Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default fabbing bracket for clutch ball stud?

First - thanks to everyone for your comments in my other thread about chaining my engine to prevent breaking my clutch ball stud in the future.

As it turns out, I am having one HECK of a time trying to drill on what is left of the stud in the block. Tried titanium coated as well as cobalt bits and ... no dice. Anyway, I noticed there appears to be a convenient set of three threaded holes in my bellhousing (mcleod) that might serve nicely as a place to mount a fabbed bracket instead. That way, if this happens again at least it will be a heck of a lot easier to fix.

I've attached a pic of what I am talking about. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClutchBall.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	380703  

Old 11-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try welding a nut to what is left in the block. Weld inside the nut and use a wrench to turn it out.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 11-02-2014, 06:01 PM

You should be able to buy a bracket since most aftermarket bellhousings have provisions for bolting on a pivot ball bracket. Maybe a call to Summit Racing might be in order.

Either way you should have no problems using the bellhousing to mount the pivot ball, so long as it sits close enough to the block.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Boost Engineer

If you decide to go with the McLeod deal you will have to pay attention to the ball height of the stock part vs the part you weld on a bracket that goes to the 3 bolts on the McLeod welded on bracket.

Otherwise the stock Z-bar will not be in the right position and the geometry of the bar will be screwed up. Much better to try to just get the "remains" out of the hole.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will give Summit a try but I couldn't find anything with a web search. I do not have a welder but I am thinking to do this hobby right I am going to have to be able to do some basic welding and fabrication, so I am looking at some basic arc welders now. I don't think I need a MIG since I don't have any intention of doing body work.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom I agree re: correctly locating the ball stud, but I think I can do that with a threaded setup that allows me to adjust the ball depth. But it seems like anything I can up with as an alternative would better than having another stud break off in the block.

Of course, could be I won't break another one after I chain the engine down ...

Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use my Hobart mig to weld 1/4 steel. See if you can have some one weld a nut like 67spud said.
Are you close to me?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe get a small cold chisel in there and try to turn the remains of the stud CCW. Sometimes a few taps is all it needs to come loose.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a small diameter abrasive disc like for a Dremel tool, cut a slot in the remaining surface for a screwdriver. It'll only work if the threads are not bound up tho....

George

Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM

You really should be able to drill out the offending broken stud using a series of sharp drill bits. Start with a 1/8" bit and work your way up to a 5/16" bit which is the same as the minor diameter of the 3/8-16 threaded stud. Carefully center punch it directly on center before starting, use a nice sharp punch and hit it hard to make sure the drill starts on center.

If the engine is still in the car you're really not going to be able have the access needed to drill it out.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah the engine is still in the car, that's why I want to make a bracket instead. I don't want to have to pull the engine every time I break one of these. Even if I could get it with the engine in the car, I have to remove the header to get to it. I figure with a bracket, I should be able to just drop the starter, pull the bracket, and fix it on the bench.

Is trying to work up a bracket really that bad of an idea? Seems like a lot of you favor me trying to get this thing out instead of making a bracket.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Nothing wrong with making a bracket.

The only issue is the distance from the end of the ball compared to your Z-bar.

If there's no way you can make a bracket that puts the ball at the correct position using a bracket then you'll have no choice but to fix the broken stud.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Nothing wrong with making a bracket.

The only issue is the distance from the end of the ball compared to your Z-bar.

If there's no way you can make a bracket that puts the ball at the correct position using a bracket then you'll have no choice but to fix the broken stud.
I was thinking I would have the stud turned down and threaded so that I could adjust the depth.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Z-bar tube can be shortened on the block end side to work with the stud being farther away from the engine block .

Last edited by chrisp; 11-04-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What about a right angle drill?

Old 11-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugslyx234 View Post
What about a right angle drill?
Tried two different right angle drill attachments, titanium and cobalt bits. Both with 30 weight oil and going slow, still no dice. The only thing that cuts it so far is the small carbide burr attachment for my dremel, and that is really slow going.

I think I will try the bracket. I may fail, but I have got to get better at this stuff and being able to fabricate a small bracket or brace here and there seems like it should be something every car guy can do.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Didnt know that stud was so hard. You can't get someone with a mig to come over? A lug nut welded onto it would get it right out. I see these portable guys all over with mobile equiptment repair. I sure would do that before all the trouble of a one off fabbed bracket. Plus any mods to the car frame or Z bar to make it all fit and operate correctly.But thats just me ; )

Old 11-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah if I thought it wouldn't break again I would figure out a way to get it out. But I think there is a pretty good chance it will break again.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i'd say, pull the motor
get at it nice and easy
may want to heat the outside of the area where that stud is too, but before that soak it with PB blaster
its a VERY course thread and you may be able to get it out with some finangling
buy a new OEM stock one in, and use a solid motor on the drivers side
shouldn't have any more flexing issues that would cause this to break
then you can replace it every once in a while to prevent this from happening again
that is what i did when i broke mine, in my TA there was NO room to drill out in the car

Old 11-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you thought about a hydraulic clutch option? I put one in my car this summer and love it. No more linkage and if your worried about it happening again, well.....
And my vote is for a mig welder over the stick for sure.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.