Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Chief

Default Tri Power Rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding a 65 tri power and not sure of some of the finishes:

carb bases; what is a good gasoline resistant black spray paint?

actuator levers; plain with clear coat or coated?

high idle cam linkage, plain?

throttle pump accelerator linkage, plain?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to www.pontiactripower.com . Mike Wasson has some really good pictures of finished tri-powers on his website. In general, all linkages with the exception of the front-rear push rod, and the slider bar was gold irridate plated. The front-rear push rod, and the slider bar were silver zinc plated. I have seen the accelerator pump push rods both gold and silver. I am sure Mike can clear that up if so desired.

There is no such thing as fuel resistant paint. I have used Goodson or Seymore cast blast gray for the bases with pretty good luck. The bases were gray and not black. Most fuels will cause these to run or fade so don't over think it too much. As for the carb bodies, nothing beats a plated finish. I know Mike uses the Eastwood coating with pretty good luck. I have never had good luck with their carb products. Jon Havens does all Mikes plating and is pretty reasonable. Let me know if you need Jon's e-mail address.

If you have the carbs professionally done, Mike is the best. Any custom machining is handled by Jon Havens. Jon is a retired air craft machinist and is very good.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you for all the good valuable information.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For whatever value they may have here are a couple of pictures out of a 1965 Pontiac sales brochure. Note the power brake pipe is not as "flat" as the repros being sold. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965GTOMT.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	156569   Click image for larger version

Name:	19652+2MT.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	156570  

Old 02-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Chief