Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-08-2000, 12:58 AM

I recently purchased a 68 lemans with a 73 455 and it tends to blow oil through the breather at higher rmp's. I've changed the pcv valve and put a new breather on. I've checked the oil level and it reads a hair past full. Would this alone cause the problem, or are my rings shot? The car sat for atleast three years, which I'm sure didn't help. I hear a product called rislone might help..any ideas???

Old 06-08-2000, 12:58 AM

I recently purchased a 68 lemans with a 73 455 and it tends to blow oil through the breather at higher rmp's. I've changed the pcv valve and put a new breather on. I've checked the oil level and it reads a hair past full. Would this alone cause the problem, or are my rings shot? The car sat for atleast three years, which I'm sure didn't help. I hear a product called rislone might help..any ideas???

Old 06-08-2000, 01:41 AM

Just A thought for you, I work in retail parts and we sell A ton -and I mean A ton- of miracle treatments for engine, thousands alone for oil blow-by, each one claiming more fantastic results than the last. Rislone makes about A dozen or so different engine treatments, and several alone for blow-by. 1 Qt Rislone Ring Seal in the black bottle with A yellow label is what we actually sell the most of, with about 50/50 results. Bear in mind though, from A parts guy point of view, no bottled treatment is A cure. Just A band-aid. The Rislone ring seal is more like 'stitches' though, holds things together a little better than A band-aid, but still not A cure.

------------------
* No mister, it just looks like A GTO, but thanks. *

Old 06-08-2000, 03:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had the same problem. It disappeared when I ditched the breather in favour of a hose, connecting the valve cover and air cleaner. Just like a stock set up.

Old 06-08-2000, 08:21 AM

how many miles have you driven this car since getting it out of storage? i've seen some that smoke for a while after extended storage. it's like the rings need to reseat themselves. mike

[This message has been edited by mike nixon (edited 06-08-2000).]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-08-2000, 11:29 PM

I really haven't driven the car much, est 300-500 miles. Mostly short trips around town..and of course the occasional stop light to stop light action. I plan on pulling the engine for a permanent cure, but I'd like to spend some $$ on suspension and front fender work first...just thougth I could do something to hold off for a while. Besides with the price of gas she won't be leaving the garage to soon anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]