Old 05-22-2022, 08:41 PM

Default Trim Rings for 15" Rally II Wheels

I have a ’74 Formula with 15” HM code Rally II wheels, and I have the original trim rings for the car. They are brushed finish with a rounded contour. When these trim rings are installed on the wheels, there is a 1/2” gap between the ring and wheel spokes. I prefer the look of the squared-edge polished trim rings, and I hope I can find some that don’t leave a 1/2” gap. I have searched on this forum and found the following:

P/N 488380 – this is the part number of the trim rings that I currently have, brushed finish, rounded contour, for 15” wheels.

P/N 10010686 – this is the part number of the trim rings similar to the ones that I have. These have the rounded contour, but these also have a polished flat front edge, for 15” wheels.

P/N 9796696 – I THINK this the part number of the trim rings that I want, squared-edge, polished finish, for 15” wheels.

1) Can anyone tell me if p/n 9796696 is the correct part number for the squared-edge polished finish trim rings?

2) Can anyone confirm that this part number will fit on HM code Rally II wheels?

3) Will these trim rings fit with little/no gap between the trim ring edge and the wheel? Or will there be a 1/2” gap?

4) If this is the correct part number, can anyone comment on the quality of the currently available reproductions available at Ames, Parts Place, or other sources?

Old 05-22-2022, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For original GM trim rings of the squared off edge variety, ones that will fit, there are 3 different styles, most will need straightening & polishing. NOS & nice used are expensive.

The affordable & closest repro for the squared off edge 15x7 trim rings are avail from Ames, PartsPlace, or your favorite early Camaro vendor (the repro's are made for the '69 15x6 & '70 & later 15x7 Chevy ralley wheels). While the squared off edge style were not originally used on any '73-80 15x7 Pontiac rally II's, they will fit. I've seen several ask about the deeper original trim ring for a '68 up Corvette 15x8 code AZ wheel. Those will not fit 15x7 HM & HW coded Pontiac Rally II wheels.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:29 PM

Thank you very much for your response and information. Do you know if the reproduction trim rings will fit with little/no gap between the trim ring and the wheel spokes? Or will there be a 1/2” gap?

Old 05-23-2022, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Later this afternoon, can ck fit on an original HM or HW coded 15x7 with a dinged up early style trim ring. The problem you're up against, the original squared off edge style trim rings weren't designed for the wider style center section of the '73+ 15" rally II's. Though i dont have any repro trim rings here, believe that same inner gap will be seen with the repro trim rings.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:39 PM

Default Example Pictures

I found this car on an internet auction site, but unfortunately I cannot get any additional information. This is the look that I am after. To my eye, these trim rings fit with no gap at the wheel spokes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31202205-1974-pontiac-firebird-formula-std_edited-1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	591394   Click image for larger version

Name:	31202212-1974-pontiac-firebird-formula-std.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	591395  

Old 05-23-2022, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is exactly what I have been looking for myself.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My rings have a big gap as well so I don't even run them. I think it looks awful.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
That is exactly what I have been looking for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken View Post
My rings have a big gap as well so I don't even run them. I think it looks awful.
Well, I guess I am in good company then with looking for these trim rings. I would appreciate hearing from others as well. Based on the pictures that I posted, I think there is a good solution out there, I just don't know where to find them.

I may also cross-post this question in the '70-'73 forum to tap into some additional experts who may not check this forum regularly.

Any other suggestions??

Old 05-25-2022, 07:17 AM
Senior Chief

Maybe Wheel Vintiques https://www.wheelvintiques.com/acces...rim-rings.html

Old 05-25-2022, 03:37 PM

danpaul,

Thanks for the lead. I called Wheel Vintiques this afternoon. The trim ring that they recommended was their p/n 3001-A-1, but unfortunately the sales person said that there will be a gap at the wheel like the other trim rings that I am aware of. Also, it's difficult to tell on their web site picture, but the profile of the recommended ring looks round.

Back to the search...

Old 05-25-2022, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have my trim rings stored away as I just don't like the look of them.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got these '73 and up 15 X 7 rings in 2020. New they were about $225 a set shipped at that time. The top down view is with the ring centered but not installed on a '74 HM wheels but you can tell there should be no noticeable gap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0259547C-9220-433F-86EB-C0EF8E437A8B.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	591531   Click image for larger version

Name:	F8314B4C-2F42-4BB7-AF79-C896FF34DB99.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	591532   Click image for larger version

Name:	16C26EED-7890-4ED4-BDA2-0A84EB783DB1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	591533  

Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksGTO View Post
I got these '73 and up 15 X 7 rings in 2020. New they were about $225 a set shipped at that time. The top down view is with the ring centered but not installed on a '74 HM wheels but you can tell there should be no noticeable gap.
Thanks for posting. I believe that those are the stock trim rings for the '74. I have the same set, and if I don't find a better solution, those will go on my car. I'm hoping someone can guide me to a source for the more squared-off polished trim rings, and hopefully without a gap.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtmchl View Post
danpaul,

Thanks for the lead. I called Wheel Vintiques this afternoon. The trim ring that they recommended was their p/n 3001-A-1, but unfortunately the sales person said that there will be a gap at the wheel like the other trim rings that I am aware of. Also, it's difficult to tell on their web site picture, but the profile of the recommended ring looks round.

Back to the search...

Correct. They will leave the same 1/2" space as the '73-up trim rings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3001TrimRings.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	591560  

Old 06-02-2022, 10:14 PM

I guess for now I am giving up hope that I will be able to find OEM or repro trim rings that have little or no gap at the wheel spokes. So, I’d like to try a new approach.

If you have OEM trim rings, or if you have purchased reproduction trim rings, can you measure the depth dimension from the square lip of the wheel to the edge of the trim ring, and post your figures here? Reminder – this is for the squared-edge trim rings for 15” x 7” Pontiac Rally II Wheels. This will allow me and others to purchase the best-fitting trim rings for our Rally II Wheels.

Example: trim ring p/n XYX1234 from supplier Acme Trim Rings – depth dimension = 2.25”

Reproduction suppliers that I am aware of:

Ames Performance
p/n FT210H
their web site says their trim rings are 2.25” deep

The Parts Place
p/n WT10953Z
their web site says their trim rings are 2.5” deep

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...4-pieces/78166

Firebird Central
p/n WHE-15
no dimensions provided

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/15_x...4_p/whe-15.htm

Coker Tire
p/n 3001-15
their web site says their trim rings are 2.5” deep

https://www.cokertire.com/accessorie...trim-ring.html

Last edited by rbrtmchl; 06-02-2022 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:47 PM

I cross-posted this topic on the '70-'73 Firebird & TA Tech Forum. I got an interesting suggestion from 'android 211':

The trim rings that Olds used on their '75 - up Super Stock III heels have the sharp corner and polished not satin finish you like. Maybe check out 'ClassicOldsmobile.com' and look. Olds sold a lot of those wheels. They do fit the way you like.
As an alternative the satin finish Pontiac trim rings can be polished to a mirror finish by a plating shop. Looks pretty good.

Has anyone here tried Oldsmobile trim rings on their Rally II wheels? Any comments on fitment, etc.?

Old 06-12-2022, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For what you are trying to do, seriously doubt you will come up with a solution for a squared off edge polished trim ring that fills any type of gap. At least none that have been designed & marketed to be facsimiles of original GM trim rings. Understand what you are trying to accomplish.

If you have a chance to examine a '73-74 Olds SSII or '75-77 Olds 15x7 SSIII wheel, you will find the center area is 12" across, same dimension as late '68-72 Pontiac usage 15" rally II wheels. The "small" centers in all these wheels are 1" narrower across the face than the centers of the '73 & later 15" Pontiac Rally Ii wheels.

Chevrolet basically pulled from the same parts supplier as Pontiac, when they transitioned from their early usage (4clip attachment) 15x6 & 15x7 Z-28 trim ring to the 97xx696, they didnt really care about the gap. The relatively cheap Taiwaan reproductions sold by all repro parts suppliers are out there in droves, but again, for what you are trying to accomplish, will leave a discernable gap when fitted on the HM & HW 15x7 rally II's.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
For what you are trying to do, seriously doubt you will come up with a solution for a squared off edge polished trim ring that fills any type of gap. At least none that have been designed & marketed to be facsimiles of original GM trim rings. Understand what you are trying to accomplish.

If you have a chance to examine a '73-74 Olds SSII or '75-77 Olds 15x7 SSIII wheel, you will find the center area is 12" across, same dimension as late '68-72 Pontiac usage 15" rally II wheels. The "small" centers in all these wheels are 1" narrower across the face than the centers of the '73 & later 15" Pontiac Rally Ii wheels.

Chevrolet basically pulled from the same parts supplier as Pontiac, when they transitioned from their early usage (4clip attachment) 15x6 & 15x7 Z-28 trim ring to the 97xx696, they didnt really care about the gap. The relatively cheap Taiwaan reproductions sold by all repro parts suppliers are out there in droves, but again, for what you are trying to accomplish, will leave a discernable gap when fitted on the HM & HW 15x7 rally II's.
Thanks very much, that's a really informative post. I had a feeling based on the responses that I received so far that there was not a good 'ready solution' for what I was trying to do. The information that you provided is pretty conclusive that there is not a gapless square edge trim ring for these wheels. Thanks for your post.