Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-22-2000, 09:31 PM

Has anyone used a transmission jack???
I purchased an adapter for a floor jack, but the minimum height is 12 inches. It looks like the min for a trans jack is 7-8 inches.
Will one of these work well with the car on jack stands?
I have found a trans jack for $67.99 that says it will work for small cars with a max of 450 pounds. Will this hold a turbo 350/200-4r ok???
The last time I did a trans I just lifted it up with min support, that was not much fun.
Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
The Pontiac Trans Am Page

Old 05-22-2000, 09:31 PM

Has anyone used a transmission jack???
I purchased an adapter for a floor jack, but the minimum height is 12 inches. It looks like the min for a trans jack is 7-8 inches.
Will one of these work well with the car on jack stands?
I have found a trans jack for $67.99 that says it will work for small cars with a max of 450 pounds. Will this hold a turbo 350/200-4r ok???
The last time I did a trans I just lifted it up with min support, that was not much fun.
Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
The Pontiac Trans Am Page

Old 05-22-2000, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The best way for me was renting a trans jack at the rental yard. This thing worked great. It was super low, so it worked fine on jackstands. Good luck, Guy - O.P.R.A.

Old 05-22-2000, 10:28 PM

Come on, be a man, lay down underneath it while you have a couple of people lower it down onto your chest and take it out that way(I've done this :-) it's lots of fun. Just kidding, I'm with guy, getting a rental is the way to go unless you take your trans out frequently. I rented one and it worked really nice, never tried an adapter though.

Sounds like you're getting ready to overdrive the T/A, good luck. I'm going to hopefully do that this summer and am looking forward to asking you questions :-) I'm going to go by the HPP articles as much as possible but I'm sure something will come up and it'll be nice to be able to talk to someone whose done it first hand.

Later,
Kevin F. Dush
kevin@fizziwigs.com

Old 05-26-2000, 01:08 PM

Actually if you have a smooth surface to roll a floor jack on you can use a floor jack with a small piece of plywood square laid on top of it. With this under the pan you can find close enough to center of gravity to lower it down and raise it back up into place. For extra insurance, some floor jacks have a hole in the middle of their platforms you could put a bolt through and hold the plywood tight onto the jack platform this way.