THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Don't take my posts as gospel, please verify all topics as they apply to your specific situation.

Some of the things come to mind (intended as positive reinforcement FWIW):

IIRC - By law they have to offer you COBRA health insurance...that can charge you up to 100% above the previous contribution rate (by the co & yours?) and is handled directly by the insurance company. Usually some wait time until you receive the enrollment info and costs. Can be pricey $$$ wise...

Hence my suggestion is to "hit it hard" now while you can wo distraction of your new child, etc. and can establish your local job seeking professional networks and be in que for openings to be fill before year end (happens often) and the time/your severance/and cash flow can go by fast, fast, fast. And important to be able to have others to share "realities" associated with being between positions, and current interviewing trends, questions, etc.

Severance $$$ have to be declared, so - again- perhaps best to focus on networking, local engineering etc. gatherings.
I just got a copy of the severance, and its pretty good all things considered. They are offering me pay, and they are covering 2 months of medical insurance for us, so that is very good.

Yea they do offer us COBRA, which I will look into if January goes by and I dont have anything.

They covered 80% of the insurance cost, so I know how much it is, haha

Fortunately we have been very smart financially and have an emergency fund and owe very little. Thankfully our house closes next week so we dont have to worry about that.

I already was told by my old job that they want me back, but I dont want to go back to NM, or that job, so we will see.

So far today Ive applied to a couple places, and mostly been trying to calm my wife down, haha

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 12-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found out a few things over the years. 1) Things usually work out for the best, 2) I'm the best boss I ever had!! Best of luck. Things will work out.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I have found out a few things over the years. 1) Things usually work out for the best, 2) I'm the best boss I ever had!! Best of luck. Things will work out.
are you hiring? hahah thanks man

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, that truly sucks today. In the future, you will be so glad. You have VERY marketable skills, and will find better. Totally agree with all Trashcan said. Have seen it over and over. Just know that you will be taken care of and go forward with confidence and Faith.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the supervisors at my work (telecommunications and wireless giant) just got riffed this afternoon. One of the two local managers in my old department. No warning signs, just cutting back.

They just don't care.

Sorry to hear of your situation, hope it leads to something better.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the words guys.

Onwards and Upwards!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for the news, but things do tend to work out. Good luck.

I'm sure they provided you a severance agreement to sign that protects them from future liability. If so, and if you haven't signed it yet, you might consider getting a little legal advice. The employer wants things to go smooth and avoiding a fight is usually worth a few more dollars than they initially offer. Don't get me wrong, you are an at will employee and have few rights as such, but a little resistance and negotiation might get you a better severance or your bonus. You don't want to push it too hard because you don't have a great hand to play, but these things are typically like buying a car. You don't get your best deal right off the bat.

Again, good luck.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like that job sucked and your managers were serious toolbags. Engineers are in demand, I doubt you'll be out of work for long and hopefully you'll find a position at a company that is willing to support their employees and give them the tools to succeed.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Sorry for the news, but things do tend to work out. Good luck.

I'm sure they provided you a severance agreement to sign that protects them from future liability. If so, and if you haven't signed it yet, you might consider getting a little legal advice. The employer wants things to go smooth and avoiding a fight is usually worth a few more dollars than they initially offer. Don't get me wrong, you are an at will employee and have few rights as such, but a little resistance and negotiation might get you a better severance or your bonus. You don't want to push it too hard because you don't have a great hand to play, but these things are typically like buying a car. You don't get your best deal right off the bat.

Again, good luck.
I have a friend who is a lawyer, but I didnt want to impose, so I called a lawyer here first, but the guy never called me back. My buddy called me earlier and asked how things were goign so I laid it all on him.

He offered to take a look at the docs, so we will see.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel your pain I was working for a defense contractor for the government,and the boss guess don't like me and targets me out ,I come to work do my job but she nick picks everything and she extended my probation when I had 2 days left,then my extended probations is abut up I get suspended for being out of my work area email labor relations in regards to the day before when a co worker said some deframaning remarks bout me,so after 2 weeks of no phone calls being returned from the union and labor relations so I end up getting fired with 3 days left on probation,and all this right before Christmas also ,so I feel you pain

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Technically the shouldn't fire you while your wife is pregnant. It has been successfully argued in court in some states as being discriminatory. I'd see an employment lawyer. In any case you are better off being out of there. Nothing worse than working for a bunch of pricks.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeap; Post #1 says much.

Yeap: been 5 years since my first/only layoff. Thanking the Lord for thaaat. HIS

Old 12-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your job loss. I'm an engineer also.

I scanned through this quickly, so this may be repeated. You asked if severance affects unemployment.

I live in NC. The last time I was laid off was about ten years ago. In general, you can't collect unemployment until after your severance runs out. There is an exception to that rule that I used. If you are signed up for training that improves your chances of getting a job, you can begin to collect right away, or as soon as the class starts.

I wa laid off in late December as well, and had six months of severance pay. I signed up for two courses starting the first of January at the local community college and began drawing unemployment as soon as classes started.

That rule may be unique to NC, and it may even have changed here. I know NC recently cut the maximum amount of unemployment a person could draw.

Good luck. I think the job market is pretty good for an engineer out there right now.

Mike

Old 12-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds just like a job I had before I got my current job. I had an idiot supervisor who liked his a$$ kissed by a person who was supposed to train me in doing a bunch of computer programming that I had never done in my life and he and the boss knew than when I was interviewed. I got thrown under the bus countless times by that butt kisser. He was the worst teacher I have ever had. He would never explain anything and just told me to Goggle it. Really? Hope everything works out for you.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6704gto View Post
I feel your pain I was working for a defense contractor for the government,and the boss guess don't like me and targets me out ,I come to work do my job but she nick picks everything and she extended my probation when I had 2 days left,then my extended probations is abut up I get suspended for being out of my work area email labor relations in regards to the day before when a co worker said some deframaning remarks bout me,so after 2 weeks of no phone calls being returned from the union and labor relations so I end up getting fired with 3 days left on probation,and all this right before Christmas also ,so I feel you pain
man that sucks, at least in my old job my coworkers were decent, just my supervisor was a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your job loss. I'm an engineer also.

I scanned through this quickly, so this may be repeated. You asked if severance affects unemployment.

I live in NC. The last time I was laid off was about ten years ago. In general, you can't collect unemployment until after your severance runs out. There is an exception to that rule that I used. If you are signed up for training that improves your chances of getting a job, you can begin to collect right away, or as soon as the class starts.

I wa laid off in late December as well, and had six months of severance pay. I signed up for two courses starting the first of January at the local community college and began drawing unemployment as soon as classes started.

That rule may be unique to NC, and it may even have changed here. I know NC recently cut the maximum amount of unemployment a person could draw.

Good luck. I think the job market is pretty good for an engineer out there right now.

Mike
Thanks that is good to know. I contacted a labor lawyer, hopefully they call me back, until then fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
That sounds just like a job I had before I got my current job. I had an idiot supervisor who liked his a$$ kissed by a person who was supposed to train me in doing a bunch of computer programming that I had never done in my life and he and the boss knew than when I was interviewed. I got thrown under the bus countless times by that butt kisser. He was the worst teacher I have ever had. He would never explain anything and just told me to Goggle it. Really? Hope everything works out for you.
that sounds pretty much like me, except I got no training, and was getting thrown under the bus directly by my supervisor, SHEESH

I would get so frustrated because he would be telling me, why is it taking you so long to do that, bla bla, then I would ask him for help and he would just do it and I would ask him why and he couldnt really explain

Old 12-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5 years ago, on the Friday before Christmas (Christmas was the following Friday), I was informed that my position had been eliminated.

Yeah, Merry Christmas.

Like you, our debt was minimal. Only owed money on our home. On unemployment, I was still able to add to our savings, just to a much lesser degree.

I am much happier and making considerably more money now than where I was.

My hope is that you and your family experience the same!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
man that sucks, at least in my old job my coworkers were decent, just my supervisor was a pain.

Thanks that is good to know. I contacted a labor lawyer, hopefully they call me back, until then fingers crossed

that sounds pretty much like me, except I got no training, and was getting thrown under the bus directly by my supervisor, SHEESH

I would get so frustrated because he would be telling me, why is it taking you so long to do that, bla bla, then I would ask him for help and he would just do it and I would ask him why and he couldnt really explain
Been there, done that. IF I remember correctly, Texas is an "at will" state. In layman's terms, they can fire you LEGALLY for wearing the wrong color socks. I know it sucks, but the one question I do have is did you have a contract? If so, read it VERY closely. Have your lawyer friend take a look at it as well. IF your former employer has VIOLATED their terms of the contract, you have them. The fact you're being offered a severance package tells me this is NOT an "under performance" termination, but a "clash of personality" termination. Keep your head up, calm the wife (IF you can), review your resume and PRAY. God has a funny way of using situations like these to bless us in His time.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

I was there last January and it's not a good feeling... I was lucky and found a job with better pay and a more relaxed work environment. Everything happens for a reason. Best of luck to you. Be Well.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 PM

Check with your local employment office on the severance pay/unemployment benefits.
In New York a severance package does not effect your unemployment benefits.I've work in the airline industry for over 35 years and seen many ups and downs. Air traffic controller strike - 911 - mergers, all leading to lay-offs. Hang in there. Someone with your skills will find a place that appreciates your talent.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Document everything.

File for unemployment ASAP.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft