Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-26-2000, 10:10 AM

I am looking at this combo. I was thinking of e-heads and a street dom intake. h0-03 cam and 1.65 rollers. I want to use eagle rods and need pistons. I was looking at the je (srp) i think that is the name any one use these yet? Dose this 428/455 combo let you rpm a little more? also dose this combo build less heat then a 455. thanks looking for mid 11 sec times. Gman

Old 05-26-2000, 10:10 AM

I am looking at this combo. I was thinking of e-heads and a street dom intake. h0-03 cam and 1.65 rollers. I want to use eagle rods and need pistons. I was looking at the je (srp) i think that is the name any one use these yet? Dose this 428/455 combo let you rpm a little more? also dose this combo build less heat then a 455. thanks looking for mid 11 sec times. Gman

Old 05-26-2000, 11:04 AM

Gman,

The 428 crank will not care if it is in a 428 block or a 455 block; they are both large main journal blocks. The 455 block has some minor changes in the bottoms of the cylinders to allow the longer 455 stroke without connecting rod/cylinder interference. The 455 & 428 blocks are nearly identical, excepting this small difference. (With the exception of the SD 455.)

Just think of anything built with a 428 crank as a 428, and you will be fine. Due to the shorter stroke, the 428 is a higher rev capable engine. You will have to rev it a little higher than a 455 to really take advantage of those e-heads. Definitely use the eagle or some other aftermarket rod.

Whether or not the engine “builds” less heat will depend on how far you are going to overbore the block, and is almost completely independent of the stroke length.

You should make very good power with your overall combination plan, but in my opinion, there are much better intakes for Pontiacs out there than the street dominator Holley. Depending on which chassis you will be installing this engine, 11’s should be possible.

Good luck,

K.

[This message has been edited by GP-K (edited 05-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GP-K (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 06-03-2000, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gman

Whether or not you do mid 11's is totally dependant on how much the car weighs, the converter, rear gears etc... My oppinion is if your using the HC-03 cam the Holley manifold is a great choice. Just make sure you port match the runners and blend them way back. I believe the only manifold better is a Nash or Warrior. I think you would slow down with a warrior unless you run a big roller and a BIG carb and spin it up a bit.

Tim Corcoran

Old 06-03-2000, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have tried different manifolds & always ended up with the Warrior manifold. All my hydraulic cams were in the 240 & up range @.050 thou. I think the 428 combo will like the warrior better as with the bore/stroke combo the manifold will pull better, but as they said in the previous posts, weight, gear, & convertor will mater. The cam what are all the specs? I don't have a reference on those #'s. Later. http://sites.netscape.net/pontiacdude428/homepage