Old 10-03-2021, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any Holley Spreadbore experts here?

I found this carb on E-bay and suspect its someone's Frankenstein. https://www.ebay.com/itm/23413443158...UAAOSwH41hFKqw
Ive never seen a 650 spreadbore with race bowls on it. The list # is 6210 but that number doesn't exactly come up in my Holley reference book. The book shows 6210-1, 6210-2, and 6210-3 but no 6210 by itself. And those do not have race bowls. Any thoughts? If its real I want to buy it immediately. Thanks

Old 10-03-2021, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dash 1 etc are later releases of the original 6210.

I have used the 6210 a lot. It is a great carb. (for 650 size). I have also used the 800 spread bore Holley.

The jets and power valves make it nice to modify. (no secondary jet plate like 3310)
The spreadbore does use a tube to connect the jet block to main body is the only 'problem' I have with it. Which isn't a real problem.

I think it will be a good buy.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

A friend of mine converted his bowls on his. Nothing crazy difficult.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Ultimate Warrior

That’s a common conversion to get rid of the small fuel volume and that dinky cross over tube that many of even the non spreadbore carbs have.

In fact to me with the big size of those secondary’s even in the 650 spreadbore it should have come from the factory with higher performance fuel bowls!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The dash 1 etc are later releases of the original 6210.

I have used the 6210 a lot. It is a great carb. (for 650 size). I have also used the 800 spread bore Holley.

The jets and power valves make it nice to modify. (no secondary jet plate like 3310)
The spreadbore does use a tube to connect the jet block to main body is the only 'problem' I have with it. Which isn't a real problem.

I think it will be a good buy.

This one has race bowls. No transfer tube. Does not seem correct for a 650. The 800,s have race bowls but never seen a 650 with them.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely no expert and have never had a 650 but I have had 3 800 spreadbores and you could get one new with dual feed and double pump or single feed double pump. I don’t know for sure but I would guess you could get the 650 the same way.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
That’s a common conversion to get rid of the small fuel volume and that dinky cross over tube that many of even the non spreadbore carbs have.

In fact to me with the big size of those secondary’s even in the 650 spreadbore it should have come from the factory with higher performance fuel bowls!
That would explain this one. I went out to my carb pile and found a 650 spreadbore with the wimpy fuel bowls and it looks like fuel bowls from a 4150 will fit. Unfortunately the metering blocks are different so I would have to live with the reverse idle mixture.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that a 50cc pump on the primary side? Holy crap, she gonna run real rich. Does look like a good carb. for the money. Had a Holley spread bore on my 70 GTO years ago, ran real good.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The more I think about it I’m guessing you could not get the 650 in a dual feed. Looking at the pictures of that carb something about it I don’t like almost looks like it has been painted.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To my knowledge all the 6210's used the side-hung float bowls. They are interchangeable with the center-hung "Lemans-style" bowls which re originally designed for the Ford GT-40, hence the Lemans designation.

I have a 6213 800 cfm Holley Spreadbore I bought to try out and never got around to it. When I did go to install, the center to center distance on the fuel inlets was longer than the normal 9-5/16" on the 4150 series double pumpers. I was going to modify the 4150 line ( trim the secondary feed line and install a 3/8" compression fitting) just to try it out but returned the line instead and lost interest.

You may find the same thing with yours and have to put together a T and rubber lines to make it work or use one of those flexible braided line abortions.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correction ... my bad. They are pent-roof bowls, not Lemans bowls which had forward and backward facing inlets. Whole different animal.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:29 PM
Boost Engineer

1) #6213 800 CFM Carbs use "Center Hung Float Bowls that can be swapped on a 650 cfm #6210 carb and metering blocks.

2) The accelerator pump discharge hole from the #6213 "Center Hung Float Bowls" is in a different location vs the normal 650 to 850 square bore carbs bowls.

3) The metering blocks are also different between square bore carbs and spread bore carbs BUT the metering blocks interchange between the 650 and 800 spread bore carbs once you change the Jetting and Power Valves.

4) The Dual Bowl Fuel Line is also unique to spreadbore carbs.

5) All of the spread bore carbs use the "Johnson" (a Holley VP's) primary/secondary double pumper linkage design.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#6213 Top View.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	574311   Click image for larger version

Name:	#6213 Fuel Bowls.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	574312   Click image for larger version

Name:	#6213 Air Horn.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	574313  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I wanted it, for $125 I could'nt go wrong. Grab it and figure it out later. You can always re-sell it if you don't like it.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 10-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
1) #6213 800 CFM Carbs use "Center Hung Float Bowls that can be swapped on a 650 cfm #6210 carb and metering blocks.

2) The accelerator pump discharge hole from the #6213 "Center Hung Float Bowls" is in a different location vs the normal 650 to 850 square bore carbs bowls.

3) The metering blocks are also different between square bore carbs and spread bore carbs BUT the metering blocks interchange between the 650 and 800 spread bore carbs once you change the Jetting and Power Valves.

5) All of the spread bore carbs use the "Johnson" (a Holley VP's) primary/secondary double pumper linkage design.

Tom V.
You are right. The 4150 bowl will not fit the spreadbore carbs. The hole is just a little off. You wouldn't happen to know what part # those spreadbore bowls are. My book says N/S. Which stands for not serviceable. Must be a typo.

Last edited by Bruce Meyer; 10-03-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, the spreadbores are a different casting and 4150 parts won't interchange. The center casting is also stretched to accomodate the secondaries.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Is that a 50cc pump on the primary side? Holy crap, she gonna run real rich. Does look like a good carb. for the money. Had a Holley spread bore on my 70 GTO years ago, ran real good.
I and Cliff Ruggles would disagree with you on his 850 cfm Holley Carb with the 50cc pump on the carb ON THE FRONT.

In some applications if you add the 50cc pump and open up the air bleeds on the primary side of the carb about .004" the set-up is happy with the 50cc pump on the front. I helped Cliff with his carb.

The KRE guys dynoed that Holley carb and they told Cliff:
"Don't touch that carb it is perfect on the dyno."

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Tom V.
Tom, that old carb looks terrible! I think you should just send it to me. Seriously, that's obviously a nice virgin carb. Nice to see one in mint condition. These carb will flat make some power. An 800 spreadbore double pumper and a 455 4-speed works fantastic. Had a 650 on a 389 when I first started driving. It worked great also.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:16 AM
Boost Engineer

I have, in the boxes about 40 NOS carbs, that I bought over the years and put away.
A few spreadbores, a few Dominators, somewhere I have about TEN 3-Barrel carbs, some 440 Six Pack Carbs, and several of the "Quarter Mile Dial, electronic carb enrichment" carbs. But they are in storage, I will have to see if they are still there after several years of not going to a relative's place and looking at them.

So there are still virgin Holley carbs out there that people are hanging on to.

Tom V.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there any advantage to the older Holleys? You can still buy a brand new 650 SB right? I had one on my 68 GTO for years, thought it was easy to tune, got about 17 mph on the highway. Did have a few quirks but no problem when you got to know them.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Is there any advantage to the older Holleys? You can still buy a brand new 650 SB right? I had one on my 68 GTO for years, thought it was easy to tune, got about 17 mph on the highway. Did have a few quirks but no problem when you got to know them.
You can probably still get a 650 with side hung bowls. The carb that Tom showed has not been available for a long time. Still lots to be had if you don't mind going through one.