Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Senior Chief

the engine was rebuilt,new trw pistons,don't know what kind of rods. Someone,maybe Brian Baker mentioned the rods,how to tell if they are forged or not. I don't remember. but the rods have a very thin seam. anyways,the heads are off,and when I turn the crank,the pistons come up flush with the block,maybe a hair over the top of the block. what exactly is zero decked,and has that been done to my car? thanks guys,The Rookie.

Old 02-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Senior Chief

the engine was rebuilt,new trw pistons,don't know what kind of rods. Someone,maybe Brian Baker mentioned the rods,how to tell if they are forged or not. I don't remember. but the rods have a very thin seam. anyways,the heads are off,and when I turn the crank,the pistons come up flush with the block,maybe a hair over the top of the block. what exactly is zero decked,and has that been done to my car? thanks guys,The Rookie.

Old 02-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Charles, You will need to get either a depth Mike or a dial indicator stand & dial indicator to check your deck height. Zero deck means the piston is at the same exact height as the deck surface. It is possible this was done to your block but you will need the above tools to check.

Old 02-10-2002, 02:34 AM
On Vacation

Possibly a cheaper way to do this would be checking the block and piston with a straight edge. This method would tell you if your motor was at "0" or not, but would not give you any further details if the motor was not at "0".

Old 02-10-2002, 04:36 AM
Senior Chief

If I put a straight edge on it,the piston would touch the straight edge,maybe move it up a very minor fraction. If the piston don't come even with the block,it is damned close. Thanks guys.

Old 02-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Charles, do you have access to a couple of the
"feeler gage" tools? If you have two gages you can evenly put strips on both sides of the bore
until you see daylight between the straight edge
and the piston and it will tell you how far out of
the hole you are. Tom

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you've got cast rods. No worry. I have the tools if you are concerned about checking deck height before we put the heads back on.