Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 AM

Default How to fit hood springs

The hood springs on my 70 GTO vert had lost their tension so I bought some new ones from PY. My problem is fitting the new ones. I have previously had the hood off to fix a couple of things and it took a long time to get it lined up properly when I put it back on. So for this reason I'd like to fit the new springs with the hood on, but how do I get them expanded to fit on the hinge?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

lift the hood up and brace it....take a large crescent wrench..a big one...stick one end of the spring on the rear hinge hook..stick the other end of the spring on the round hole in the handle part of crescent wrench..the jaw "bmp" gives you something to hold on to....pull it forward..and VIOLA...put it on the other hook and its done....its safe...and does a fantactic job

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 AM

Mark, you must be one powerfull dude. No way I could move it using your method, but thanks for your advice.

I eventualy got them on using a 3' long 1/2" bar, by fitting the bar through the spring end loop and levering it against the hinge upright untill it was level with the hinge hook, then moving the spring sideways onto the hinge. Wasn't easy and the whole time worried about the spring having a mind of it's own and taking off and smashing something.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well, all that matters is ya got it on without hurting yourself or the car....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."