Old 02-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1972 Trans Am idler arm bracket differences

I did a search here for this but didn't find anything that specifically addresses this question.

I started chassis restoration on the 11D build automatic TA and noticed the idler arm bracket is different than the 12B build 4spd. I searched some photo logs that I have of other member's '72 cars here and actually found a third style bracket.

I wonder if there are other styles besides these three and I assume they are all interchangeable since there is only one center link?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idler arm bracket 1 1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	275257   Click image for larger version

Name:	idler bracket 1s.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	275258   Click image for larger version

Name:	idler bracket 2s.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	275259   Click image for larger version

Name:	idler bracket 3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	275260  

Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default idler arm

it is my opinion that the idler arm picture on the painted subframe is correct Pontiac issue part, the idler arm you show on the primed subframe is a repo most likely made by Moog or some other repo supplier. I am sure others will disagree with me, but I have more than one NOS idler arms identical to the one you have mounted on the painted subframe..

Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW...Hi Bill

Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
it is my opinion that the idler arm picture on the painted subframe is correct Pontiac issue part, the idler arm you show on the primed subframe is a repo most likely made by Moog or some other repo supplier. I am sure others will disagree with me, but I have more than one NOS idler arms identical to the one you have mounted on the painted subframe..
That is the same one that is on my 71 TA which I believe to be original to the car. Also, the diagrams in the 71 assembly manual show it to be that style.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
WOW...Hi Bill
"WOW" ???

Suprised to see me posting on PY's Craig?? Yes....it has been a while since I posted.. Truth be told I have sort of unplugged myself from the computer.. Amazing how much time I found myself wasting on my damn laptop... I have gotten to where I only check emails once every other week !! ... Hope all is well with you Take care..

Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks RAIII and 68bird for your insights. I think you are both right.

I checked and the '72 assembly manual shows the same as the '71 which is the style as the third one pictured. The one on the sand blasted sub-frame (primer looking) has a number stamped on the back of it but I don't think it's a GM part no.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some "food for thought" on this topic.
Several years ago, I read an article pertaining to correct chassis restoration, dealing primarily with "A" bodies. The article stated that GM sourced steering components from 2 aftermarket vendors, in addition to Saginaw. Those vendors were TRW & McQuay-Norris.

While I agree that the third pic shows the most commonly seen part, likely the Saginaw sourced one, I have seen many of those like in pic #2, especially on Van Nuys built '71's. A '71 I own & have had since 1985 (87K miles) has this other design.

I managed an auto parts store for 15 years, & for many of those years we sold TRW chassis parts. I noticed that many steering parts appeared identical to original GM parts, but Moog was always different. Moog was noted for improving designs for better reliability & TRW pretty much made parts exactly like was done originally.