Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i got a 66 tempest that all of a sudden something is killing the battery.i have a 455 and have a relay runing the hei.i thought that was it,but i unhook it and rub the positive cable over the battery post and there is still some faint sparks.i dont have a rally clock or anything of the such.the altenator was acting up while this was going on so i replaced it.same thing and now when i run the car a few minutes,it doesnt want to shut off right away when i turn off the key.HELLLLP>

Old 02-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i got a 66 tempest that all of a sudden something is killing the battery.i have a 455 and have a relay runing the hei.i thought that was it,but i unhook it and rub the positive cable over the battery post and there is still some faint sparks.i dont have a rally clock or anything of the such.the altenator was acting up while this was going on so i replaced it.same thing and now when i run the car a few minutes,it doesnt want to shut off right away when i turn off the key.HELLLLP>

Old 02-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Your on the right track by rubbing the pos. cable and checking for sparks. Pull one fuse at a time and rub the magic cable. When it stops sparking you will know what circuit to work on. At least you will have a general idea on area of the car to start checking. Good luck.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 02-04-2002, 08:35 PM

Disconnect the negative battery cable and put a test light between the cable and the negative post on the battery. If you have a draw the light will light. pull fuse untill the light goes out and that will tell you where the draw is. Something to think about is what have you added lately that would cause this problem? If you need anymore help feel free to email me.

Old 02-04-2002, 08:42 PM

Two more things to check. Does the alt light stay on when the key is off? If it does the unit has a bad diode in it and will make the car continue to stay running when the key is off. Check the voltage regulator and the wiring to the regulator. Put a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is. Should be 13.6 to 14.2 volts. Turn the headlights on and see what the meter does. The voltage should drop for a secound then climb right back up. To check the regulator and alt properly to have to full field the alt. At 2000 rpm it should put out the amount of amps that is stamped on the alt.I have found that many of the old mechanical regulators stick and cause alot of problems. You are better off with an electronic one. Hope this helps you.

Old 02-04-2002, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yea, what Carl said.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 02-05-2002, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume you have a mechanical regulator. Remove the battery wire (terminal 3) from the regulator. If you have a stuck relay in the regulator, this will remove the source of your current drain.
What happens in this case is that the battery wire backfeeds thru your idiot light and actually powers the circuits conected to the ignition side of your switch. Since you also are using a relay for the HEI, the relay requires a lot less voltage (and current) to stay held on and the backfed current thru the idiot lite apparently is enough to hold your relay on. Pulling the idiot lite wire (terminal 4) should do the same thing (removing the backfeed).
Regards, George

Old 02-05-2002, 02:27 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

I hate electrical problems. Ir's nice to have guys here who understand DC systems. I think life is too short for me to learn.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 02-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Electrical problems are not that hard to diagnose, but without a wiring diagram they're near impossible to figure out, especially with modern cars. I invest in a service manual everytime I get another car.
Regards, George

Old 02-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks a thousand times over for the great advise.I am going to try and work on it tonight
or tommorrow night.I will let yall know what i found out.Thanks again..bigunde

Old 02-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ok guys,i found the battery killing culprit.it was the dome light fuse.crazy thing is that there in no bulb in there,do to the fact that i couldnt get it to go out a long time ago.i had replaced the door switches and sometimes they would go out and sometimes they wouldnt.no biggie.i am going to take the car out for a
spin today and will let yall know if it keeps running with the key off.thanks again for all yalls help.