Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-01-2023, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pushrod Guideplates

Finishing up my 400 build (KRE D-port heads), and I noticed some rockers aren't very well lined up on the valve stems. These are the KRE guide plates that came with the heads. So I loosened up the rocker studs, but there's barely any possible adjustment with these guide plates. The holes that the rocker studs go through are almost exactly the same size as the stud threads.

My first thought was to drill the holes bigger to give them some adjustment, but the plates are hardened and they're laughing at my 1/2" cobalt drill bit.

Then I tried the OEM guide plates from the original cast iron heads, and they seem to do a MUCH better job of aligning the rockers over the valve stems. Plus they have actual adjustment range since the rocker stud holes are much larger, and it looks like I could bend the guides a bit to get them to line up even better.

For an engine that will likely never see north of 5500 rpm, are the OEM guide plates adequate? I'm estimating a power output of just over 400hp, but I don't see how power output is relevant to valvetrain stability if the RPMs won't ever get extreme.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't remember where I saw them but someone makes an adjustable guide plate. Maybe if you look on Summit or Jegs sites.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:50 PM

ISKY and Comp both make adjustable guide plates, they’re actually for SBC engines but they work for Pontiacs using 5/16” pushrods.

Factory Pontiac guide plates are more than good enough, if they’re aligning your pushrods and rockers the way you like then go with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

I didn't realize other engine's guide plates could fit that's super useful. I'm seeing some nice two-piece ones that would work very well, thank you

Old 05-02-2023, 06:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You do not need to buy a thing, use your Pontiac ones!

If the need further tweaking then just cut them into 4 separate ones .

The good thing about these also is should you ever need to step up to a stronger bigger OD push rod you can just drive the shank of a bolt in to spread the stamped steel wider.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post: