THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question RockAuto vs Partsgeek, Any preferences?

Hey all, I was just looking at prices for shocks and I had a prompt come up in my search for a comparative part number at Partsgeek.com, which I never heard of.
NHO because I rarely order parts online anyway. Just looking for the benefit of my cousin who needs some rear shocks on her 2016 Ford Escape.

Anyway, the prices on Partsgeek are considerably less than RockAuto. Some come with free shipping. I realize that means Ground but the wait isn't that urgent for the moment. Also, big break in pricing when you buy pairs, which are NOT offered on RockAuto.

Anyone have feedback on the service; warranties, returns, part accuracy, quality, etc. ?
I think in the case of shocks, it should be cut & dried what will fit her vehicle, so that shouldn't be a problem. But I see that some shocks come with the upper mounting bracket and some do not. I'm assuming I'd have to re-use the OEM brackets in the case of the latter. I already test loosened the nuts that connect the bracket to the body. Would I need a 'Thru-Socket' to remove the top nut from the old piston?

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Give https://www.carparts.com/ a try.
Buy most of my stuff from rockauto though.

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a few broken and wrong parts from RockAuto recently. I think I'll give these others a try. Do they compete well on price?

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had to return a PS pump [Noisy] this week, for 18yrs. or so never returned anything from rock auto.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone ever heard of the brand name Detroit Axle? It was one of the economic priced pairs that came up on Partsgeek.

How about TRQ ? These can be had with or without the mounting brackets. It's a $20 difference for the pair.

Motorcraft replacements are all well over $100 for a single unit.
The Bilstiens and Monroes are about 50% cheaper on average.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.detroitaxle.com/about/
I know the PS pump (not the one that I sent back to rock) they sell on amazon is made in china,
don't know about the other items.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://rxmechanic.com/is-trq-a-good-brand/
Quote:
1. Product Quality
Your ideal aftermarket auto part partner should not compromise on quality, a statement that accurately describes TRQ Auto Parts. The spares are OEM-standard, built with top-grade materials, and will reliably serve you for a long time without breaking down.

You should get the correct TRQ product for the best quality. Avoid counterfeits by checking the spares’ packaging and logo. Shopping with reputable retailers is a sure way of keeping knock-offs at bay.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had exceptional luck with Rock Auto. I was surprised at first that the products were name brand. I have returned one item over the years and that really wasn't defective. I screwed up but they sent me a new one anyways.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Detroit Axle for suspension items on my daily drivers without any issues. Their kits are usually affordable and decent quality. (At least as good as the stuff the local retailers stock)
Rock Auto is my go-to for the majority of things I need. Filters, wiper blades, sensors, etc. The Power Stop brake parts are very good. Their prices on brake items isn't bad but shipping usually makes them more expensive than the local parts store.

Old Today, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience with shocks on SUV's and Vans and Light Trucks has been do not go with off brand or general purpose brands (Monroe, Gabriel, or any twin tube variety)
Cars aren't quite as demanding with lower center of gravity.

You mentioned Bilstein at 50% cheaper , I would look into those.
Or KYB Gas-Adjust
OEM Motorcraft or Rancho would be top candidates too

RockAuto gets about 90-95 % of my business.

Have used PartsGeek a time or two when price was all that mattered.
I think they use a lot of 3rd party sellers and lower grade products (price battles)

Old Today, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just looked at some google pics of a 2016 Escape
Not really an SUV , more of a crossover type.
My fault

Old Today, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rock Auto for me. Mostly because their website is intuitive and easy to navigate. Also, for me, they figure out the exchange and shipping to me here in Canada, so I know exactly what I'm paying I hate to say it, but they blow away any Canadian site that I've tried to order from.

Old Today, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

& the cool fridge magnets

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350