Old 05-15-2022, 06:38 PM
Senior Chief

Lol… looking back at my instructions this definitely does seem complicated! It’s really not that bad though. The current panel was a nice one I grabbed off eBay that was basically free of any finish.. The previous Molotow/Clear attempt came of rather easily with alcohol. I then hit it with 400-600.

The flame part was just a quick pass in hopes it might do something. I did test pieces without it so who knows. I wasn’t really a fan of the 2 adhesion promoters I have here, they don’t flow out in the slightest. Travel speed with the flame was about a foot to a foot and a half a second. It doesn’t need much.

Applying the powder is basically the hardest part. I did some tests where I applied it too soon and then you mar the finish and it’s all over. You can honestly apply this stuff to a completely dry surface and get the same results. Once buffed it doesn’t really seem to come off. If it does you can touch it up. I just figured if I could get it down after the tack was gone in the clear and I could possibly catch a little “free” adhesion.

Haha- your questions are hitting all the key points I should have addressed Shiny! Getting the powder on any surface you don’t plan to keep it on is trouble. If I did it right I would have applied the powder while still masked. It doesn’t like to let go. We’ll not completely at least. I was just worried about my edge lifting if I pulled the masking too late. In hindsight I should have sprayed it, waited for the right surface, applied the powder then pulled the tape. I honestly should have done the outer chrome area then the inner rings later. Too much intricate stuff to remove tape from at once.

I’ll post a link to the powder when I dig it up again. I bought the stuff months ago. It’s only like $10 I think.

My quote for having it just vacuum chromed from that dash place that restores dashes was like $600 and up depending on the condition of my piece. I often dig myself into these holes first out of cheapness and my unwillingness to pay that much (don’t get me wrong, if I had a true “show car” I’d pay to do it right). Part of it is also just curiosity and then the failed attempts bring out my stubbornness and things escalate, haha. I’ll painstakingly screw with stupid ideas till something finally works. I’ll play with clear protective coats on my next pieces (lower valence chrome trim), the instrument panel is just going to get installed and I’ll give it a real-world “test” and hope for the best.

It’s probably the same stuff you remember from years ago Data… I think it’s been around for quite a while. Thanks for the compliments guys.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for taking time to respond.

It all makes sense!

And I think many share your motivation to try new stuff and save money even if it takes 3 tries or just walk away..

Great when someone else like you does the trial and error! Even better when they share what worked!

Old 05-16-2022, 05:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to TRY ... to touch up some areas on my installed dash when the powder gets here. The thin chrome strips ... clean them real well, attempt to remove any existing finish, tape them, use an airbrush to apply some new paint ... then apply the powder and buff ... then remove the tape.

Certainly not looking for perfection ... but I have a few areas where I've trashed the chrome paint during installation of the dash.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Three Gold Stars to Entropy11.

This stuff is pretty amazing, very pleased with the result. Since my typical test method for a product is .. hurry, don't follow instructions, don't clean anything and see how it works

Finished working on my tractor and decided to try it, dirty hands and all, pulled this part off the dash, hit it with fine steel wool, cleaned it with alcohol, taped it off, painted with a fast drying gloss black rattle can lacquer, let it dry in the sun for 10 minutes and went to town.

You can just see next to the wood grain the previous "chrome" paint that the tape prevented the magic powder from contacting. Buffed it with a microfiber cloth and done.

Freakin weird stuff. Doesn't rub off after it's buffed, has a perfectly slick, glossy feel. Will test some test pieces to see how tolerant it is off things like Armor All, Pledge and finally alcohol. I have no doubt I can tape off the long thin chrome sections above and below the wood grain and apply this stuff. Too bad the dash is already installed.

Entropy can this stuff be top coated with clear?

About the best $10 I ever spent. Can be found here: https://robotkai.com/products/prime-...e&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-Powder.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	591088  

Old 05-19-2022, 05:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a follow up. My test piece ... an aerosol paint can top painted with black lacquer .. using most any cleaner, and rubbing lightly, it can be removed with some time. Not going to happen by accident, but not "permanent" either.

Now this test was with lacquer ... which dries so fast it's hard to gauge when to apply the powder. I'm thinking enamel which dries much slower, and is a softer paint, would hold on to the powder much better. For something like Rustoleum gloss black ... maybe six hours of dry time, to the point it won't smudge but is still ... well.. soft, would be a good time to brush the powder on.

Will have to test this, and maybe see what happens with a rattle can clear coat.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:13 PM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

dataway- how did the clearcoat work out?

Old 10-09-2022, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, I actually never tested the clear coat over it.

Hopefully someone has and can chime in.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:40 PM
Senior Chief

This post escaped me for a while. Glad you had decent results John. That piece looks great in the pic.

I still haven’t tried any clear over it either. I’ve had my dash installed for months now in various degrees of heat and an odd night here or there with near freezing temps. It still looks the same as the day I put it on. I’ve had a few car friends over and it fooled each one of them. They swore I sent it out and couldn’t believe when I told them. I’ll still try to update with some pics.

I may try this stuff with some sort of clear on it over the winter. My lower valence trim pieces are trashed with overspray and some pitting. I think I might clean them up, fill the pits, and give them a coat of this. It might be too shiny compared to how they should be but it’ll beat how they look now.