somewhat higher (they say 104) octane fuel. I get no more pinging since I started using this stuff. I'm running 36 degrees total advance, all in by 3000 rpm, in a stock '68 GTO. The total price of the blended fuel (Torco plus 93 octane no-lead) is cheaper than the 104 octane Cam2 no-lead I can get at a station near me.

'Accelerator' costs $14/quart and Torco can be reached at http://www.torcoracefuels.com and click on the 'Power Products' link.

Hope this helps.

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: goathead68 ]

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: goathead68 ]</p>

Old 01-31-2002, 02:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used to use some octane booster from Checker/Kragens that was in a 32oz red can. Cost about $5/6 and I would dump in the whole can. Without it I would have to back off the timing and we all hate to do that!

Old 01-31-2002, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I go the leaded race gas route. I put one gallon of 110-114 race to nine 93 octane and have no problems. You may want to experiment to see what your car would be happy with. And I love the smell too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2002, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What CR's you guys running?

Phil

Old 02-01-2002, 01:12 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Just mix half and half with 100LL avgas. It's available at your local general aviation airport. Take a coupla five-gallon fuel jugs over, and if the pump (most are automated) asks
for the tail number of an aircraft, just look around you and punch in the number on the nearest Cessna.

Some don't like it, I've never had a problem with it. And it's way less expensive than race gas.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 02-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My CR is rated at 10.75 to 1 (stock). The motor was rebuilt before I bought the car, so I can't give you the true CR. However, the car pings a lot if I don't jazz up the gas-93 doesn't cut it. The car runs good if I go 50/50 93 no-lead with the 104 no-lead, which averages out to almost 99 octane. My engine, therefore, is still fairly high compression. The car also likes the timing (36 total) where it's set, so I have no choice but to blend the gas.

At the track, I fill 'er up with 110 leaded and play all day. Love the smell. The Torco additive I use (at least for me) is a good substitute to finding (and paying for) the higher octane gas. No general aviation airports handy, either. Plus, with the lead in it, it's a lot easier to read the plugs, and the tailpipes have that nice tan color inside.

I've tried other octane boosters, and I get the best results with the Torco 'Accelerator'. I'm toying with the idea of getting a drum of 110 leaded (cheaper than buying it at the track) and keeping it in my shed, and then experiment with the blending percentages until I find the 'sweet spot'. The only bad thing (if there is such a thing) of using racing gas is that the mileage goes all to he##. I use the car for more than racing and burning rubber-it's a driver.

Old 02-05-2002, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The AV Gas is a good idea too bad you have no airports in your area. AV Gas is only $2.00 a gallon so it would be a good first choice. I used to use a product from Vogel Products. It is true tetraethel lead, which is the same stuff that used to be in pump gas, and what is used in race gas. This stuff will raise your octane proportionate to how much you add. Most of not all of the octane boosters sold at your local auto parts store are worthless. I am not familar with the Torco additive though and don't know where it is sold. The tetraethel lead is available through mail order from:

Vogel Products
860 Repp Dr.
Columbus, IN 47201
812-376-2775

Tim Corcoran

Old 02-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Torco 'Accelerator' can be ordered from Torco at www.torcoracefuels.com or 1-800-678-6726. They're located in Michigan. The additive comes in leaded and unleaded forms, and is sold in quart cans. I order a case of 6, which usually lasts me three months or so (depending on how much I use the car). They ship it to me UPS, with no problems so far.

Ken

Old 02-05-2002, 11:13 PM

You know if you do not have a high CR, more octane has no advantage. I run 9.5.1 comprestion, octane or race gas has no advantage. If I have detonation, I'm runnig to lean, my timming is off or I got some bad gas. If your running 34-36 degrees total and you have no detonation consider youself lucky and up your pledge at your local charity.

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: 0 ]</p>

Old 02-06-2002, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

here's an in depth study on using toluene as an inexpensive alternative to octane booters.
http://www.wauknet.com/douthitt/octane.htm

Old 02-06-2002, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One problem with using octane boosters is the effect it has on neopreme accelerator pumps in your carburetor. Would highly suggest the use of leather accelerator pumps if you plan to use octane booster. Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.