The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Chief

Simple....how the heck do you do it? I need to replace the printed circuit board and cannot figure out how to get the dash off so I don't have to work on my back! I also posted this in the 68-69 GTO section Thanks mike

Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Chief

Simple....how the heck do you do it? I need to replace the printed circuit board and cannot figure out how to get the dash off so I don't have to work on my back! I also posted this in the 68-69 GTO section Thanks mike

Old 08-25-2004, 11:28 AM

Its been several years since I did that to my '69 LeMans conv. but I remember that, unlike previous years, you have to take out the whole dashboard. There are 4 or 5 main bolts at the back that go into the firewall, in addition to some more obvious brackets toward the front and sides that need to come out too, as well as the other fittings, heater cables, speedo cable etc. I believe you will also need to take out the steering wheel brackets (top and bottom inside) and let the column drop down to allow you to get the dashboard out. Hope this helps!

Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Read this article....
http://www.justdashes.com/articles/pont_perf.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Chief

That did it. Thanks

Old 08-26-2004, 08:33 AM

For what it’s worth, I think it’s easier to remove the dash assembly with the harness attached. I’ve read several “how to” articles in magazines like HPP and Musclecar Review and they always disconnect everything. That will work, but it tough on the fingers and hands (lots of cuts and scrapes).

I remove the steering wheel (but you could just lower the column), disconnect the heater controls, speedometer cable and unbolt the firewall connector (unbolt from the engine side first, than two long screws are removed from the passenger compartment side). Don’t forget to disconnect things like the radio antenna and the wires running to the door jam switch for the interior light too.

Be thankful you don’t have a 68, the dash (actually the instrument panel) is very difficult to remove without damaging anything!

Good luck