Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-27-2000, 09:07 AM

I am in need of some advise from you more experienced poncho powered guys.I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of 670 heads that have been completely gone through.They have new valves,valve guides,springs,retainers,...etc.The heads have also been fully ported.This includes both the intake and exhaust ports as well as having been bowl blended.The combustion chamber surfaces have been milled.To compensate for correct intake manifold seating the intake surfaces has been milled as well.I would be using these heads on a 400 motor with about 10 to 1 compresion that will see both the street and strip.The asking price is $1000.I would really like to hear weather or not any of you more knowledgeable guys think these heads sound like a good buy or not.Thanks

------------------

CDA

CDA
Old 05-27-2000, 09:07 AM

I am in need of some advise from you more experienced poncho powered guys.I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of 670 heads that have been completely gone through.They have new valves,valve guides,springs,retainers,...etc.The heads have also been fully ported.This includes both the intake and exhaust ports as well as having been bowl blended.The combustion chamber surfaces have been milled.To compensate for correct intake manifold seating the intake surfaces has been milled as well.I would be using these heads on a 400 motor with about 10 to 1 compresion that will see both the street and strip.The asking price is $1000.I would really like to hear weather or not any of you more knowledgeable guys think these heads sound like a good buy or not.Thanks

------------------

CDA

CDA
Old 05-27-2000, 10:44 AM

I would expect to see flow sheets and if the seller doesn't have them I would ask him to hve them benched somewhere before I committed any money. You could be buying someone elses headache. Looking at a port won't tell you anything about how it flows. I'd look for at least 240cfm intake and 210cfm exhaust for that money.

Old 06-01-2000, 02:07 PM

I personally would spend the extra money and get the Edelbrock heads.
Advantages:
1. They are brand new.
2. You know what they flow.
3. Can run higher compression(aluminum)
4. More horsepower.

Disadvantages:
1. Price
2. Have to use round port exhaust.(more expense)
3. Match the intake

Old 06-02-2000, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bobcat
I agree that before you even consider buying them you get a complete flow sheet for them. Then I would offer him a lower price too. For that money E-heads may be a better way to go. 10:1 is a little high for a street motor with iron heads too. You do have to consider the higher cost of running expensive round port headers into the total cost. I would say that if your convinced that the work is all top notch, new SS valves and they flow atleast 270@28 it would be a decent deal. I purchesed a set of #16's that flowed 290/295@28 and had Manley 2.19 SS intake valves and RA IV exhaust valves. I had to freshen them up and get new Ferrea exhaust valves, new springs and even out all the spring seats. I am very happy with them but almost could of got E-heads for what I got into them. I don't mind though cuz I go faster than a lot of cars running E-heads with a small solid cam. Good luck.

Tim Corcoran

Old 06-03-2000, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned in the above posts for the price of these d-port heads you are approaching the price of a new set of e heads. Do you already have a good set of d-port headers? Using a cheapie set (like 3 tube type units) would more than likely nullify a percentage of any gains made with the head upgrade. And if you have to get headers anyway then you would be looking at only fractional increases in cost of round port headers. Also another way of thinking is will you ever want to make more power beyond your current goal? The d-port heads will be about the max you will get compared to the e-heads that have yet to be touched.

------------------
417 motor................................467 motor
10.854@123.44........................not ran yet
6.947@100.65..........................not ran yet

brooksa@gte.net

Old 06-03-2000, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's my opinion, don't waste your money on D-port heads, buy a set of E-heads. How's 11.40's sound with 8.5 compression, in a 3500 lbs car, or due you want be running around looking for cam 2, an still not run as fast.

Old 06-04-2000, 02:41 AM

buy the e-heads; you'll be happier in the long run. if you want the cast look blast the ends and paint them. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-04-2000, 08:47 AM
Exhaust Guru

65 Bob, Give us a feel for what your intended usage for the car/engine will be. That will determine which direction you should go. Many factors enter into the situation.
Tom Hand

Old 06-09-2000, 07:17 AM

I couldn't get any kind of flow numbers from the guy so I just passed on them.I would love to get a set of E heads,but $1700-$2000 for a pair of heads is just way beyond what my budget can handle.

------------------

CDA

CDA
Old 06-09-2000, 05:30 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

BC,
Here is a great alternative to both the unknown 670 heads and the expensive E heads: Contact Dave Bisschop about his ready to install and street ported 6X heads. He will deliver a set of first quality heads within a range of compression ratios, depending on engine size, to your door for $995. All first rate parts and ready to run, and capable of running well into the 12's on most any weight Pontiac. The actual performance will of course be dependent on the rest of the engine and car, but these have enough airflow to do as noted. The price on the site may be a little higher, but the $995 price is real. Jim Hand

SD Performance
http://www.musclecarsonline.com/SDPe...ce/prices.html

Old 06-09-2000, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

65 Bobcat, The E-Heads don't cost that much if you sharp around, one guy I know bought bare castings, and hand them done compete for 1500.00, and he's now making 600 hp on pump gas.Dave's heads are a good deal if you just restorying your car, but if you want to make easy hp on pump gas then the E-heads are the way to go. You can buy them from Jeg's, PAW, or Summit.

Old 06-09-2000, 08:37 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Bobcat,
What are you going to do with Your car,engine,use? Most Pontiac D-port heads will do nicely without porting. For most street applications. Just have a good Valve job. Why would you want to spend $$$ for unknown heads with a port job. Unless you are looking for more than 500hp. The big thing I see is what kind of performance are you looking for? The cost?

------------------
Mr. Z

Old 06-09-2000, 09:25 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

BC.
Here is a checklist to help you evaluate the real cost of heads:

D port Heads:
Head bolts - use the old ones (I do, and have for years)

Exhaust system- use the old one, everything bolts up - you won't need to replace the exhaust manifolds or headers to use D ports.

Headers: A variety of headers are available for most all vehicles with the D ports if you decide to use headers.

Modifications for excessive oil usage on the E heads that some users have reported- not needed on the D ports.

Different converter to compensate for the loss of low end power, to compensate for the needed bigger cam, and to compensate for the higher rpm power range, not needed on the D ports.

Different gears to try to replace the low end power - not needed with the D ports.

Possible replacement of the pistons and rods in order to safely run the higher rpm to get all that great top end power, not needed with the D ports.

Radical cam to try to obtain the higher rpm power, not needed with the D ports,

There is more, but when the total overall costs of the different heads are tallied, there is a much bigger difference then just the cost of bare heads.

If you are planning to build a car capable of running down in the 10's, the E heads can be an excellent choice, but for a real street/strip car (not a race car with license tags), they are not necessary and will not automatically run better then decent D ports (such as was mentioned above) without a host of other changes. Jim Hand

[This message has been edited by Jim Hand (edited 06-09-2000).]