Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Edelbrock rebuild kits

I'm getting a pair of used Edelbrock 1407 carbs to put on a dual quad intake for my Catalina and was wondering what rebuild kits anyone recommends.
Are these any good? Trying to stay on a budget as things are adding up fast!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251053280012...84.m1423.l2649

Thanks,
Rob...

Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That kit on Ebay looks VERY similar to the kit available at Summit for $35. As you probably already know there just isn't a whole lot inside of an Ebrock clone. Therefore it's an easy rebuild. A thorough cleaning, fresh gaskets and accelerator pump and that's about it.
At that Ebay price, I'd go for it.
And you are right....things add up [too] fast !!

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Catalina is supposed to be a driver, not a project car, but there's so many things I want to do to it! It's getting me away from my Safari which is my project car.
I can't see spending more money on a simple rebuild kit....

Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM

I got mine from summit, but I also saw them on Amazon as well. Sometimes Ebay is cheap but they kill you with shipping charges.

On a related note, what kind of solvent or cleaning solution do you recommend for cleaning a carb before reassembly?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are available from NAPA, nice kits. You just have to find someone with enough ambition to look it up for you.

Those carburetors also use a really crappy accellerator pump, and most will have the wrong spring under it. Since the spring under the pump is the same tension as the one on the pump, well, you know what happens next.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Those carburetors also use a really crappy accellerator pump, and most will have the wrong spring under it. Since the spring under the pump is the same tension as the one on the pump, well, you know what happens next.....Cliff
Now now Cliff - why in the world would you want the springs to be of a different tension? If they were different in tension, the pump might actually move, and it would wear out sooner.

This way the pumps last longer!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.