Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Excessive Oil Pressure!!!

This is the first time I've experienced this with one of my motors, and it took place this weekend at Pinks! Normally when I start my motor it have nearly 90 psi. oil pressure (cold) then after it warms to about 160* it stays at or about 65 to 70 psi, but after a pass it will fall to about 50, but climb with accelleration the normal 10 psi per 1,000 RPM! But this weekend after the pass it went (and seemed to stay beyond 100 psi which caused pressurized oil to fill the lifter valley baffel from what seemed like the top of the timing chain cover, causing oil to leak down the front and at the rear near the bellhousing!WHAT CAUSES THIS CONDITION AND HOW DO I CURE IT BECAUSE THIS IS NOT NORMAL AND I WAS'NT EVEN LEANING ON IT THIS WEEKEND AND I CERTAINLY DON'T WANT ANY DAMAGE TO OCCUR SOME INSIGHT PLEASE GUYS? Thanks in advance, SLICK.

(see it in action)

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2sbpmkm
Old 07-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not too many things would cause that.

A screwy gauge.

A stuck oil pump bypass assembly.

An increase in the resistance of the oil flow seen somewhere downstream from the oil pressure gauge,but even then the pump bypass should open and dump the extra pressure in the system.

I dunno,I would suspect the pump myself.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cannot see how 100 psi oil pressure would cause gasket failure at the valley pan, front & rear. That type of sudden gasket failure in more than one location is caused by crankcase pressure build up & unable to escape. Combustion gases are getting past the rings. That is what needs to be investigated. The high[er] crankcase pressure would also act on the oil in the pan & help push it into the pump, force feeding it, which might increase pressure, but I would the pressure increase would be slight if anything.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Thanks Guys for that input, but I know there's more out there and I know I'm not the first person this has happened to??? Or am I?

(see it in action)

Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would do a leak down check to see if one of your pistons is not sealing. and go from there. Tim C

Old 07-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Cannot see how 100 psi oil pressure would cause gasket failure at the valley pan, front & rear. That type of sudden gasket failure in more than one location is caused by crankcase pressure build up & unable to escape. Combustion gases are getting past the rings. That is what needs to be investigated. The high[er] crankcase pressure would also act on the oil in the pan & help push it into the pump, force feeding it, which might increase pressure, but I would the pressure increase would be slight if anything.
a stuck bypass valve in the oil pump would be the most likely cause of the pressure increase. but since you have the gasket issue i would agree with geoff's explaination.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not being a smart a$$
Have you checked the filter ???
Possibly coming apart inside blocking oil flow..
I would change it anyway and then cut open the old one..JMO...
The leak ????
FWIW: Usually when I have a OP bypass( I've had two) failure it goes the other way...low oil pressure at idle/low rpms ....

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your header evacs if you run them and see if the check valve is stuck.I tried running without them with just breathers and developed a leak around the valley pan.Put them back on and the leak stopped.Hasnt leaked since,and that was at VMP in May.

1970 Lemans Convertible,462,6x-4, 234/242 cam.3.42 posi.12.55@109,4100 lbs...SOLD....

1968 Firebird , 467 , KRE d-ports ,stock type suspension,3100lbs
(1.30 60')(6.08 1/8)(113.43)different runs 9.59 @140.71 on E85 all motor
8.97@148.63 on 150 shot
Old 07-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

is the oil coming out of the baffle in the valley pan or gasket? i agree Pump is most likely at fault

D.S.R.E. Your NW Pontiac Street/Strip Engine Builder, Specializing in Cylinder Head,Intake Manifold,and Exhaust Manifold Porting services and Building the Most Efficient stock rebuilds to Hi HP Pump Gas and Race Combinations for Pontiac,Buicks,Olds,FE Fords,385 Series and HP Gen 3 and 4 LS engines!
2006 silvy Z71 4X4,383 LS 600+hp NA
Shared Toy-66 Lemans 470cid by me 537hp 580tq-manifolds, 570hp 590tq-2"headers,custom cam,rpm intake, mild e-heads, Looks stock ;-}
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 lucerne lemans View Post
Check your header evacs if you run them and see if the check valve is stuck.I tried running without them with just breathers and developed a leak around the valley pan.Put them back on and the leak stopped.Hasnt leaked since,and that was at VMP in May.
I do run E-vacs, and now that you mention it had a backfired upon starting once and since then it occured!
But also I will be checking the filter, e-vacs, gauge, do a leak down and if need be pull it out and replace the pump! I have less than 30 passes on this piece and it has'nt shown any loss in power or wear! AM I THE FIRST ONE THIS EVER HAPPENED TO? THANKS GUYS, MORE INPUT IS ALWAYS WELCOME.

(see it in action)

Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Not being a smart a$$
Have you checked the filter ???
Possibly coming apart inside blocking oil flow..
I would change it anyway and then cut open the old one..JMO...
The leak ????
FWIW: Usually when I have a OP bypass( I've had two) failure it goes the other way...low oil pressure at idle/low rpms ....
I would'nt consider you as being a smart a$$ Bro! Thanks for the advise and I will remove and cut it open tomorrow! I only use Wix or Napa Golds on it and never experienced a failure before, but hey theres alway a first time! Thanks again.

(see it in action)

Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a filter fail a few year ago, and the oil pressure gauge stayed pegged until I changed it. This was with a Fram filter, new used one after that and have never had problems with any other brands. Currently we are using the NAPA gold filters....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK1 View Post
I would'nt consider you as being a smart a$$ Bro! Thanks for the advise and I will remove and cut it open tomorrow! I only use Wix or Napa Golds on it and never experienced a failure before, but hey theres alway a first time! Thanks again.
Thanks Bro !! I just kind of figured you probably had thought of filter but thought it should be said. Having worked for NAPA for 11+ years I only use Wix/NAPA Gold too. BUT...like you say...always a first time..or it could have trapped some POS and clogged it..
Good luck...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would also guess that you are taking the pressure reading off the adapter and not at the rear of the block? The adapter would read pressure prior to going through the filter medium and would definitely point towards the filter failure.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Thanks Bro !! I just kind of figured you probably had thought of filter but thought it should be said. Having worked for NAPA for 11+ years I only use Wix/NAPA Gold too. BUT...like you say...always a first time..or it could have trapped some POS and clogged it..
Good luck...

(see it in action)

Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
I would also guess that you are taking the pressure reading off the adapter and not at the rear of the block? The adapter would read pressure prior to going through the filter medium and would definitely point towards the filter failure.
You are correct Dude, and I'm hoping it's as simple as that and I won't have any damage! It seems normal during start up and idle, but after the pass and on the return road idleing it is pegged at or above 100psi! But the filter will be first.

(see it in action)

Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

If it's a Fram, chunk it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Here's what I discovered so far, Since it was the easiest thing to do, I took the hose leading to the e-vacs off and attempted to blow & suck pressure thru them, Drivers side bank was fine could blow thru it and could'nt pull thru it, then I go to the passenger side bank and could'nt pull or blow thru it, so I have to figure this was a large part of the problem (as stated earlier I had a backfire upon start up and this may have caused this since it did'nt occur on my first pass) so I merely left that hose unattatched to the breather on the valve cover! Next I took it upon myself to investigate my filter (Napa gold unit 1258 made by Wix) so I remove it and check the oil contained within it and was glad to see no metal particles in it and I proceed to cut it open, I don't have the proper tool for the job, but I always just take a small saw and cut a 1/4 in. slit in it so I can use an old school can opener and carefully cut around the top approx. a 1/2 in from the top, after completeing this I pulled the element out and noticed one side of it actually was in the beginning stages of a colapse with one side taller than the other and the element beginning to form a "S" shape that could hinder oil flow with the opposite side standing straight up in the normal manner! So at this point I have replaced the filter and will go to a local auto store to pick up another check valve for the pass. side header e-vac and hopefully this will correct my currrent issue? If anyone has anything to share it is always welcome, and thanks to those who have given great feed back!

(see it in action)

Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Seems you were correct Dude, the pressure build up was the result of a back fire which caused the check valve in the pass. bank e-vac to become stuck, so with that being the case there was no way possible for the pressure to escape since the breater was firmly pushed into the valve cover and basically clogged at the check valve! ONE BANK JUST COULD'NT BREATHE.

(see it in action)

Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found it!

9.81 @ 136.39MPH