Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-16-2022, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC, the 110 and 140 are essentially the same pump. Just different flow ratings based on internal relief valve pressure.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mallory 140 or the Holley Gerotor 125/150 pumps are great as long as you replace the brushes about every 8,000 miles. They definitely have a propensity of not only eating the brushes, but destroying the armatures if you don't catch the wear in time. If they would have designed a larger or a longer living brush system they would still be at the top of my list.

Mallory didn't endear themselves to their customers when they made a design change for new pumps in the brush design so the new brush repair kits wouldn't fit the older pumps, and then discontinued the old repair kits. Same with the Mallory regulators, the new regulators are ever so slightly different than the old regulators, and there are no repair kits offered for the old design.

The gerotor pumps will basically last forever on a drag car or a car rarely driven, if you are putting miles on an actual street car, remembering the maintenance is a pain.

The vane style offerings from Holley like the old blue, red, or new "black" are LOUD and have multiple failure points. Back in the day that was the pump I used and I have a row of them on my garage shelf. When they failed they would sometimes fill the motor up and spill fuel out on the ground. At least I never had a gerotor pump do that.

My current electric street/strip pump of choice is the Carter P4601HP which requires a regulator and is rated at 100 GPH. While this is under the Mallory/Holley offerings for flow, it is still up there. It has so far tripled the life I got out of the previous gerotor pumps and is still going strong. About the third of the price too, and Carter has similar pumps that don't require a regulator. It's a little louder than the gerotor but no where near the Holley vane pumps.

Last edited by lust4speed; 03-16-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Mallory 140 or the Holley Gerotor 125/150 pumps are great as long as you replace the brushes about every 8,000 miles. They definitely have a propensity of not only eating the brushes, but destroying the armatures if you don't catch the wear in time. If they would have designed a larger or a longer living brush system they would still be at the top of my list.

Mallory didn't endear themselves to their customers when they made a design change for new pumps in the brush design so the new brush repair kits wouldn't fit the older pumps, and then discontinued the old repair kits. Same with the Mallory regulators, the new regulators are ever so slightly different than the old regulators, and there are no repair kits offered for the old design.

The gerotor pumps will basically last forever on a drag car or a car rarely driven, if you are putting miles on an actual street car, remembering the maintenance is a pain.

The vane style offerings from Holley like the old blue, red, or new "black" are LOUD and have multiple failure points. Back in the day that was the pump I used and I have a row of them on my garage shelf. When they failed they would sometimes fill the motor up and spill fuel out on the ground. At least I never had a gerotor pump do that.

My current electric street/strip pump of choice is the Carter P4601HP which requires a regulator and is rated at 100 GPH. While this is under the Mallory/Holley offerings for flow, it is still up there. It has so far tripled the life I got out of the previous gerotor pumps and is still going strong. About the third of the price too, and Carter has similar pumps that don't require a regulator. It's a little louder than the gerotor but no where near the Holley vane pumps.

I like this Carter you mentioned, I definitely do not want problems in the furture while going to a hot rod event. Will 100gph handle 560hp though?

Old 03-16-2022, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Carter is in my street car that dyno'd 451 HP at the rear wheels through the mufflers. I have the -8AN line from fuel pump to carb so restrictions are minimal after pump. Even if we were at the same horsepower, some combinations are just thirstier than others. Here's a short video of a pull at our GTO club's dyno day: Blue Goat 2nd pull. That's Josh the dyno operator getting out of the car at the end, good guy and easy to work with.

Video was four years ago and engine and pump already had many miles on them. Both are still going strong.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
The Carter is in my street car that dyno'd 451 HP at the rear wheels through the mufflers. I have the -8AN line from fuel pump to carb so restrictions are minimal after pump. Even if we were at the same horsepower, some combinations are just thirstier than others. Here's a short video of a pull at our GTO club's dyno day: Blue Goat 2nd pull. That's Josh the dyno operator getting out of the car at the end, good guy and easy to work with.

Video was four years ago and engine and pump already had many miles on them. Both are still going strong.

Super cool man, thanks for the time and effort! What brand of regulator did you get?

Old 03-16-2022, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I did the system today I'd use a return regulator. Since it was done in the 80's I'm still using a mediocre system - and someday I'll get around to updating it. Right now I'm using the old Mallory dead-head regulator with a restricted return line back to the tank. Fuel goes to the regulator with the -8AN line, and to the carb where there is a T with a 72 jet screwed into it for the return to the tank through the original 3/8" line where it is reduced to the 1/4" nipple in the sender. This should bypass enough fuel to avoid vapor lock if stuck in traffic on a hot day. Say at idle the fuel sitting next to a hot spot like a header pipe could flash to vapor, and keeping a little fuel moving prevents that. Or at least the idea sounded like it would work. Haven't had a problem with it, but then again maybe there would not be a problem if the bypass wasn't there?

Old 03-16-2022, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have put 10's of thousands of miles on Mallory 110 and the brushes were still great. Deadhead regulator probably eats brushes faster and the pump is louder/hotter.