Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Default Various Tri-Power Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuhn View Post
What a car!
Mike wants to know:
Keith, is that Mac McKellar in the hat standing next to the Car in the Photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CGFFGNF.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	577614   Click image for larger version

Name:	1957 ROCHESTER FUEL INJECTION .jpg
Views:	72
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	577615   Click image for larger version

Name:	1957-58  Oldsmobile Tri Power Carb  Intake .jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	577616   Click image for larger version

Name:	1958-Chevrolet-348-3x2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	577617   Click image for larger version

Name:	1957-Olds-J-2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	577618  

Old 11-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The very early Bathtub intakes were setup with a small side draft idling carb in the center.There were pics on this site showing it on a engine in I believe a 50s pontiac.The bible for this kind of info is in Pete McCarthy pontiac musclecar Performance 1955-1979.They are still avail new from Petes wife on the internet.If your going to play in this old stuff you HAVE to get it.JMHO,Tom

Old 11-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
The very early Bathtub intakes were setup with a small side draft idling carb in the center.There were pics on this site showing it on a engine in I believe a 50s pontiac.The bible for this kind of info is in Pete McCarthy pontiac musclecar Performance 1955-1979.They are still avail new from Petes wife on the internet.If your going to play in this old stuff you HAVE to get it.JMHO,Tom
I do have. Sounds like I need to go back and review.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 11-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.petemccarthybooks.com/#!/HOME
You HAVE to own this book!Tom

Old 11-12-2021, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tekunh,pg 183!Tom

Old 11-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The original 62-63 SD 421 carbs were a pair of 625s.The single NASCAR 4 bbl was a 750 and the 3bbl NASCAR AFB was a 930.The Bathtub 928 intake was an over-the-counter intake and most ran a pair of the NASCAR 4 bbl 750s on it. The 2 that I'm running both have a pair of the 750s.Tom
I have the 1966 Rochester Tri-Power (3) large Bore Flange Carbs. over the cast Steel Intake Manifold, what is my CFM?

Mike said: Let me see a Photo of the 3bbl NASCAR AFB please! I am not in the Market to buy a Book at this time, I found everything including Books on the various Forums, if you are willing to scour the Posts to death as I do. As I build this Post, someone in the future will discover what we're sharing and just might find what they're looking for. I learned over the years that you read the entire Post. I copy to Note Pad and Edit then I let my reader speak the words back to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1960-61 ROCHESTER FUEL INJECTION.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	577619   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963-Pontiac-SD-Chassis SWISS CHEESE.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	577620   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963-Pontiac-SD-LH-front-corner-view.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	577621   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Grand Prix Sports Coupe 421 SD.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	577622   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Grand Prix Sports Coupe.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	577623  

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 11-12-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:23 PM
Suspended

[QUOTE=tom s;6294700] Tekunh, pg 183! Tom [/QUOT

Mike said :
Post a Photo Pretty Please!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1960-Pontiac-racer-1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	577624   Click image for larger version

Name:	1960-Pontiac-racer-3.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	577625   Click image for larger version

Name:	1960-Pontiac-racer-6.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	577626   Click image for larger version

Name:	1960-Pontiac-racer-7--1024x609.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	577628   Click image for larger version

Name:	1960-Pontiac-racer-421 SD.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	577632  

Old 11-12-2021, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,I don’t have the time or patience to do what you do.BUY the book!Tripower carbs are flowed diff from 4 bbls.I think Tom Vaught know the compare.Tom

Old 11-12-2021, 11:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Mike, John made the billet intake because he can!
The billet had nothing to do with making anything.
If you read to the end, you will read the patterns are supposed to be done next week, hopefully
As of right now there are like 34 spoken for
I am not as familiar with this process, although I down loaded the sites that you are working with, I have not had a chance to read how all this works. Goes from Drafting to models to Prototypes then testing then Billet man makes his own off the Model. What is a Pattern?

There is your fathers front end Keith!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3072_dealer-royal-pontiac-book2-pg-22_low_res.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	577649   Click image for larger version

Name:	26501.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	577650   Click image for larger version

Name:	3073_dealer-royal-pontiac-milts-signature-on-bus-card_low_res.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	577651   Click image for larger version

Name:	3074_wilsonsgto_low_res.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	577652   Click image for larger version

Name:	26643.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	577653  

Old 11-12-2021, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Mike Learned: By watching a video Wagner was speaking about the Tri-Power Progressive Linkage adjustment especially about its flexibility. I set mine according to information at my disposal at the time. We adjusted the Throttle opening for the secondaries at 70 percent. Then we set the Passing Gear Detent solenoid to activate at 90 percent opening according to the instructions that came with the B+M Switch. Here is what happens: The Vehicle is moving at 60 MPH I step hard on the accelerator and the car reaches 90 MPH and throws me back into the seat up to 120 MPH and slowly moves up to 130 tops. Now Wangers said in his video that I can readjust the Linkage if I have manual linkage, and I do. Then I read on the Forum that a person sets his Linkage to 40 Percent. So, I want to bring the Power back to the useable speed because my tires are only speed rated to 80 MPH consistent speed. How do I set my Tri-Power Linkage for best performance in a street usage and Highway driving? P.S>That speed was with the old worn # 886 Cam, I now have a "041" Cam in the Motor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79954-424-0.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	577654   Click image for larger version

Name:	163093745.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	577655   Click image for larger version

Name:	26722.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	577656   Click image for larger version

Name:	163093746.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	577657   Click image for larger version

Name:	WAGNERS PONTIAC CHEETED WITH PROMO.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	577658  

Old 11-13-2021, 12:13 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Mike, I don’t have the time or patience to do what you do. BUY the book! TriPower carbs are flowed diff from 4 bbls. I think Tom Vaught know the compare. Tom
I was inquiring on Photos about what was posted to see what the Nasar( 3) bbl looks like because I never seen one. The Flow on Tri-Power like mine Approximately is what I am looking for. I add up each carbs CFM numbers and come up with like 1200 but read differently. Some were from 800-900 using an un- ported steel Tri-Power Intake and stock "D"- Port Heads. 875 CFM kind of sticks in my Head. Any one that Knows about this is welcome to add their input.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964-Pontiac-Banshee-1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	577662   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964-Pontiac-Banshee-3.jpg
Views:	85
ID:	577663   Click image for larger version

Name:	1972_Summernationals_14.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	577665   Click image for larger version

Name:	1972_Summernationals_15.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	577667   Click image for larger version

Name:	1972_Summernationals_24.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	577668  

Old 11-13-2021, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Default 3bbl NASCAR AFB PLUS CARBS

The Carburetor Shop LLC Wrote:

General Information

Carter produced 4 different styles of four-barrel carburetor. These are, in chronological order of introduction: (A) WCFB, (B) AFB, (C) AVS, and (D) Thermoquad. Each will be covered in some detail. Note that in no case does one type replace the previous type. Beginning in 1957, at least two different types were produced in all years through 1984.

This article will ONLY consider carburetors built by Carter up to and including the 1984 model year. I am quite aware that Federal Mogul, after purchasing Carter, produced several models of clones of the AFB, and these also have been produced to be sold by other companies. However, due to MAJOR design changes, these units will not be considered in this article.

Many enthusiasts are still using, or trying to use these Carter carburetors today, often on non-original applications. The two major mistakes made by the average enthusiast are: (A) starting with a carburetor, which is difficult to adapt to the specific application; and (B) believing that most parts within a given style of carburetor are interchangeable.

An example of (A) might be trying to install an AFB carburetor designed for a Chevrolet 8 cylinder onto a Pontiac 8 cylinder (or vice versa). The Chevrolet and the Pontiac engines have two entirely different fuel requirement curves.

Often, when I suggest this to a novice, I am told by the novice that he is smart enough to change jets and metering rods, in which case I concede this point, and walk away. But the novice doesn’t consider other items. For example, the Pontiac will want a significantly larger idle jet (pressed-in) than the Chevrolet. Yes, if one has the proper set of drills, and knows the correct size, one may drill out the idle jets.

But one must also consider air bleeds, idle restrictors, idle bypasses, and especially the secondary air valve. The angle of attack of the air valve is much greater for the Chevrolet engine than for the Pontiac engine.

Trying to use the Chevrolet air valve on the Pontiac will result in hesitation or bog when the secondary engages. Trying to use the Pontiac air valve on the Chevrolet engine will result in a large “soft” spot at the beginning of secondary engagement.

Can this be tuned? Certainly, if one has all of the specialized tools, parts, and the knowledge of which to use.

We have found one has many fewer issues if one simply does a little homework and starts with a carburetor more or less designed for one's application.

Many enthusiasts are disappointed to learn that very few original equipment carburetors have published CFM ratings, when in fact; most of them do not understand the meaning of CFM anyway. This link may help in the understanding of CFM ratings: LINK

WCFB

The WCFB was Carter’s first attempt at a four-barrel carburetor. It was introduced in 1952. A total of 222 different WCFB models were made in the years 1952 through 1967. The WCFB was discontinued after the 1967 model year. I have seen a number of different meanings for the WCFB acronym.

One employee of Carter once told me that it meant “wrought cast four barrel”; and used that terminology for years. However, a close friend who worked most of his life for Carter, chastised me for using this terminology.

It seems the official Carter meaning was Will Carter Four Barrel (Will Carter of course being the inventor that started the Carter Carburetor Company). So, I now use this designation when asked.

The WCFB is a “square-bore” carburetor; with three major castings: (A) throttle body (early aluminum, later cast iron); (B) bowl (zinc alloy) and (C) airhorn (aluminum).

I have been unable to find ANY Carter-published CFM ratings for any of the WCFB carburetors. However, for the purpose of argument, one may compare throttle bore size and actual venturi size of various WCFB carburetors to other models, which do have published ratings. WCFBs had approximate ratings from about 375 CFM to about 500 CFM.

The Carter WCFB was identified by a tag, which originally was placed under the drivers’ side rear airhorn-to-body screw. Various sources have attempted to positively identify WCFBs by casting numbers. This may be done in a few rare cases; but generally, this is unsuccessful.

While the various sources MAY be correct with their casting number tables, generally they are unaware that other carburetors may have used the same blank casting, machined in a different manner.

Therefore, if one knows the carburetor's identity, one would know what castings would be present; but the reverse is certainly not true. The reader should use any such tables with the proverbial “grain of salt”.

While some of the WCFB carburetors had no air valve, most of the WCFB carburetors have the weighted air valve to prevent the secondary from flowing until the engine demand was sufficient to require flow from the secondary.

There were also a very few WCFB units that had vacuum controlled secondary. These units, like the vacuum-controlled AFB carburetors, were (and still are) exceptionally troublesome. Carter discontinued this design after a couple of years.

While there are many categories of parts on the WCFB that look as if they should interchange; two in particular that give many enthusiasts problems are metering rods and floats. The metering rod is an extremely precision device. Most enthusiasts look only at the metering diameters; but do not realize that the LENGTH of the metering step is not the same for all rods.

Carter utilized at least a dozen different step length profiles. When interchanging rods, unless one is deliberately changing the step length, one should compare the step length profile of the replacement to the original rod. The floats used in the WCFB are a double pontoon arrangement, connected by an arm. THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT FLOATS, WHICH APPEAR TO THE NOVICE AS IDENTICAL! Maximum buoyancy of a float occurs when the flat surface of the float arm is perpendicular to the fuel inlet needle.

A method used by Carter (also Rochester in their 4G series, and Stromberg in most of their two-barrel series) to adjust the fuel level was to move the height of the arm where the arm was soldered to the pontoons.

Failure to observe this difference in floats may lead to carburetor flooding issues. Even if the float arm is bent to achieve the specified adjustment, the buoyancy change may cause a flooding issue.

AFB

The AFB was introduced in 1957. Unlike the WCFB, there is no controversy in the meaning of the acronym. AFB means aluminum four barrel. Also, unlike the WCFB, several of the 505 different AFB models produced from 1957 to 1984 have published CFM ratings.

These ratings range from a low of 400 CFM to a high of 950 CFM. The 950 rating was assigned to only one AFB, the so-called “trapdoor” or three-barrel 3636s used on the Pontiac NASCAR 421 super duty engines.

The AFB, like the WCFB, is a square-bore design. However, the AFB has only two major castings, as the throttle body and bowl assembly are incorporated into one casting. The second casting is the bowl cover or airhorn.

The Carter AFB was identified in a variety of methods:

(A) metal tag under the driver's side rear airhorn to body screw

(B) stamped number on the edge of the passenger front throttle body

(C) stamped number in the center of the throttle body on the back side

(D) stamped number on the front of the airhorn

Some have both a stamped number and a tag; others have a tag only.

Like the WCFB, a very few AFB units had a vacuum operated secondary. This proved to be exceptionally troublesome, and Carter discontinued the diaphragm secondary after a couple of years.

Most of the other AFB units have the weighted air valve; however, this air valve was omitted on a very few units which are truly mechanical secondary. Most of these were for racing only.

There are three categories of parts, which give enthusiasts issues with interchange on the AFB. These are: (A) floats; (B) step-up rods (often incorrectly called metering rods); and (C) main metering jets. There are at least 5 different floats, which have been used in the AFB carburetors. These differ primarily in buoyancy.

There are several different groups of step-up rods. Some have two steps, some have three steps, and a few have four steps. There are at least 2 dozen different step profiles, as well as two different overall rod lengths.

In an attempt to reduce erroneous interchanging of rods and jets; Carter utilized what is called the “high-step” main metering jets in the primaries, which have the 3 step rods.

Due to the perceived scarcity of the three step rods and the difficulty in tuning three step rods, some enthusiasts have attempted to change out BOTH the three step rods and high step jets for the more common 2 step rods and standard jets.

While this may be done for racing (WOT only), the practice is generally less successful on the street, unless one also changes the primary venturi clusters.

AVS

Carter introduced the AVS in 1966. Chevrolet used it on the 275 horsepower 327. The acronym AVS meant “air valve secondary”. Basically, the first incarnation of the AVS was an attempt to place the “demand” spring tension secondary on the square-bore AFB style carburetor.

From a manufacturing standpoint, much less expensive to produce the spring tension secondary than the weighted air valve. Chevrolet used it one year, but then dropped the AVS in favor of the Rochester Quadra jet.

Carter still thought it could work, and during 1967 did lots of R & D on the primary circuit, utilizing the 3 step step-up rods and some differences in the primary venturi cluster (remember the Clean Air Act of 1966, to take effect with the 1968 model year had just passed).

Due to the really precise lower RPM metering characteristics on the revised AVS carburetor (useful for smog emission calibrations), Chrysler purchased them for use beginning with the 1968 model year.

These carburetors were quite troublesome, and before the final demise of the AVS after the 1971 model year, the AVS sometimes didn’t last as long on a new muscle car as the first tank of gasoline! Most enthusiasts changed them out, either for pre-smog AFB units or for Holley's.

Carter did make one final attempt to market the AVS in 1972, as they offered several aftermarket versions. However, these didn’t sell; if fact, I have never seen one!

A total 55 different models of the AVS were produced, in two different CFM sizes. The ones with both primary and secondary throttle bores the same size are 750 CFM; the others are 630 CFM.

All AVS carburetors that I have seen have been stamped with the identification number on the passenger side front throttle body edge. Some have also had the metal tag.

Since we will not rebuild the 1968 and newer AVS units, I cannot offer any tips on rebuilding.

Thermoquad

The Thermoquad, or TQ for short, was introduced as a high-performance unit in 1969. Carters’ first spread-bore carburetor of their own design (remember, they produced Q-Jets under license from GM), the first production came in two sizes: 850 CFM and 1000 CFM. In 1971, these racing units would be detuned for street use and an 800 CFM version was original equipment on Chrysler 340 engines. The only 1000 CFM was the race carburetor.

Chrysler used 800 CFM units on the smaller V-8’s, and 850 CFM units on the 440’s. Later, 520 CFM units were released for use on the 318. A total of 428 different Thermoquad models were produced.

The Thermoquad, as stated above, was a spread-bore design, consisting of three major castings: an aluminum throttle body; a thermoplastic bowl; and an aluminum airhorn.

Obviously, the name came from the thermoplastic bowl. Carter claimed that fuel temperatures in the bowl were reduced from 25 to 28 degrees F. when compared to carburetors of other companies. Reduced fuel temperature translates into higher engine efficiency.

Most of the Thermoquads have the identification number stamped on the edge of the mounting flange, in like fashion to the AFB and AVS. A few of the early racing “Competition Series” Thermoquads were identified by tag only.

The Thermoquad (opinion) is a wonderful carburetor; but one that can give a novice fit for many reasons. First, there are 4 separate and distinct versions of the Thermoquad. These are:

(A) the early production Competition Series with press-in jets

(B) the later production Competition Series with screw-in jets

(C) the 1971 Chrysler units

(D) everything else

Do not attempt to interchange metering parts from the 4 groups.

Second, the Thermoquad, unfortunately, suffers a poor reputation, which is entirely undeserved. This reputation is because of two issues:

Issue 1 – THERE ARE TWO BODY SCREWS HIDDEN UNDER THE CHOKE PLATE!!!!! The novice removes the 8 visible screws, and shakes the carburetor to get it apart. Obviously, nothing comes apart. He then taps on the throttle body with a plastic hammer, but still, nothing comes apart.

Sometime about now, thoroughly frustrated, he attempts to pry the body apart using a screwdriver, AND CRACKS THE CASTING! He now takes the carburetor to someone with more experience to acquire a new bowl, and is shown the two hidden screws. Does he admit to his buddies what he has done? Of course not! He tells his buds that the miserable *&^%$# body warped!

Issue 2 – This one gets even professional mechanics, which have not been trained on Thermoquads. The very first production of the last group of Thermoquads beginning in 1972 used O-rings to seal the wells.

This worked well for Carter in testing, but after about 3 months in the field the O-rings began to leak. Carter then replaced the O-rings with what Carter called “Quad X-Rings”.

For those that may be unaware, an O-ring is called an O-ring because the item is in the shape of a ring, and if one were to cut the O-ring, one would observe that the cross-section of the material would be in the shape of the letter O. Cutting the X-ring would reveal a cross-section resembling the letter X.

I do not know the current ratio, but X-rings used to be approximately 20,000 times the cost of O-rings. Guess what is in that generic rebuilding kit at your local parts store! Rebuild the carburetor with the inexpensive kit, and the carb starts leaking after a couple of months. Use a genuine Carter kit (or one from the car dealer) and no problem.

In addition to the racing carbs (850 CFM 4846 and 1000 CFM 4847), Carter also offered some high-performance aftermarket units of 800 CFM. These are: 9800 (GM linkage); 9801 (Chrysler linkage); 9810 (revised GM with an EGR port); and 9811 (revised Chrysler with EGR port).

The 9800/9810 are direct Q-Jet replacements. I have one on my own GTO. The 950 rating was assigned to only one AFB, the so-called “trapdoor” or three-barrel 3636s used on the Pontiac NASCAR 421 super duty engines.

Mike found this: 3-bbl AFB: They were used on 63 Pontiac Super Duty 421's. On the dual carb mini tunnel ram and on the Nascar single intake.

Mike found this: Three-barrel Carter AFB carburetor (PN 3636S) The AFB Top but was brought out to meet NASCAR requirements.

Mike found this: What kind of carburetor does a NASCAR 421 use?
The 950 rating was assigned to only one AFB, the so-called “trapdoor” or three-barrel 3636s used on the Pontiac NASCAR 421 super duty engines. The AFB, like the WCFB, is a square-bore design.

Mike found this: What was the CFM rating for the Pontiac NASCAR 421?

Also, unlike the WCFB, several of the 505 different AFB models produced from 1957 to 1984 have published CFM ratings. These ratings range from a low of 400 CFM to a high of 950 CFM. The 950 rating was assigned to only one AFB, the so-called “trapdoor” or three-barrel 3636s used on the Pontiac NASCAR 421 super duty engines.

Where do you find the Carter AFB number?

The Carter AFB was identified in a variety of methods: (A) metal tag under the driver's side rear airhorn to body screw (B) stamped number on the edge of the passenger front throttle body (C) stamped number in the center of the throttle body on the back side (D) stamped number on the front of the airhorn.

THE CARBURETOR SHOP / Factory multiple carburetor manifolds

The following is a listing of multiple carburetor manifolds used by USA manufacturers as original equipment compiled by The Carburetor Shop. We believe all information presented to be correct, however, the listing is not complete. We would welcome documented additions and/or corrections.

Make Years Engine Application Casting number Material Type

Buick 1965 425 1370316 Cast iron 2x4
Buick 1966 425 1370316 Cast iron 2x4

Cadillac 1955 331 El Dorado 1463205 Cast iron 2x4
Cadillac 1956 365 El Dorado 1464580 Cast iron 2x4
Cadillac 1957 1469263 Cast iron 2x4
Cadillac 1957 365 El Dorado 1465950 Cast iron 2x4
Cadillac 1958 365 El Dorado 1469689 Cast iron 3x2
Cadillac 1959 390 El Dorado 1472225 Cast iron 3x2
Cadillac 1960 390 El Dorado 3512080 Cast iron 3x2

Chevrolet 1953 235 Corvette Aluminum 3x1
Chevrolet 1954 235 Corvette Aluminum 3x1
Chevrolet 1956 283 3731394 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1957 283 3739653 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1958 283 3739653 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1959 283 3739653 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1960 283 3739653 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1961 283 3739653 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1958 348 3749948 Cast iron 3x2
Chevrolet 1959 348 3749948 Cast iron 3x2
Chevrolet 1960 348 3749948 Cast iron 3x2
Chevrolet 1961 348 3749948 Cast iron 3x2
Chevrolet 1962 409 3814881 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1963 409 3814881 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1964 409 3814881 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1965 409 3814881 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1963 396 Z-11 3830623 Aluminum 2x4
Chevrolet 1969 302 Z-28 (cross ram) 5841130 Aluminum 2x4

Chrysler 1959 413 300-E 2264877 Cast iron 2x4
Chrysler 1960 413 300-F 2264877 Cast iron 2x4
Chrysler 1961 413 300-G 2264877 Cast iron 2x4
Chrysler 1962 413 300-H 2264877 Cast iron 2x4
Chrysler 1963 413 300-J (right side) 2129985 Aluminum 2x4
Chrysler 1963 413 300-J (left side) 2129987 Aluminum 2x4
Chrysler 1964 413 300-K (right side) 2129985 Aluminum 2x4
Chrysler 1964 413 300-K (left side) 2129987 Aluminum 2x4

Dodge 1956 D-500 (early) 1733878 Cast iron 2x4
Dodge 1956 D-500 (late) 1733978 Cast iron 2x4

Ford 1956 EDB-9424-C Aluminum 2x4
Ford 1956 312 (experimental) ECZ-9424-C Aluminum 2x4
Ford 1957 312 ECG-9424-D Aluminum 2x4
Ford 1963 406 None Aluminum 3x2
Ford 1963 427 C3AE-9425-K Aluminum 2x4
Ford 1967 427 C7AE-9424-A Aluminum 2x4

Mopar 1634285 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1956 315 500 'A' Option 1735917 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1957 315 500 'A' Option 1735917 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1957 318 'C' body 1822004 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1958 318 'C' body 1822004 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1958 350 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1958 383 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1959 350 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1959 383 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1959 413 385 H.P. 1854817 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1960 350 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1960 383 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1960 413 385 H.P. 1854817 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1961 350 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1961 383 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1961 383 'C' body (left side) 1947162 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1961 383 'C' body (right side) 1947163 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1961 413 385 H.P. 1854817 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1961 413 'C' body (left side) 1947162 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1961 413 'C' body (right side) 1947163 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1962 383 'C' body 1827899 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1962 413 385 H.P. 1854817 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1962 413 'B' body max 2402726 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1963 426 'B' body max 2402726 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1963 426 'B' body max perform II 2402728 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1964 426 'B' body max perform 2402720 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1964 426 'B' body S/S strip - 2468045 Aluminum 2x4
Mopar 1965 426 'B' body S/S strip - 2536900 Magnesium 2x4
Mopar 1966 426 'B' body hemi w/Carter 2531921 Cast iron 2x4
Mopar 1966 426 'B' body hemi w/Holley 2946278 2x4
Mopar 1967 426 NASCAR 2536900 Magnesium 2x4
Mopar 1967 426 W/marking 'DPCD' 2780543,4 2x4
Mopar 1967 426 W/pentastar (late) 2780543,4 2x4
Mopar 1968 426 2536900 Magnesium 2x4
Mopar 1968 426 W/pentastar 2780543,4 2x4
Mopar 1969 426 W/pentastar 2780543,4 2x4
Mopar 1969 440 'B' body (Edelbrock) 3412046 Aluminum 3x2
Mopar 1970 440 'B' body (Edelbrock) 3412046 Aluminum 3x2
Mopar 1970 340 'E' body (Edelbrock) 3418681 Aluminum 3x2
Mopar 1970 426 W/pentastar 2780543,4 2x4
Mopar 1970 440 'B', 'C', 'E' body 2946275 Cast iron 3x2
Mopar 1970 440 'B', 'C', 'E' body 2946276 Cast iron 3x2
Mopar 1971 426 W/pentastar 2780543,4 2x4
Mopar 1971 440 'B', 'C', 'E' body 2946276 Cast iron 3x2
Mopar 1972 440 'B', 'C', 'E' body 2946276 Cast iron 3x2

Oldsmobile 1957 371 J-2 571145 Cast iron 3x2
Oldsmobile 1958 371 J-2 571145 Cast iron 3x2
Oldsmobile 1966 400 442 393238 Cast iron 3x2

Packard 1955 352 440856 Cast iron 2x4
Packard 1956 374 440856 Cast iron 2x4

Plymouth 1956 (over the counter) 1732479 Cast iron 2x4
Plymouth 1956 1735919 Aluminum 2x4
Plymouth 1956 303 Fury 1733878 Aluminum 2x4
Plymouth 1957 303 Fury 1733878 Aluminum 2x4
Plymouth 1957 318 1822004 Cast iron 2x4

Pontiac 1956 316 (production) 523554 Cast iron 2x4
Pontiac 1956 316 (developmental) D-32960 Cast iron 2x4
Pontiac 1957 347 528533 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1958 370 529371 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1959 389 532422 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1960 389 Super duty 535552 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1960 389 536194 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1961 389 538202 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1961 389 Super duty 541510 Aluminum 3x2
Pontiac 1961 421 Super duty 542991 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1962 389 541690 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1962 421 541690 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1962 421 Super duty 542991 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1962 421 (over the counter) 54299 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1962 421 Super duty 9770319 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1962 421 Super duty 9770859 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1963 389 9770275 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1963 421 9770275 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1963 421 Super duty 9770859 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1963 421 Super duty 9772128 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1963 421 Super duty 9772598 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1964 389 9775088 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1964 421 9775088 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1965 389 9778818 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1965 421 9778818 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1966 389 9782898 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1966 421 9782898 Cast iron 3x2
Pontiac 1969 303 RA V 478489 Aluminum 2x4
Pontiac 1969 303 RA V 546235 Aluminum 2x4

Studebaker 1962 304 1555811 Aluminum 2x4

Mike found this: Al in CT
Stromberg built the first 3-barrel of which I am aware. Carb was built in 1937 to be used as a 2x3 on the 1938 Cadillac V-12. And then Cadillac discontinued the V-12. I have the only prototype of which I am aware.

Next (to my knowledge) 3-barrel was the Carter 3636s. This is the infamous "trap door" AFB which was built for Pontiac NASCAR racing in 1963. Flow test was 939 CFM at 1.5 inches Hg, and 1128 CFM at 3 inches Hg. These were available OTC if you were a known Pontiac racer. I have a letter from Carter stating 15 to 20 were built, but at one time about 20 years ago, I knew of the existence of 24. I have two currently.

Holley made several 3-barrels. The earliest to my knowledge is R-3085 for 1964 Chrysler. The more common R-3916 came out as aftermarket in 1968.

Base (bores) - Venturi - CFM 2bbl (4bbl equivalent)
1.25" (1-7/16") - 1-3/32" - 278cfm (197cfm)
1.25" (1-7/16") - 1-7/32" - 311cfm (220cfm)
1.5" (1-11/16") - 1-3/32" - 278cfm (197cfm)
1.5" (1-11/16") - 1-3/16" - 352cfm (249cfm)
1.5" (1-11/16") - 1-1/4" - 381cfm (269cfm)
1.5" (1-11/16") - 1-5/16" - 423cfm (299cfm)
1.5" (1-11/16") - 1-3/8" 435cfm (308cfm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-bbl carb and matching Nascar Pontiac Super Duty intake manifold  2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	577672   Click image for larger version

Name:	3bbl01.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	577673   Click image for larger version

Name:	3bbls.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	577674   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Carter 3-bbl carb and matching Nascar Pontiac Super Duty intake manifold   SD 3636 top.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	577675   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Carter 3-bbl carb and matching Nascar Pontiac Super Duty intake manifold SD 3636 bottom.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	577676  

Old 11-13-2021, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Default 3bbl NASCAR AFB PLUS CARBS!

Intake Manifolds found with Carter and Holly Carbs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2   Holley 3 barrels.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	577683   Click image for larger version

Name:	3  Holley 3 barrels.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	577684   Click image for larger version

Name:	carbs are '66 GTO 575 cfm units.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	577685   Click image for larger version

Name:	DUAL QUAD INTAKE MANIFOLD HEMI.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	577686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Edelbrock L-300 intake    MEL 462 tripowersm.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	577687  

Old 11-13-2021, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

I had some Carter built Quadrajets. My 72 Wagon had one.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:42 PM
Suspended

AFB means aluminum four barrel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Edelbrock L-300 intake  L300.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	577688   Click image for larger version

Name:	FORD 58 mercury 430.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	577689   Click image for larger version

Name:	ford 64 Galaxie. Factory for 61, 62, 63.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	577690   Click image for larger version

Name:	holley3b.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	577691   Click image for larger version

Name:	hemi tunnelram.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	577692  

Old 11-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
I had some Carter built Quadra jets. My 72 Wagon had one.
Mike said:
Padgett: Your name came up were I found some of this recent material.
Mike found:
There was also the Aftermarket CS #'s... CS meaning Competition Series Carbs. These had different idle circuits and manual chokes to deal with lower vacuum camshafts...

CS 4758 = 500 CFM
CS 4759 = 625 CFM
CS 4760 = 750 CFM
CS 4761 = 500 CFM Chokeless.
CS 4762 = 750 CFM Chokeless.

Here are a couple of the more popular OE AFB's

3705 = 750 CFM with manual choke.
3721 = 575 CFM with automatic choke.
3783 = 625 CFM with automatic choke.

There were also the Thermo Quad Spread Bore's.

9800 = 800 CFM calibrated and linkage for GM.
9801 = 800 CFM calibrated and linkage for MOPAR.
Both had electric chokes.

CS 4846 = 850 CFM with manual choke.
CS 4847 = 1000 CFM with manual choke.
carbs. later started to be measured bt most @ 1.5 in HG for 4bls and 3.00 HG for 2 and 1 bbl carbs
I have seen and handled several three-barrel Holley's but never heard of a three-barrel AFB

3-bbl AFB: They were used on 63 Pontiac Super Duty 421's. On the dual carb mini tunnel ram and on the Nascar single intake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GM development dept.  3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	577693   Click image for larger version

Name:	GM development dept. 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	577694   Click image for larger version

Name:	GM development dept..jpg
Views:	45
ID:	577697   Click image for larger version

Name:	GM development dept. 5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	577698   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	577699  

Old 11-13-2021, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Carter produced 4 different styles of four-barrel carburetor. These are, in chronological order of introduction: (A) WCFB, (B) AFB, (C) AVS, and (D) Thermoquad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holley94.jpg
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	577700   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3 BBL AD 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	577701   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL AD 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	577702   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL AD.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	577703   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL AD 4.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	577704  

Old 11-13-2021, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Mike found: Holley made several 3-barrels. The earliest to my knowledge is R-3085 for 1964 Chrysler. The more common R-3916 came out as aftermarket in 1968.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL EBAY 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	577705   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL EBAY 3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	577706   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL EBAY 4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	577707   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLY 3BBL EBAY.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	577708   Click image for larger version

Name:	l Holley 3 barrels   3 bbl.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	577709  

Old 11-13-2021, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Mike found: From a manufacturing standpoint, much less expensive to produce the spring tension secondary than the weighted air valve. Chevrolet used it one year, but then dropped the AVS in favor of the Rochester Quadra jet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	metering plate HOLLY TEST TOOL.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	577710   Click image for larger version

Name:	quadrajet-carburetor-vacuum-diagram-carb-enticing-photos-700x528.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	577711   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCHESTER SPREEDBORE 4BBL.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	577712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rochester Quadrajet.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	577713   Click image for larger version

Name:	rochestercfm.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	577715  

Old 11-13-2021, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,the 3bbl Carter was only used on super speedway,none of the other tracks I was told.Tom

Closed Thread