Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-28-2021, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Detroit car club sticker???

I found this picture it’s from a car bought out of Detroit about 15 years ago anyone know of this group?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00206ACD-EAA8-4057-8C7B-A9AEB0767E8F.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	572073  

Old 08-28-2021, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if Tom Vaught would know after working in the Detroit area?

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 08-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Personally, I think it is a "play on words" or the normal PMD sign.

There for a while some people were coming up with Garage signs with interesting modifications to the normal Pontiac Motor Division.

I belonged for several years to the Royal Pontiac Club of America.
Dr. Eric M. Schiffer was the president of the club and tied in heavily with
Jim Wangers. Eric owns Wangers' "Black Bird"

https://www.thevrl.com/profile/DrEricMSchiffer

I have little knowledge of the signs produced. He might know more.
Do not think it was a actual PMD sign though.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:53 PM
Senior Chief

This was a local Detroit Metro area Pontiac club. I was a member during the 1980's. We did some drag racing at Milan Drag Way, some car shows and had some car fun. We had these decals made up for the club. We used to have meetings at the Pontiac Headquarters in Pontiac in a large conference room. Some times we would have cars at Autorama.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks jerry455 I figured it was something like that. I was a member of the Royal club also and did the Milan monthly race till they ended. The club sticker was in the window of a 1979 Grand Am black 4 speed car.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:02 PM
Boost Engineer

Seems like the meetings were on the 2nd or 3rd floor of PMD in a conference room if I remember correctly.
Only attended a few times as a guest of two of the members.
They used to do a car show there. Did you guys put that on??

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it was officially pontiac would there be a small trade mark do dad on it

Old 08-28-2021, 06:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Pontiac was a brand of automobiles manufactured and sold by General Motors (GM); though production ended in 2010, Pontiac remains a registered and active trademark of GM.Mar 23, 2020

I have never personally "noticed" a "small trade mark do dad" on that logo

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac-logo.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	572077  

Old 08-29-2021, 02:24 PM
Senior Chief

It was never sanctioned by Pontiac. They seemed to like that a group of enthusiasts still was behind the product. It seemed that Dimitri Toth, who worked at Pontiac then, was are "in" to using the conference room. I think he had some SD early cars. He was a very nice and knowledgeable person about Pontiac history. I think the car show was put on by the POCI club there. I was there a few times. The Royal Pontiac Club was a lot more involved in racing at Milan. I was a member of that club from 1996 until it ended a couple of years ago. The club King of the Hill series bracket races each month were awesome. I was lucky as I had both of my kids also go and race their cars also.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:30 PM
Senior Chief

I think there was a member who had a black and gold 1979 G/A 301 4 speed car who lived in Madison Heights. I think his name was Dave. He also had a really nice silver 1970 Grand Prix with a very good running 455. I had a 1977 Can-Am then and he helped me get the 455, that I swapped in after breaking the stock T/A 6.6 , running well. The PMD club was always willing to help other members out with their car troubles and improvements.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:18 PM

Dave T. still lives in Madison Heights. Known him for years. He lived a street over from me. Grandam1979 did you buy his car? I believe it had a four speed in it. He sold the Grand Prix a few years ago.
Thanks,
Ern the Burn ========

Old 09-03-2021, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve never seen any around town myself.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erntheburn View Post
Dave T. still lives in Madison Heights. Known him for years. He lived a street over from me. Grandam1979 did you buy his car? I believe it had a four speed in it. He sold the Grand Prix a few years ago.
Thanks,
Ern the Burn ========
Yes I bought it from a body shop in Detroit someone had stolen the front seats out of it. It was a 301/4 speed car.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

I have only seen a couple of Grand Am's around over the years. Dave's car was a 301 4 speed car. It was a beautiful example of a black and gold G/A. I remember gong over to Dave's house a few times when he was helping me tune my Can Am. We used to go to Milan and race on Saturdays during the test and tune. I remember around 1985, we had a club day at Milan, where a bunch of other clubs would come out and we would do a king of the hill race. That was my first trophy I ever won. There was a bunch of other clubs from the Detroit area and some from northern Ohio that showed up. It was cool to see all of the other brands of muscle cars show up and race each other. It was a great time. I have not seen that PMD decal in quite a few years. It brings back some good memories.