Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-05-2002, 10:43 PM

I'm fairly new to Pontiac Muscle cars and need some help. What RPM is the Tri-power suppose to kick in.I have a Tempest-Lemans shop manual that does not include the 389.Whats the disadvantage of it kicking in too soon other than gas consumption? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:43 PM

I'm fairly new to Pontiac Muscle cars and need some help. What RPM is the Tri-power suppose to kick in.I have a Tempest-Lemans shop manual that does not include the 389.Whats the disadvantage of it kicking in too soon other than gas consumption? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have mechanical linkage they will all be open when you floor it. If you have vacuum linkage it will be totally different. I don’t recall exact numbers, but they will start opening around 2000-2500 and be fully open somewhere around 4000 or above. The disadvantage of opening all three carbs too soon is that you open up more venturi than the engine can handle. This lowers the velocity through the carbs and results in less power. A stock 64 tri-power has to be at about 2500 before all three carbs open will make as much horsepower as the single two barrel wide open.

Old 02-06-2002, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

john B. The disadvantage of kicking in the front and rear dumpers to soon, other than gas consumption, is LOSS OF TORQUE, the smaller the engine the later you kick them in. Old Man Taylor might want to add to this one, as he has a lot of experience with the tri-power.

Old 02-06-2002, 01:27 AM

Thanks for the replys. I have mechanical linkage.I'm getting the tri power boost at 3,600 rpm.Should I up it to 4,000 rpm.I don't race.Car is for local shows and enjoyment.I case it matters, rear is 3.90. 4 speed M-20. JB.

Old 02-06-2002, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try this site. http://www.pontiactripower.com

Old 02-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory adjustments were mechanical, not by RPM.

Mechanical linkage - loosen the lock nut on the center to rear linkage. Manually hold the center carburetor in the wide open position. Adjust the length of the center to rear rod such that the rear carb opens to wide open position. Tighten lock nut.

Vacuum linkage - manually open the center carburetor to wide open position. The distance from the top of the slider switch post should be one and nine-thirty-seconds to the top of the switch. Adjust by loosening the two switch bracket screws, and moving the switch.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.