Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something to consider too is that it DOES take approx 1/3 more in relation to airflow you need to size everything in your fuel system accordingly. This includes your fuel line size! I also highly suggest the Permacool fuel filter as it has the capacity and a water trap. It has a drain on the bottom of the filter and you can check for water contamination easier. Get an E85 4500 style carb from quick fuel. They have been playing with e85 for some time now.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its bound to vary with supplier, season and state just as gasoline does. I suspect with the high price of gas presently you will get much closer to 85% alcohol or even a tid more if the supplier thinks he can get away with it. I'd be leary of late fall,winter and spring when the the fuel is more likely to have higher percentages of gasoline in it. Because it can vary widely fuel injection is a better way to go. However if carbed application do run an Air/fuel monitor. You will see the rich/lean change if yournew batch is different than your old batch. The screw type jet kits might be a handy addition.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW pump gas varies alot too and can have up to 10% alcohol in it.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA455STROKED View Post
Hey boys,a station here on the island just started selling e85.
My new combo has 11:1 comp with e-head wideports,victor,and new 1050 dominator.
I have not bought the carb yet.
Do you think it would be worth it to buy a alcohol carb and change my fuel pump and lines to run the e85?
I read thats its 105 octane.

Do i have to convert the rest of the fuel system besides the carb to run the e85?
Need opinions!
Seems like a cheap race gas to me,selling for 3.09 a gal here.

On a side note:
I just filled up the new flexfuel Tahoe with it,gonna see what kind of gas milage it gets with the e85.With reg gas i get 14 mpg.
Reg gas here is 4.09 so the e85 is 1.00 a gal cheaper.
A lot of guys are using their existing fuel system as long as they have adequate delivery. As mentioned there is more moisture associated with it so you will need to replace the fuel filters much more frequently. The E85 also has a purging/cleaning effect in that if there are any build-ups in the tank it is working them loose and they are finding their way into the filter and/or pump and carburetor. We are also starting to see similar effects though with the pump gas [E10,E15] . I think some of the other questions have been answered in that the fuel is not mixed consistantly but a lot of the racers are mixing their own to get around this. One last issue we have seen is that the tuning window is narrower than both gasoline and methanol.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 08-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my E85 carb from www.e85carbs.com. They have everything from street carbs to race carbs in 4150 styles and 2 4500 series carbs. I went with the 850 street carb. They also sell conversion kits if you already have a Holley.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA455STROKED View Post
Is the stainless brided line ok to use for e85?I thought it corroded the rubber inside?
This is my current fuel system,what would i have to change to run the e85?
New stock tank with sump installed
Mallory 140 pump and bypass reg(thinking id have to change,not compatable with alcohol)
All stainless braided line(8an feed,10an return,6an to carb)
The carb needs to be a 4500 style,didnt buy yet)

Im thinking all i have to change is the pump and reg.Then buy a 4500 carb compatible for e85.
Is my stock sump tank ok?If not,is there a coating i can put on the inside?

Also,what compression can you run up to with e85?
Thanks for all the help guys!
The main problem I see with your setup is the mild steel sump. You need to remove the tank, drain it, and then coat it with a fuel tank sealer. I have the same issue and I used some sealer from eastwood and it seemed to do the job. The sump can rust since water will settle to the bottom of the tank, and with E85 you are going to have water. I'd also run some top end lube to help lube the fuel pump and ward off corrosion. I use a dash (well, more like a gurgle) of MMO in each fuel jug before I fill it at the pump.

Braided steel line is fine. I used the cheap stuff and fittings from summit. I had one of the lines off recently and it still looked new inside.

As far as your regulator is concerned, you might just try it and keep an eye on it first.

I threw together some info on my E85 conversion, there might be something here that is useful to you.

http://home.tx.rr.com/mikeb/turbo/

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put in a new tank that I sealed with Eastwoods tank sealer. I'm using a RobbMc stainless pickup, Aeromotive HO pump, Mallory return regulator and stainless braid all the way.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BTW, the Aeromotive 13202 adjustable fuel reg is the #1 choice for those in the blow through world. Nice piece and if you use a liquid filled gauge only adjust the pressure while it's cold as the the gauge gets lazy as the fluid inside heats due to the engine bay heat. See it everytime I start it up and come back home.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there are some carb builders out there making E85 carbs, that may be worth a shot
AED i believe offers some