Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-04-2002, 11:28 PM

Recently came across a used camshaft while sorting thru some pontiac stuff that I acquired several years ago. The part# on the cam is 540233, which, according to http://www.classicalpontiac/restoration/cams.html is the solid tappet '61-'62 389 SD cam. The cam appears to be in good cond, with no wear on the lobes, (checked with calibers).
My question is this: Would this be a worthwhile cam for a street/strip engine? 428, #16 heads (stock), 3x2's, 4speed, 3:55 rear, 66 GTO.
The specs on this cam are similar to the RA4 041 cam, except for a lower lift (405).
Other than lifter bore oil restrictors, are there any other modifications that need to be done to the engine. Can I use stock type rocker arms/studs, or will I need some type of locking arrangement.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:28 PM

Recently came across a used camshaft while sorting thru some pontiac stuff that I acquired several years ago. The part# on the cam is 540233, which, according to http://www.classicalpontiac/restoration/cams.html is the solid tappet '61-'62 389 SD cam. The cam appears to be in good cond, with no wear on the lobes, (checked with calibers).
My question is this: Would this be a worthwhile cam for a street/strip engine? 428, #16 heads (stock), 3x2's, 4speed, 3:55 rear, 66 GTO.
The specs on this cam are similar to the RA4 041 cam, except for a lower lift (405).
Other than lifter bore oil restrictors, are there any other modifications that need to be done to the engine. Can I use stock type rocker arms/studs, or will I need some type of locking arrangement.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you would need poly locks or lock nuts.I have a NOS #8 cam and NOS pontiac solids now.Have also thought about useing it.I think it is real close to being a soild version of the 744 cam.The 041 is a hyd. version of the old #10 cam.Also might need dif. pushrods.Tom

Old 02-06-2002, 10:09 PM
Boost Engineer

The mcKeller #8 cam will work very well in a 428 type motor. I ran a McKeller #10 cam for years in a 400 motor with no problems and no restrictors.
The nos lifters from melling tool had the built in
restrictors inside them. I agree with Tom S. that
the #8 acts a lot like a 744 hydrallic cam but
will rev better. Now that Comp Cams is offering the 1.65 roller tip rockers you can get back to
close to the factory SD lift spec. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember in the early 60s,some guys would run the # 8 with Hyd. lifters as it was more potent than the 068 cam,I think some even tried it on the #10.Tom