Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-25-2021, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A few years ago I purchased a #1-60 set from Harbor Freight.

The box was poorly marked (numbers only) so I had to mic the bits to know what size they were. I found many of the smaller sizes to be ground from the same cores and not correct for sizing, plus being tapered makes them one use only for sizing as they get larger each time you sharpen them. They also screwed up and at least two pairs in the set were the same size. They actually did OK out past about .050", drilled well in harder materials, etc, but the smaller ones broke very easily and weren't really any good for drilling operations, or sizing because of how inaccurate they were.

I still have that set in the shop sitting behind my HUOT drill bits, it really serves no purpose at this point, pretty wasted $21.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-25-2021, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
The oil does not know its going through a metric hole.
You got that right. The reverse is also true.

GM released a service bulletin and a parts kit for the DOHC 3.4L engine in W-bodies--'91--'95-ish. Supposed to fix a knocking noise caused by oil pressure fluctuations on the lifters. Involves drilled core plugs, a pair of cam thrust plates, threaded plugs, and some gaskets.

By the time I needed it, the parts kits were discontinued. I decided to create my own. I didn't have metric drill bits; so I converted the metric measurements to Imperial, poked the holes, and made it all work.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That little 6$ metric drill kit did drill a few .030ish holes in some grade 8 1/4" allen set screws I was going to use in my lifter bores. It was pretty slow going so drilling 16 of them was not going to be fun. And I do not think the bits I have would have made it through all the hardened steel set screws anyway. The .023 bits look like needles, if you drop one you might not find it.
So I bought some pre drilled brass set screws from KRE. for 30$

Old 08-26-2021, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.

Dave
Make sure you degree the cam with the new chain & gear set.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can’t say that the added oil hole to better lube the Dizzy gear is invaluable until you’ve run solid roller valve springs with more then 550 psi of open pressure!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-26-2021, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have ran a BOP gear with .030 hole in the plug in front of it since 2008 with a solid roller. Gear is still fine.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:19 AM

Default Quality mini drill bit sets are not cheap. I think a former employee departed with my

first set in the late 80’s.
Here’s an option for those who can justify the expense.

https://www.esslinger.com/high-speed...th-wood-stand/