Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

Default Routing starter wires on Pontiac engine with headers?

I am wondering how to route the positive battery wire and purple wire to my starter on my 1979 Trans Am with Pontiac 455 and headers.

I am trying to keep them from getting burnt.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

use the factory routing. there should be a sleeve that bolts to the lower front of the head to run the positive & ign wire through, then a small loop clamp on one of the oil pan bolts, i found using those 2 factory items will keep it away from the headers & allow you to use the factory length wires. then if needed you can add a rubber lined clamp or 2 to the oil pan bolts &/or use some zip ties to finish it up. as a last resort if they are too close for comfort to a header tube you can use some heat wrap like the velcro tube type or adhesive backed tape wrap.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
use the factory routing. there should be a sleeve that bolts to the lower front of the head to run the positive & ign wire through, then a small loop clamp on one of the oil pan bolts, i found using those 2 factory items will keep it away from the headers & allow you to use the factory length wires. then if needed you can add a rubber lined clamp or 2 to the oil pan bolts &/or use some zip ties to finish it up. as a last resort if they are too close for comfort to a header tube you can use some heat wrap like the velcro tube type or adhesive backed tape wrap.
I purchased one of those sleeves from PY. They said it was good for running with headers but I cant find a place to bolt it on my Pontiac 455. The tab on the sleeve is at the wrong angle....the sleeve they sell must be for earlier engines.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to have a real good picture showing how its ran, but I cant find it so here are some ok ones. The tube mounts behind the PS pump, and the wires tuck against the block going towards the starter. I tuck mine behind the engine mount.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there are a few variations of the sleeves that ive seen so hard to say what you have or what you need for your particular engine. the sleeve bolts to the front of the head, usually on a lower bolt hole but the tab may be an issue. if no other option just grind the tab off & tighten it down where it needs to be located for your application or use the universal rubber lined clamps in the positions that work for your car.

but the basic factory routing is the best option IMO.