Old 06-17-2022, 11:38 PM

Hey dataway:
Who made those a arms?
Thanks,
Mario64

Old 06-18-2022, 05:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mario ... if you mean the aftermarket ones ... I got them from Ames (who courteously took them back) so not sure what company made them. Probably the same people making them for everyone else.

The stock parts really are quite a bit beefier in the ball joint area, not a whole lot of difference in the bushing area. A lot of people are using the repops but just seems too important a part to leave to chinesium steel.

And, there are millions and millions of original control arms out there for the 68-72 A bodies.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:54 AM

Thank you very much.
Ciao,
Mario64

Old 06-22-2022, 05:31 PM

We raced Dirt Modifieds for several years. We would search junk yards for Stock 68-72 lower control arms all the time. Aftermarket ones were cheap and available. The ball joints didn't fit as well, the car was more difficult to align, and one small racing incident would damage them. The stock arms are much better and much stronger Period! For me it's Stock Arms with good ball joints and Delrin bushings, or good quality tubular arms.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:42 PM

Roger:
Thank you for that info. I am leaning towards getting a used set and rebuild them to reduce down time. What are the years and models that are a fit to my 64 grand prix? I will start looking for a rebuildable set of uppers & lowers. Anybody have suggestions?
Ciao,
Mario64

Old 06-23-2022, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://frankspontiacparts.com/id18.htm

Old 06-26-2022, 07:48 PM

Default Control arms

Thanks for the comments. Decisions Decisions. I only found one shop to replace the bushings and ball joints in the control arms for $100 each. So $400 and I will have to clean and paint them as well. Two shops I call charge $1100 for labor only to rebuild the front end, the moog parts are $500 more. I'm not in a hurry but I think the parts are still original on my 72 GTO. This fall will be a good time to get it done with cooler weather since I do not drive the car much.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just took some '67 Cutlass control arms to Goodyear to have the ball joints and control arm bushings removed. They charged me $200. They did a good job, the ends were not crushed. Then I took the arms to the powdercoater and they charged me $320. Powdercoating used to be cheaper then sandblasting and having them painted. Now I have to have new bushings and ball joints installed. I went to NAPA for the bushings and they were really cheap, like $13 a side but I had to make two trips. The first time the parts arrived the box had been robbed of the bigger bushing so they sent them back and got a good pair.