Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-10-2002, 08:50 PM

I need to know where to find the field relay plug in for a voltage regulator for my 69' Catalina. Let me make sure I've got the right part name since I'm looking for it in some auto mechanic book. Basically the little cylindrical piece, that plugs into the single terminal on the regulator. On the opposite side of the 4 terminals lined up next to each other. My battery is being drained of power, and I'm not sure why. I can completely charge it, drive the car, then leave it overnight, and the next day it won't even be able to turn over the starter. Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 02-10-2002, 08:50 PM

I need to know where to find the field relay plug in for a voltage regulator for my 69' Catalina. Let me make sure I've got the right part name since I'm looking for it in some auto mechanic book. Basically the little cylindrical piece, that plugs into the single terminal on the regulator. On the opposite side of the 4 terminals lined up next to each other. My battery is being drained of power, and I'm not sure why. I can completely charge it, drive the car, then leave it overnight, and the next day it won't even be able to turn over the starter. Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 02-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That piece is not goin to help you. Take the car to auto zone Pep boys or wherever for a free electrical check. Have them test the battery starter alt and regulator. Make sure battery has water in it. You could have a short someplace drawing down the battery. Test voltage with positive cable not hooked up to car then hook it up and test again . If volts are the same no draw not the problem.Auto zone can do this also. If there is a draw look for obvious trunk lite on underhood lite on tailights on . With a cheap ampmeter you can see which circuit on the fuse box is drawing amps when key is off which will help eliminate the source.Good luck

Old 02-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds to me like a short somewhere. They can be tough to find. When you have one it's almost like leaving a light on. I would start followind all wiring harnesses. Do what Txbobcat suggests first to save you some hair pulling. I had one in my GTO for years but didn't drive it every day so it didn't bother me too much. I used to just disconnect the battery when I parked it. for fear of a fire. It turned out being a wire got clamped between the brake master cylinder and the firewall when I last changed the master. I found it when I replaced the harness under the hood. Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-11-2002, 09:30 PM

Disconnect the negative battery cable and put a test light in between the cable and the battery post. start pulling fuses until the light goes out. Theres your draw. If your having a problem with the regulator what could have happened is the you fried the battery and have a bad cell in it. Usually the bad cell will turn black. When you charge the battery it will last a while but will die overnight. If the battery is good and fully charged it would take one hell of a draw to kill it overnight. From experience I would say at least a 7-10 amp draw to do this. There arent many things that are on battery that would draw this much. Hope this helps you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2002, 12:28 AM

I bought a condensor for the voltage regulator at Schuck's but the end isn't a plug in, it's just a piece of metal. Do they sell the plug in part by itself? I could just splice two wires together and then it would work fine.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 02-13-2002, 02:35 AM

Put a new voltage regulator and condensor on a couple minutes ago, and the car turned over like normal. Guess I solved the problem lol.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather