Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-30-2023, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Power steering pump squeal

Will the pump being overfilled cause it to squeal?

Old 08-30-2023, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

not usually

Old 08-31-2023, 05:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok is there anything that will make it squeal besides the belt when under load? I’ve got it adjusted very tight and it squeaks really loud under high RPM, slow moving, or if I press the brakes really hard (hydroboost)

Old 08-31-2023, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Belt width correct? too narrow and the belt runs in the bottom of the grove rather than the sides.

George

Old 08-31-2023, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove the belt.

Wipe down its sides with brake clean or Carb cleaner.

Color the sids of the belt with a silver magic marker.

Install the belt and run it for five minutes.

Remove the belt again and you will likely see how very little of the sides of the belt are being used for coupling drive power.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-31-2023, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Squeal is belt slippage. Caused by: chrome pulleys, wrong belt, glazed belt, out of line belt. Overfilled PS cannot cause belt slippage unless oil gets on belt. Beware of overtight belts....they tend to wear out bearings.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So where is the best place to buy the proper v belts cause upon inspection I have seen that it sits deeper in the pulley than the AC and alternator belt

Old 08-31-2023, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Just take your old belt to the parts house and tell them you need a wider one.

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
The Following User Says Thank You to moneypit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The issue I have heard is new belts may have a metric V to them leaving you with far less drive contact area.’

The other thing to keep in mind contact area wise is That the deeper in the pulley a belt sits then the less circular contact it will make on the pulley.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A thorough application of belt dressing compound will help as well.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2023, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...der+belt+width

Going with a wider belt helped my squeal problem. Dayco 17XXX, 17 is width in mm, x would be length in inches, so a 49.5" belt would be 17495. a 50" belt would be 17500 and so on. Most parts stores call for a 15mm width which is too narrow on some applications

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
The Following User Says Thank You to Singleton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...der+belt+width

Going with a wider belt helped my squeal problem. Dayco 17XXX, 17 is width in mm, x would be length in inches, so a 49.5" belt would be 17495. a 50" belt would be 17500 and so on. Most parts stores call for a 15mm width which is too narrow on some applications

And we have a winner! I ran into the same issue with my car's PS belt, I have CFV billet pulleys installed and once I sourced the wider belts no more issues. Mine would squeal at high rpm only but a faint smell of burning rubber was present as well.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can’t find a 17mm belt local anywhere. My nephew is the store manager of Advance in my town and he has a cross number to the one I have but the warehouse is out of stock. Where are you guys finding them.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazon usually, eBay if cheaper

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 09-07-2023, 11:16 AM

VBeltSupply.com probably has belt your looking for.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I can’t find a 17mm belt local anywhere. My nephew is the store manager of Advance in my town and he has a cross number to the one I have but the warehouse is out of stock. Where are you guys finding them.
Buy one slightly shorter or slightly longer.

Advance carries Dayco, and usually can have them in very short time if not in stock.

What part number and brand are you trying to cross?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
A thorough application of belt dressing compound will help as well.
I'm gonna disagree.

There are multiple kinds of "belt dressing" ranging from various petroleum-based lubes to Neoprene liquefied in a solvent. Typical "belt dressing" is a great way to contaminate the rubber/fabric of the belt. The belt doesn't squeal because it's been lubricated, but it's still slipping, still running hot at the interface between belt and pulley, still damaging the belt and wearing the pulley. In MY driveway, a belt that had belt-dressing goes in the dumpster, I clean the pulleys, and start with a new belt.

If the belt squeals, it's slipping. Find out WHY the belt is slipping, and fix it. Don't cover-up the slippage with chemicals.

Tension is the final part of solving belt squeal. Before the tension, you need pulley alignment, (it's a 3-D world--pulleys have to be aligned in three dimensions) pulley condition (I've seen pulleys that were worn to a "U" shape instead of a "V" shape, the steel doesn't have a paint layer in the belt groove, etc.) correct belt width and length, proper PS pump pressure (if the pump pressure relief is stuck, pressure goes out-of-sight and no belt will have traction on the pulley to prevent squeal.)

The FIRST thing I'd do is to determine that you have belt squeal, not pump whine or failing bearings in the pump. Use a squirt-bottle to spray the belt with WATER, if the noise goes away it's belt squeal. Water evaporates, doesn't contaminate the belt.

If the noise doesn't go away, it's a pump problem--bearings, excessive pressure, or foaming fluid/aeration.

Last edited by Schurkey; 09-07-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
I'm gonna disagree.

There are multiple kinds of "belt dressing" ranging from various petroleum-based lubes to Neoprene liquefied in a solvent. Typical "belt dressing" is a great way to contaminate the rubber/fabric of the belt. The belt doesn't squeal because it's been lubricated, but it's still slipping, still running hot at the interface between belt and pulley, still damaging the belt and wearing the pulley. In MY driveway, a belt that had belt-dressing goes in the dumpster, I clean the pulleys, and start with a new belt.

If the belt squeals, it's slipping. Find out WHY the belt is slipping, and fix it. Don't cover-up the slippage with chemicals.

Tension is the final part of solving belt squeal. Before the tension, you need pulley alignment, (it's a 3-D world--pulleys have to be aligned in three dimensions) pulley condition (I've seen pulleys that were worn to a "U" shape instead of a "V" shape, the steel doesn't have a paint layer in the belt groove, etc.) correct belt width and length, proper PS pump pressure (if the pump pressure relief is stuck, pressure goes out-of-sight and no belt will have traction on the pulley to prevent squeal.)

The FIRST thing I'd do is to determine that you have belt squeal, not pump whine or failing bearings in the pump. Use a squirt-bottle to spray the belt with WATER, if the noise goes away it's belt squeal. Water evaporates, doesn't contaminate the belt.

If the noise doesn't go away, it's a pump problem--bearings, excessive pressure, or foaming fluid/aeration.

It doesn’t squeal at idle. It squeals on initial fire up and between shifts when the rpm’s rise as well as if I push the pedal too hard (hydroboost) or turn tight at low speed.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine would squeal when first fired up when the alt had a big load on it.Just had to tighten the belts and was good.Tom

Old 09-08-2023, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a belt that was new from Rock Auto and began squealing like a pig after a year. I tried tightening and it made no difference. I bought a replacement belt at the auto parts store that was supposed to be same sizebut was actually slightly longer when held up side to side. I thought WTH, I might as well try it anyway. It stopped the squeeling.

I figured what I got from Rock Auto was some old dried up and shrunk ancient dead stock from a closed auto parts store like most everything they sell.