Old 05-09-2022, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default remote mirror bezel location 79 TA

I found the remote mirror control and cables in the door and was thinking about either leaving it or I need to place it on the door panel in the correct location. I would also need the bezel and retainer and knowledge as to how it all goes together.
Any ideas - or would you just recommend leaving it in the door. Brand new repop door panels - just installed power windows.

Old 05-10-2022, 04:13 AM
Suspended

The bezels are reproduced now. They are a brighter chrome than the original satin chrome. Here's just a quick example, possible better prices out there.

The screws should be oval-heads, may be, but picture looks like regular countersunk flat heads. The spring retainer holds the control knob into the back of the bezel. There's also a retainer that holds the cable on the inside of the door, often rattling around inside if not in use. The backing plate goes on the rear of the door trim hole, bend tabs over board inside the trim. This then sandwiches the door trim when the bezel screws into the threaded holes and tightens up.

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1968...r_p/exm-21.htm

Last edited by Trevor78; 05-10-2022 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4abuygto View Post
I found the remote mirror control and cables in the door and was thinking about either leaving it or I need to place it on the door panel in the correct location. I would also need the bezel and retainer and knowledge as to how it all goes together.
Any ideas - or would you just recommend leaving it in the door. Brand new repop door panels - just installed power windows.
the new door panels should have the location marked on the back side, just needs to be cut out. i would keep the remote mirror if the car came with it.

i have a nice original used bezel, retaining ring & rear clip for cheap price if you want.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for your input guys,
78w72,
I am interested in the used bezel, clip and retainer - you can PM me what you are asking for it with shipping to 55014
Thank you

Old 05-10-2022, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I looked at the back of the driver side door panel and there is no marking for the remote mirror location- has markings for the door handle, arm rest - window crank.

Also I need the door panel plugs to cover the manual crank holes - what am i looking for here.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve seen stick on ones, but the factory ones are this. Red or gold.
There’s a flat fastener on the back
I just located a set of nOS red birds, pm me if your interested, I think the clip on the back is the same clip used on the rear speaker box
The GM ones didn’t come in a box, gotta watch the flip flop on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	590597  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 05-11-2022, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, the mirror bezels are wedge shaped, watch how you put them on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	590598  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 05-12-2022, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Never seen or noticed the stick on winder covers, that's dodgy. But people would buy them.

Yes, the mirror gasket is confusing little piece, unless you have originals and know which numbers are what. The repros are a lie based on the wrong part and then modified to suit both sides, and making them incorrect for all cars.

Originals rarely wear out, but may need edges sanded. #9832127 is for Firebirds, you flip it over for either door. #9832126 is for Camaro, the door top is a different angle. The repro uses the Camaro gasket and trims the locating lugs off so they fit on the Firebird doors that had different pin locations. Except they still have the GM number cast into them. The missing pin is a sign to ID them. If that's not enough to help pick which way they mount with the taper and pins missing, the repros aren't tapered at all! So wrong for all doors and models. But buy up quick, so they can do another run of incorrect parts. Problem is, they know, but most buyers don't, and wonder why they can't get mirrors to sit straight.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:17 PM

Something that has always bugged me — why is the remote mirror on the driver’s side and a manual mirror on the passenger side? It gives you the ability to adjust the mirror that you can reach out the window and adjust by hand, whereas the mirror you can’t reach gets no help. Is anybody aware of any sort of rationale for why the remote mirror was put on the driver’s side?

(the obvious reason is that it’s cheaper/easier to run it the short distance, but what’s even the point of remote control there?)

Old 05-25-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

probably cant have the pass side mirror remote controlled with the type of cable they used , way too long of a run with too many bends to try & do that on the pass side. the driver side is a short ~18" cable that is all mounted inside the door with no major bends for easy control.

why they had remote control is hard to say when you could adjust it with your hand... maybe for rainy days with the window rolled up?

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 06:05 AM
Suspended

The remote RH mirrors of the A-G Bodies had the remote toggle in dash centre. Possibly not catered for in an F body but not hard if they wanted to.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:16 AM

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, because the F Body power window controls are routed to the center. There shouldn’t be anything so different with the A-G Bodies that you could do it in one and not the other. Curious.

Old 05-30-2022, 12:03 PM
Suspended

This is the mirror cable bracket that clips onto the inner structure. Make sure the cable does not goes though any window tracks. When I first bought my car the window only went 2/3 down, they said it always did....fixed a few days later when found cable routed through window tracks.

Remote mirror cable bracket 1 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Remote mirror cable retainer in LH door2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Remote mirror cable retainer in LH door1 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post: