THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Poster stating how rare your car is, in fact if it was rare it wouldn't be at the show
ok, this makes zero sense from here.

So if it's rare, it doesn't exist?
Or are rare cars fodder for people who never let the car see the light of day.

To date, I believe that the rarest car I saw was a 1/59 1970 Trans Am; Ram Air IV - 4 speed.
IIRC total production of 1970 RAIV Trans Am's was 88 (59 m/t & 29 a/t)
... but maybe my numbers are off??

Last edited by unruhjonny; 12-04-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

... I think that at the end of the day, some of the stuff that is commonly pointed out in this thread all comes back to the owner not having a concern for detail for a stock type car, or doing something lacking in taste when it comes to a custom or hotrod/streetrod ect.

I don't get bothered by having models done up like the car (sometimes that in itself takes some serious talent!), or anything else which might be a part of the overall "display" of the car;
I too prefer seeing that a car is actually driven/used, but get put off by the car being dirty (eg: interior full of garbage);
I rather enjoy nice display stands, and reading a history on that exact car, or on that type of car in general, and above all I love seeing diversity, pride in ownership, and enthusiasm.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to have a 58 Chevrolet business sedan which is a two door sedan with no back seat just a shelf and the back glass does not go down. They were very popular with racers because it was by far the lightest body style you could buy. I had an original 1960 NHRA nationals participant sticker that my grandad had forever in his office desk. I put the sticker in the drivers side quarter window because I thought it was cool and just made the car that much cooler. It didn’t even list a position it just said participant. I had a guy at a car show ask me if it was a real race car in the past or was it just used as a business coupe. I told him I had no idea I just had the sticker and thought it was cool because the car was a 348 three speed so it very well could have been a racer. He started acting like an idiot in front of a crowd at the car show and telling me I was a faker and I was trying to scam people etc. the car wasn’t even for sale at the time. I was a deputy sheriff and after listening to him cuss for a solid five minutes I showed him my badge and told him if he didn’t move on I was gonna lock him up for breach of peace. All this over a sticker

Old 12-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post

To date, I believe that the rarest car I saw was a 1/59 1970 Trans Am; Ram Air IV - 4 speed.
IcandoRARE better;, my Leather Interior 69 Bird was 1 of 13 F-bodies across 67-69 (Camaro & Firebirds) having Leather.

witha 4-Speed, witha Walnut shift knob.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

This is one of these threads that makes me scroll up to the top to make sure there's an arrowhead up there instead of a Corvette logo or a Mopar logo because it definitely seems like I'm on one of those forums.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 12-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

It's like when you see a cobra, it's not real or it wouldn't be at the Dairy Queen car show, lol.
I see rare car posters displayed on cars all the time, lmao.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
This is one of these threads that makes me scroll up to the top to make sure there's an arrowhead up there instead of a Corvette logo or a Mopar logo because it definitely seems like I'm on one of those forums.
If the owner has no pride, don't pop the hood. I don't care to look at a jeggs catalog in person.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like clean and tasteful with anything like an msd box or anything like that hidden if you are gonna use it. Last year at the car show in Myrtle Beach I saw a big block 66 impala that was absolutely immaculate and correct except for one thing. It had a a Weiand true 1960s aluminum intake on it. Now that didn’t bother me in fact I thought the vintage speed part was cool but what puzzled me was sitting on top of this bbc with this factory air cleaner and all factory brackets and belts etc was a bright orange thermostat housing on an aluminum intake. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen

Old 12-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
It's like when you see a cobra, it's not real or it wouldn't be at the Dairy Queen car show, lol.
*Mostly*
There is a 68 GTO, 4:33, 4speed, Ram Air 2, Ragtop that shows up at our local A&W. It is the real deal. No poster though, and it is green

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbucket View Post
How about a model car sitting on the air cleaner of the real car!
Let me guess...it interferes with the ability to read your Buick stickers?

Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
The spare tire.
Wrong thread...that's for the VW haters thread...lol

Old 12-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
there both a legitimate Ford Cobra, and a GT40 that shows up at the odd local show - real, original Shelby vehicles.

One local I'm freinds with has a 1/1 car (prototype), and everything else in his collection is one of few.... he drives them too...

Why the cynicism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I can do RARE better;, my Leather Interior 69 Bird was 1 of 13 F-bodies across 67-69 (Camaro & Firebirds) having Leather.
I get what you're saying, but generally speaking significant differences such as drivetrain, body style, ect are what most people use when chalking up scarcity.
I am confident with the likes of '69 Trans Am convertibles, '70 Trans Am RAIV, 1968 RAII (anything) , you can play the 'Dodge game' and make a car 1 of 1 by narrowing down the options;
Heck, my daily driver is something like 1:3 (or maybe it's 1:2!?) when using a couple key options...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 12-05-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
there both a legitimate Ford Cobra, and a GT40 that shows up at the odd local show - real, original Shelby vehicles.

One local I'm freinds with has a 1/1 car (prototype), and everything else in his collection is one of few.... he drives them too...
Several years ago a guy showed up at the Home Depot cruise in an original '69 Hemi Convertible Coronet R/T. What really got my attention was that he told me that it was already sold and was just a matter of days before the new owner would be there to pick it up. I couldn't have done that once I'd sold it.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Let me guess...it interferes with the ability to read your Buick stickers?
Don't see the word "Buick on it anywhere"?
But yes just like putting radial tires on a car that didn't come with radial tires but owner can't afford the right ones so they make excuses that it rides better and is safer.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Stu View Post
*Mostly*
There is a 68 GTO, 4:33, 4speed, Ram Air 2, Ragtop that shows up at our local A&W. It is the real deal. No poster though, and it is green
That is interesting. Would love to know more about this car.

According to Jim at PHS, there are 5 deuce convertibles that he is aware of.

Per the BVZ roll call list, 1 black car, 1 burgundy, 1 gold, 1 red and my green car. I expect when the next one is discovered, it would likely be green since almost half of the known deuces are green. Was a popular color I guess.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't see the word "Buick on it anywhere"?
But yes just like putting radial tires on a car that didn't come with radial tires but owner can't afford the right ones so they make excuses that it rides better and is safer.
The right radials or the right Bias tires?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
The right radials or the right Bias tires?
Well if it didn't come with radials that pretty well eliminates more radials don't it???

Last edited by skullbucket; 12-05-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well if it didn't come with radials that pretty well eliminates more radials don't it???
no, you are just being weird. Anybody who actually wants to drive their car usually will put radials on. Bias are for trailer queens.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't understand why so many people avoid bias ply tires. I have a set on my 55 and they drive perfectly fine. No issues at all. This car hasn't seen a trailer ever since it was able to move under it's own power.

No power steering, no power brakes, no A/C, no radials. If my grandmother could handle this car then I can suck it up and do the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
no, you are just being weird. Anybody who actually wants to drive their car usually will put radials on. Bias are for trailer queens.
x200

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Closed Thread