Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-20-2022, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rear Control Arm Install

Hi Guys,

I have the elelbrock lower control arms on my 69 gto and would like to install a rear sway bar.

Here is what the trailing arms look like:

https://www.ecklers.com/chevelle-con...-208008-1.html

Has anyone ever bought a rear sway bar that hooks directly up to the arm's?

I found this kit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...AaAksGEALw_wcB

The issue I see is this : it has connector links that go down towards the ground which i see would make it very close to the ground. to close for my liking.

Have a look at the pdf I made and you can see what I mean.

Thoughts? I was thinking maybe a stock 1970 gto rear sway bar might work? If I could find one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REAR SWAY BAR.pdf (117.5 KB, 189 views)

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 05-20-2022, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames stocks a aftermarket stock type in 7/8” and a HD one in 1”.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the installation video he appears to remove a stock style sway barthe bolts directly to the control arms to replace it with the adjustable one your link provided..

I installed BMR tubular control arms and used an aftermarket Addco sway bar in the OEM configuration but of larger diameter.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm really not a fan of the bolt on brackets to the axle tubes when the tubes are still pressed in place. I have used Addco for both A-body and B-body installs and like their product. Plus it's $100+ cheaper: Addco Rear Bar

Old 05-21-2022, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All you need is the stock-style rear bar. You may, or may not want the stock diameter (7/8, I think). The aftermarket has a variety of diameters.

Mine is from H-O Racing; 1 3/8 diameter rear, 1 3/8 front.

Shim the bar as needed; I think GM allowed for up to 3 shims--but I don't remember how thick they were. I did not need shims on my installations.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one from The Parts Place and did not need the shims when bolted to stock style control arms.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
All you need is the stock-style rear bar. You may, or may not want the stock diameter (7/8, I think). The aftermarket has a variety of diameters.

Mine is from H-O Racing; 1 3/8 diameter rear, 1 3/8 front.

Shim the bar as needed; I think GM allowed for up to 3 shims--but I don't remember how thick they were. I did not need shims on my installations.
I have run the exact same set-up for years, (as Schurkey has posted about),with the 10 & 12 bolt A-Body rears and now have the set-up
installed on my Ford 9" rear axle that uses the exact same
mount locations as the GM parts. Works like a champ.

That link crap to the rear axle lowered bar mounts might work on a F-Body but the GM parts are much better (if you are using the factory A-Body lower sway bar arms.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Agreed. Use a stock style bar installed in the factory manner. The GM engineers knew what they were doing. I have also used Addco bars with good results.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The kit that bolts to the axle tube looks OK if you are seriously trying to wring every last bit of handling. But nothing's going to negate the fact that you have a solid axle. I'd just grab a factory style bar in your preferred thickness. You will notice a difference.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:15 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

First, use the stock style bar. All of that linkage stuff is Disney. Match the rear bar closely to the front bar dia. A 1/16" either way is ok.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:31 PM
Boost Engineer

I put a 1-1/8" front bar on my car with the 1-1/4" HO Bar on the rear with factory 70 lower sway bar arms.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quite a few Addco swaybar users here ... good fit, good value and powder coated too.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks everyone for you input.

Ames sells it as a kit with new trailing arms not just the bar itself ( that I found )

That does remind me I do need a larger front end sway bar installed as well.

I like the ADDCO idea and have emailed them to verify fitment.

I'm not sure if there is anymore places to source a stock front sway bar or rear sway bar anymore.

Parts place looks real good. thanks again.

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane