Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 RA IV race car

This may be old news.

I was watching "What is my car worth" and there was a 70 Raiv judge that had 44 miles on it and was raced it's whole life.

It sold at auction for only 106k.

I thought that was very low.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Maybe...

but it seems the RAIV's lost some of their luster recently. Watching Mecum and RA IV Judge did bring $80k...but that RA IV '70 ragtop that was recently "stolen" only got to $60k..."no sale". Couldn't touch cars like these for less that $100 not so long ago. Personally...I'm bettin' we NEVER see the bubble we saw recently on these cars. All us "greyhairs" are dyin' off...who else wants 'em? Just sayin'. Most serious collectors have the cars they want...and are quite possibly "buried" in them as well. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
but it seems the RAIV's lost some of their luster recently. Watching Mecum and RA IV Judge did bring $80k...but that RA IV '70 ragtop that was recently "stolen" only got to $60k..."no sale". Couldn't touch cars like these for less that $100 not so long ago. Personally...I'm bettin' we NEVER see the bubble we saw recently on these cars. All us "greyhairs" are dyin' off...who else wants 'em? Just sayin'. Most serious collectors have the cars they want...and are quite possibly "buried" in them as well. Ron
Ron you comment on that convert is a bunch of crap. That car was not stolen. Greg bought that car fair and square from the previous owner and I bought that car from Greg. I paid money for that car just as he did. Its those kind of comments that have given that car a stigma which is unfortunate because it is a nice rare car. I made a lot of improvements to that car as did Greg. It's unfortunate what happened to the previous owner of the car but that was between him and the shop that did the work for him.

As why the car only brought 60k. A couple of reasons. The paint on the car is not great. The engine compartment is not clean or restored. It's a driver and not a restore car. Maybe that's all the car is worth today.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
Ron didn't mentioned any names just the car was stolen and yes it was stolen by the shop owner because he sold the car for way more than the bill and kept the difference.

Not by Greg, not by the person who bought it.

Greg took a chance and got it straightened out, but he is a mover-shaker kind of guy

Nothing wrong with the IV Vert once the paperwork is straightened out and the ink is dry.

The jest of the earlier thread on this car was if someone owes you 5k, when you sell the car to reinburse yourself, you can keep the 5k but you owe the owner 20k if you sold it for 25k.

Their is a bunch of other issues too but they have been beaten to death already.

Last edited by richard sargent; 05-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Lets say if the car would only have brought $4000. (for the sake of argument) to the shop owner, he must assume the loss of $1000, and deal with it. Wouldn't the same theory apply to a profit from the sale? Seems to me that the owner of the car should have sold it way before the mechanics lein took place, and paid the $5k owed. He then would have made the profit.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard sargent View Post
Ron didn't mentioned any names just the car was stolen and yes it was stolen by the shop owner because he sold the car for way more than the bill and kept the difference.

Not by Greg, not by the person who bought it.

Greg took a chance and got it straightened out, but he is a mover-shaker kind of guy

Nothing wrong with the IV Vert once the paperwork is straightened out and the ink is dry.

The jest of the earlier thread on this car was if someone owes you 5k when you sell the car to reinburse yourself, you can keep the 5k but you owe the owner 20k if you sold it for 25k.

Their is a bunch of other issues too but they have been beaten to death already.
Your right it's been beaten to death. Illinois has all sorts of problems but they don't issue titles to stolen vehicles. I don't think Indiana does either. I do agree with one point and that is in regards to the profit the shop owner made. I don't agree with him keeping it.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Geez...

some thin-skinned folks here, I guess. I said that purely in jest...as the car has been titled what...four times in at least three states now? I know exactly what happened and also do not care to rehash this. Just sayin'...originally car was on the market for north of $100k. Driveline rebuilt...then Greg sank several thousand more trying to straighten the car out. It was a "no sale" in Florida and "no sale" at Indy. What's to argue? That car is a bad investment by nature of its performance in the marketplace. Not so much a few years ago...would have brought $60K needing a total resto. Those are the facts of the matter as I see them. Opinions are like buttholes...everyone has one and nobody wants another one. OK...I'll STFU now. Good luck with the car. Greg is not making a living doing these cars anymore...and it isn't because he doesn't know how. "Nuff sed" Ron

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
Your right it's been beaten to death. Illinois has all sorts of problems but they don't issue titles to stolen vehicles. I don't think Indiana does either. I do agree with one point and that is in regards to the profit the shop owner made. I don't agree with him keeping it.
seems we agree on something! According to the law...he broke it. All I said was the recourse will NOT include recovery of that vehicle. Was I wrong?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Too much time has passed and too many titles have been issued.

Personally I think it's was a good buy for a future investment.

IV cars seem to be all over the place as what they are bringing, I would sit tight wait a couple of years.

They are not making any more Ram Air IV Verts, have to go up not down if you give it some time. I know people keep saying the true collectors health are failings or just getting too old.

But when it's a vert and a Ram Air IV the car is so rare it only takes a few guys to bring a great price.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the guys interested in these cars are getting older every day I dont see the value going up much. Its sad but a nice driver with a modern drivetrain will be worth more soon.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about we get back to the original post - what were the details on the Black car that sold poorly? Low miles but did it have a stitch of it's born with drive line? Why was it restored and not sold as-raced?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the 44 mile Judge & the 29 mile "Big Iron II" are both in this thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...+iron+70+judge

Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=SC0511-107356

Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think IV cars are over the place right now.

Take a original engine car, resto done right, right options, great color combo, I think it will do ok.

But the opposite does not get a free pass on big money!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard sargent View Post
I think IV cars are over the place right now.

Take a original engine car, resto done right, right options, great color combo, I think it will do ok.

But the opposite does not get a free pass on big money!
It did for a while, but not so much any more.

I say it all the time, EVERY car has a story - you just need to find who knows it!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
How about we get back to the original post - what were the details on the Black car that sold poorly? Low miles but did it have a stitch of it's born with drive line? Why was it restored and not sold as-raced?
I heard the car was not a low mile survivor that collector's would have expected. That alone doesn't help...

Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny how some think.
Ok for a shop owner to take a bath on say...10 "mechanic lien" cars(happens more often then you think).
But not ok to make money on the 11th.
The original owner could of sold the car, paid the bill, and made money.
Dont know parties involved, just say'n....

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100