Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-04-2002, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thing to look for with a leak around the dipstick tube is the tube itself.
Sometimes the tube gets cracked around the bottom and will leak even if you replace the o-ring.
Check it out while you're changing the o-ring.
Good luck-
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2002, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thing to look for with a leak around the dipstick tube is the tube itself.
Sometimes the tube gets cracked around the bottom and will leak even if you replace the o-ring.
Check it out while you're changing the o-ring.
Good luck-
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2002, 09:18 PM

Thanks I'll remember that. I fixed it saturday. It appears sofar not to be leaking, but if it starts again I'll take a closer look. It was a easy fix. I just did'nt want to jerking on stuff. The board pointed me in the right direction, but I'll never tell if I used blue-goo or not [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] My wife was pleased and the rest of the day was spent down at Boyetts Speed Shop in Raliegh .Originally I thought it was the pan, replaced that gasket twice, thinking I must have over torqued the pan bolts. The head county sheriff is a Hot Rodder he tipped me off on the dipstick tube. Thanks for the tip............Tim

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: 0 ]</p>

Old 02-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The most effective way to permenantly stop transmission filler tube leaks is to upgrade the tube. The later transmissions use a multiple lip seal in lieu of the "O" ring. You can purchase universal dipsticks with the new style seal. Another method is to purchase a replacement end for the original tube. The original tube must be cut about 1.5" and the new end brazed in place. It can be glued on with a commercial grade epoxy but brazing is preferred.

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),