Old 02-07-2022, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the tip to speak with Miguel. Fortunately, they are going to refund me and sent a return label, even though I ordered it last April and probably don't have the original box/packing.

Apparently Summit sells the same 'ultra-thin' 4x10 RetroSound speaker a little cheaper than the manufacturer and free shipping. No bracket though, but RetroSound says it's just a plumbing strap. I'll see if I have a slotted bracket somewhere. Looks like you shimmed it a little. What did you use for mounting tape...some sort of insulating/weather seal tape?

Any other tips?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 02-07-2022, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great! Glad they did the right thing for you too.
I bought my speaker from Summit as well. This is the mounting tape I used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...5002/308910063
I've always bought the 3M version before but I think the Gorilla is just as good and a bit easier to separate the plastic from the backside of the tape.

Update:

Blasted and repainted the original '69 radiator fan I bought from GTO.PAUL and got it installed with a new Hayden HD clutch and new bolts. I did not get the correct fan with this car. It was a 5 blade and correct with A/C is a seven blade. It must have been changed out at some point in it's life. Paul happened to have the correct numbered part in perfect shape. It even was date coded correctly for my car.

Did a couple minor repairs on the lower dash duct assembly. It had a few holes underneath drilled underneath that I filled. Must have had something mounted to it at some point.
It also had a mount pad broken out where 1 of the 3 attaching screws goes. I cut and shaped a piece for it from 1/8" plastic sheeting that I had and grafted it to duct using JB Weld.

Got a bit more wiring done in the engine compartment. I mounted and wired the high speed blower relay. I mounted it behind the brake booster as I had done with both the Edelbrock EFI and fuel pump relays. Also wired in the original blower speed resistor along with mounting A/C accumulator and wiring in the compressor cycling switch.

Received the stereo amp I ordered and mounted it to the back of the glove box. I chose this Kenwood because it was the perfect size to be able to mount it there. It's a 4 channel amp with 45 watts per channel.

After mounting the glove box in the dash with the amp in place, I completed the wiring for both the radio and the amp and then installed the glove box lid, ash tray, lower dash column cover and the lower duct assembly and finished all that today.

I'm very impressed with the job Just Dashes did with the recovering job. Really impressed with the job they did on the glove box lid too. It fits super well. It was a bit warped when I sent it to them and they corrected that just as they said they would do.

Btw, if you look one either side of the e-brake release handle, you can see where I mounted the rocker switch and dimmer control for the Dakota gauges. It was the least conspicuous place I could find to mount them and still have them easily accessed. The dimmer knob was aluminum but I painted it black so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tanks Inc. EFI fuel tank kit

Here's all the small parts. I opted for a Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump and a floatless fuel gauge sending unit.

Fuel pump assembly put together and ready for installing in the tank:

Fuel pump and sending unit installed in tank and wiring in place:

All hoses attached. Pretty crowded looking on top but pretty much how you have to do it. Tanks Inc. instructions have you tie the 2 vents together with a Y adapter that they include. My plan is to connect the vent line to the original vent tube that loops up into the trunk and back down.

Installed Weather Pack connectors for the fuel gauge and fuel pump hot wire.

I like that Tanks Inc. makes this tank with a removable filler neck. It sure makes it a lot easier to install the tank. I bolted a board to my floor jack to aid in the installation.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 02-14-2022, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like something NASA would build, beautiful work.

If you ever get jammed up for room for the screw type hose clamps consider using "Cinch Clamps" they take up way less room, work great, but can be a pain to remove.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Looks like something NASA would build, beautiful work.
If you ever get jammed up for room for the screw type hose clamps consider using "Cinch Clamps" they take up way less room, work great, but can be a pain to remove.
Thanks!
Tanks Inc. sure does a nice job with the silver powder coat. I took extra care during the installation as not to scratch it.
Yeah I used those cinch style clamps up front where the hoses connect to the engine.

Hooked up all the hoses at the tank today. Here's a photo of the vent connection. The hose is 5/16" and the trunk loop tube is 1/4" so I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on the tip of loop tube to make the hose fit tightly. Tanks Inc. supplied me with a rollover valve but I can't find a good location to mount it so I think I'll go without it. I'm going to be pretty careful with the car and don't plan on rolling it. Not a good idea with a convertible without a roll bar anyway.

Posting a photo of the original vent loop inside the trunk as I know some of my follower friends probably haven't seen one before.

It took me a couple of months to get but I received the A/C condenser I had on order from Original Air and got it installed. It is a parallel flow design instead of the original serpentine type. It's a spendy piece at $360. $454 with tax and shipping.

They do a pretty good job making it fit exactly like the original but I did have to bend the tubes some to be able to get it into place.

I dug out the Magnaflow exhaust system I bought a few months back and started looking at it. It appears like I'm going to have to modify it some to get it to fit with the G Force transmission crossmember I have. Anyway, installing the exhaust looks like is what I'm planning to do next.

The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 11:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I looked at my factory assembly manual again and I saw that I had installed the trunk vent tube loop incorrectly.
This is the way the manual shows:

Old 02-15-2022, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do LOVE your attention to details Roger!

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To be clear, did Just Dashes actually recover the grained plastic on the outside of your glovebox door with real vinyl?

The Following User Says Thank You to gtohurstjudge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
To be clear, did Just Dashes actually recover the grained plastic on the outside of your glovebox door with real vinyl?
I just went back out to the shop and looked. Yes, that appears what they did.
Hidden pretty well but I can see evidence in the inside lower corners that it is wrapped around the edges. I can say it looks and fits fantastic and well worth the extra $200 they charge to do it.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dear Roger, I'm not sure what is going on here, but I see water spots on the undercarriage!!

Old 02-16-2022, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
Dear Roger, I'm not sure what is going on here, but I see water spots on the undercarriage!!
I think it was from when he wet sanded and buffed the gas tank …. 😀

Old 02-16-2022, 10:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
I think it was from when he wet sanded and buffed the gas tank …. 😀
HAHA....100%
Are you still New England based?

Old 02-16-2022, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
HAHA....100%
Are you still New England based?
Yes ..NH

Old 02-16-2022, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep, lots of water spots underneath. When I moved the car from the room where I painted it, I sprayed it all off underneath with a water hose to remove the dust that was on it. Once the car is complete I intend to spend a day under the car with rags and a bottle of Griot's spray cleaner.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Yep, lots of water spots underneath. When I moved the car from the room where I painted it, I sprayed it all off underneath with a water hose to remove the dust that was on it. Once the car is complete I intend to spend a day under the car with rags and a bottle of Griot's spray cleaner.
I use that stuff...as well as other Griot products....It works great ...and quick !

Old 02-16-2022, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mocked up exhaust system from the mufflers forward

As I had mentioned, I was going to have to make modifications to the Magnaflow exhaust kit due to the G Force crossmember. I ended up having to cut about 4 1/2" out of the pipes behind the X in order to move the X further back. This allowed the angled front extensions to clear the crossmember.

For temporary connectors, I slotted 4" sections of left over pipe, slipped them on to join the pipes and used some of the supplied band clamps to hold them in place. I did this for rejoining the cut pipes as well as connecting to the down pipes. The down pipes are from Pypes which are the same 409 stainless steel as the Magnaflow pipes are.

My intention is to weld all the joints except at the rear of mufflers. I am going to buy 4 connectors to replace the temporary ones I have on there now to avoid having to do any butt welds.

Here's a photo of the side of the car I took kneeling on the floor. As you can see, the system tucks up nicely and isn't seen.

Next I will start with the mock-up of the tail pipes.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like that system tucks up nicer than the one I have from Pypes. I like the kick ups to the mufflers.

You've also inspired me to seriously look at a 200R4 since my whole drive train is out and everything is on the table.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 02-16-2022, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Looks like that system tucks up nicer than the one I have from Pypes. I like the kick ups to the mufflers.

You've also inspired me to seriously look at a 200R4 since my whole drive train is out and everything is on the table.
I think we had a conversation about the exhaust before I made my choice. At that time I was intending to get the Pypes kit but I saw a '69 GTO for sale on BaT that had the Magnaflow system on it and was really impressed with how it fit and decided that was the route I wanted to go.

I really think the 200R4 is going to be a good choice and am anxious to try it out. Would you go with the CPT from Art Carr? If so, it might not hurt to call now and see what his lead time is with all the supply chain issues going on.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We did. I’ve never been super satisfied with the ground clearance on the Pypes kit, but it’s serviceable. I may try take it to a shop to get it tightened up when I put things back together.

I’d go with an Art Carr for the trans since he’s just down the coast from me and has a solid rep. I was waiting to see what I ended up with for cubic inches and a cam before I put in my order, but I suppose I could have him build me a trans and get the converter later. Seems like everyone has a long backlog these days.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 02-25-2022, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Updates

Rear Bumper:

Before proceeding to install the tailpipes, I decided I needed to have the rear bumper installed first so I could know if the exhaust tips would be where I wanted them to be.
So, I installed my new Ames bumper. I was immediately not happy with this bumper. Fitment problems in 2 areas.

Looks OK in that photo but take a look at this corner on the top left:

That corner is just misshaped and I can stick my finger in that gap up to my knuckle. The opposite corner is shaped OK though.

The other problem is at the top center. Here is a photo of how close it is to the tail panel:

It's almost touching. In this photo, the rubber blocks that fit on the pinch weld are not installed. I can loosen the bolts and install the blocks but it puts the bumper in a bind when the bolts are re-tightened. However it does increase the gap a little.

Next thing I did was dig out my original bumper off my junk pile and wash it up. I counted over a dozen dings and it has two slightly bent areas but it looked like it had never taken a severe blow. So I decided to mount it and see how well it would fit. Here's a few photos.

As you can see, the original bumper fits very, very well. (need to adjust the right taillight a little though).
I made a decision right then and there to research and find a shop that can restore this bumper and try to return the one I bought from Ames.
It had been over 60 days since I had received it so I wasn't sure what they would do.

I called Ames and dealt with Donovan who was very good. He had me send photos of their bumper as well as ones for my original bumper. After reviewing them, they will allow me to return it for a refund but I will have to eat the shipping. There is also a 10% restocking fee for being over the 60 days but I am going to request a waiver on that after they receive the bumper.

After doing some research on bumper restoration shops and getting a great reference from Ron Johnson at Potomac Classic Pontiac, I decided to go with a company in Tennessee called Tri City Plating. They charge $800 plus shipping both ways but I will be worth it to insure a perfect fit. Ten week turnaround.

Exhaust system:

I tack welded all the joints from under the car and then removed for welding up all the way around. I then used ceramic exhaust paint to paint the welds so they don't rust.

After reinstalling, I then started on the tailpipes. I decided to use the kit's band clamps instead of welding any of the joints.

The tailpipe hangers are a combination of what I think were factory frame top brackets and hanger kits I bought from O'Reillys. The frame top brackets were on the car when I got it and I blasted and painted them.

I tack welded the polished tips in 3 places on each one but where they can't be seen unless you look under the car.

Eye level to the bottom of the quarter:

So the exhaust is finished. However, I am thinking about removing and polishing the last sections of tailpipe from the tip joint back to the clamp. Since that pipe can be seen from the side of the car just a little, I think it might look better.