The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-26-2002, 10:43 AM

Has anyone replaced quarter panels using metal adhesive. I have been reading about this stuff, and was wondering if it really is an alternative to welding?? If it is what are the pros and cons of doing such a repair?

Old 08-26-2002, 10:43 AM

Has anyone replaced quarter panels using metal adhesive. I have been reading about this stuff, and was wondering if it really is an alternative to welding?? If it is what are the pros and cons of doing such a repair?

Old 08-26-2002, 11:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Panel bonding instead of welding, is becoming more popular.
There are advantages to panel bonding.
* No warpage
* Better rust proofing between bonded panels.
* Easier for non experienced technicians.
The thing to remember though.
As far as I know, all of the Manufacturers (Lord Fusor,Dura Mix, etc.) still recommend some welding of the panels.
The metal being bonded has to be perfectly clean bare metal.

Old 08-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

unibody cars get required strength from welded panels......adhesively bonded panels scare me

Old 08-27-2002, 08:09 AM

my man doing my car right now showed me a tube of 3M adhesive which 3M's sales people are pushing. it's a 2 part epoxy system that we talked about using it on my rear quarters. 3M will guarantee for life of the car, not the life of the owner. if i have it done, i'll let everybody know. he experimented with an epoxy on a ford bronco my buddy owns and it worked well, but the rear quarter was cut where the body side molding was and was hidden from view so he wouldn't have to fill and finish with sanding. he just left it semi finished. thats been 8 years now. btw, i think he said it sells for 38 bucks for the tube he had. didn't look like more than 7-8 oz. combined.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Senior Chief

That 3M stuff is actually tougher than the steel you are bonding together. In school, a demonstration was done to show that the steel would tear before the joint would break where the epoxy was used. Its a good thing, but sounds wierd. "Honey, I just got done gluing the quarters back on the GTO"..

Old 08-27-2002, 10:14 AM

Sounds like an intersting alternative to welding!
I have never used a welder before and was thinking that maybe this was the way to go. Figured would be easier and cheaper since I would have to purchase a welder to weld the quarters. The rockers, frame and all structural steel is good on my car.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was in the same boat -- didn't know how to weld and had to replace my 1/4 panels. So, I went the adhesive route. As a novice, I found it very easy to accomplish. The bond is very good. I only did this earlier in the spring so I can't verify how this will do over many years. But, so far, so good.

In my research I found that shops and manufacturers are using adhesives more and more. I suggest searching through the posts and find one by SteveK. He describes the techniques used to glue in new floor pans. I followed his techniques on my floor pans too and those came out very solid as far as I'm concerned.

I used Duramix 4179.

John

Old 08-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Senior Chief

Bonding won't weaken the steel around the weld or warp the metal.

Old 08-28-2002, 10:14 PM

ive heard about this stuff i still dont under stand it all the way. where i get lost is do you leave the old part like floors and quater panels treat them and then you just glue the new one on??? then bondo it and sand would you still see where the new panel was put on?? someone please reply to this Q cause i dont know how to weld and i dont have a welder

Old 08-29-2002, 09:36 AM

go to 3m.com, look for their automotive adhesive products. when you see all of the products they offer, you won't believe it.

Old 08-29-2002, 10:29 AM

I went to 3M and I'm impressed. Here's the stuff I found that says it's for bonding in body panels.
The link didn't work so I went back. Here's a brief on the stuff.
3M™ Automix™ Panel Bonding Adhesive 08115, 200 mL Cartridge, 6 per case

Two-part epoxy used to bond steel, aluminum, SMC, and FRP (traditional fiberglass). The primary use is to replace quarter panels, roofs, box sides, van sides, utility vehicle sides and door skins.

Buyer's Part Number : 08115
GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 0 00 51135 08115 0
3M Id : 60-9800-4450-1

Looks kick-ass. Makes me want to cut out that rear-quarter and glue a new one in.

[ August 29, 2002, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: rand68 ]

Old 08-29-2002, 10:58 AM

This stuff works really well, maybe TOO good.It is great on the small stuff Im sure,what if you glue in a 1/4 panel,what happens if you need to replace it again?Any metal that has glue on it will need to be cut off.This could make it nearly impossible to re-redo a body panel.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyk:
This stuff works really well, maybe TOO good.It is great on the small stuff Im sure,what if you glue in a 1/4 panel,what happens if you need to replace it again?Any metal that has glue on it will need to be cut off.This could make it nearly impossible to re-redo a body panel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since it's an epoxy you can use Acetone to soften and remove it. If you go to your local DIY store and look on the Acetone label it says "epoxy solvent".

Old 08-29-2002, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the input! I think I am going for it! I will documant my progress as novice trying this for the first time. And will post a web site with pictures when I'm done. If I'm not too embarrased by the results [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 01:13 PM

One thing I would like to see is (and hear about) is what the seam looks like after it's bonded, but before you do any body work. A welded seam usually pulls in a tad which makes it more work to fill.

Also, if you use the 3M stuff let us know costs for the applicator and the bonding epoxy.

JMO, but I would definitely get the applicator.

Old 08-29-2002, 02:12 PM

this stuff is sandable. I think my rear quarters are going to be done this way. they require lots of sanding to begin with. i'll be on vacation next week when he probably does this. i'll ask him to take some pics that can be posted here.

Old 08-30-2002, 03:00 AM

went to the web site for 3m read more into this. you still are going to have to weld a little
"quarter panels:adhesice should be appliedd to lower edge, the wheel opening,the door jamb areas to the quarter

Old 08-30-2002, 03:04 AM

went to the web site for 3m read more into this. you still are going to have to weld a little
"quarter panels:adhesice should be appliedd to lower edge, the wheel opening,the door jamb areas to the quarter and at the factory seam of the C pillar. The rear vertical portion of the quarter should be welded, as well as the c pillar if you have but joints" im not sure if im reading this right but do you have to weld it in? also would this stuff work good on floors like the trunk and inside floors if its only little sections that are rusted out ?? i think it will work

ps if any one has used this or going to if you can send me some pics cause right now this looks like the way to go since i dont know how to weld and what you had to do to it

[ August 30, 2002, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: spedmonkey ]

Old 09-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

I have used the 3m panel adehesive on the filler panel on my 68, worked very well...with 1/4 replacement (which I will have to do) I'm thinking of using it also, but only on the upper span across the top of the 1/4. G.M. has a service bull. approving the usage of the bonding product, and showing where it can and cannot be used. Also when using the adhesive there are still structual areas that must be welded... my .02