THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Pate Swap Meet is 7000-8000 spaces, not 3000, and is one of the largest meets in the country. Last year they reported over 8000 spaces sold. This year may have been down slightly due to the threat of bad weather (that never really materialized after Wednesday). By comparison, the Decatur, TX meet in February is about 3000 spaces. So while I read about "death spirals" of swap meets in other locations, the meets in N. Texas are alive and well.

I've attended every Pate Swap Meet since 1991. Those waxing nostalgic about the old Cresson location might be forgetting the soggy years when that cow pasture became a mud swamp. Also the ruts and big rocks in the paths that were great for twisting ankles. As for "layout", the current location at the speedway is fine. It's a ginormous paved parking lot with lined spaces, for chrissakes. Parking situation for spectators is much better as well.

I fully agree with the poor "parts density" at the current location. Way too many spaces either empty or used just for parking. I am always perplexed at the amount of empty "sold" spaces as thee spots are $55-70 each, depending on when you register. I find that the "overflow" lots are often the best places to hunt, as these are often people that decide at the last minute to go and dump off some parts. Every year a friend and I buy three spots to serve as a meeting place and to let friends from our GTO club bring out their extra parts to sell.

Given the sheer physical size of the meet, it is impossible to cover it all on foot in one day. Thus, the thriving scooter business. My friend, who is still recovering from a serious battle with prostate cancer, reserves a scooter on Thursday and Friday. We take turns on the scooter, and this cuts down significantly on the amount of time it takes to cover the meet. I do a lot of buying at the meet and still cover it all on foot during the course of the entire event. However, the scooter is great for zipping from one end of the event to the other when needed and saves a lot of time round trip. As the aisles are wide and mostly paved, I've never encountered many problems with "dodging" scooters. There may be a few congested areas occasionally, but not enough to be an issue. And fwiw, my friend looks healthy, but is unable to walk more than two or three aisles without getting winded. Radiation and chemo will do that to you.

The car corral seems to diminsh in quality with each successive year. Seems many now prefer to take their classics to auction, the internet, or one of the specialty dealers.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 05-05-2023, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default “Junk in the Trunk”

Going to try a very local swap meet tomorrow. Only car or motorcycle parts allowed. Can only sell out of your trunk or pickup truck. No trailers. Very small but I like the rules. I’m really only going to try to sell some stuff as I doubt I’ll find anything I’d want. Only $5. to get in so if I sell one thing I’m good. Trying to get rid of some non Pontiac stuff I’ve accumulated and trying to supplement my Safari budget! Well, actually, there is no “budget” but you get it…..SS only goes so far!

Old 05-06-2023, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hitting the Mopar swap tomorrow at the Packard Prov grounds, just for something to do, taking the GF, this should be fun. Both of us have tetanus shots up to date, you gotta be careful with all the rusty stuff there.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes pause pause

F ire B irds

🇮🇱