THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Use gloves!

Being an old dog mechanic, I have always resisted using gloves while working. My reasons: I couldn’t “feel” and I could find any that fit correctly ( 3XL glove size…not easy to find!). Nearly two weeks ago I developed pain in my right middle finger; nothing new, I’ve had moderate arthritis in my hands for years. This pain was different; it was in the joint accompanied by swelling. This started on Wednesday two weeks ago. By Friday my finger was double its normal size, so off to immediate care I go. The diagnosis: cellulitis. A prescription of Keflex and off I go, except my finger was getting worse, not better. By Sunday, I couldn’t sleep due to the pain, so off to immediate care I go again. The APNP on duty x-rayed my finger to make sure there were no foreign bodies in my finger, examines the finger and tells me he needs to take a culture sample because he’s certain I have pickup MRSA. He lanced the finger ( which actually felt good because of the swelling) with a little puss but a copious amount of blood comes flying out of the finger. He gives me a shot of Bactim, a sulfa based antibiotic that kills MRSA, a bit of hydrocodone for the pain and orders to see my PCP soon( I had an appointment for the following day). My PCP looked at my finger on Monday. His diagnosis: MRSA. He told me to finish my prescription of bactim; he also set up an appointment with a ortho to examine my finger for joint damage for May 20. At this point, my finger is pretty much back to normal; it still swollen at the tip and the skin looks scalded from the edema, but I have no pain and can use the finger. The lesson I learned? WEAR GLOVES! I found a brand of exam gloves that comes in 2XL ( a bit snug but loosen up enough for me to wear), so gloves WILL be the order of the day in garage. According to my PCP, had I waited a day or two later to go to immediate care the probability is I would have lost that finger due to necrosis.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So -

What precipitated all this? Had you been in the garage a couple days before the flare up? Anything significant happen while you were in the garage? Was there a foreign body in your finger? How do you get MRSA from a garage environment (rather than a hospital where there is an infected person)?

Thanks,

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep. Gloves are mandatory for me now. When I was younger I never used gloves. Nobody did really. Now whenever I'm doing yard work or mechanical work I always wear gloves. I'm not as tough as I used to be.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MRSA is no joke! Gloves are a good idea where feasible.

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Yep. Gloves are mandatory for me now. When I was younger I never used gloves. Nobody did really. Now whenever I'm doing yard work or mechanical work I always wear gloves. I'm not as tough as I used to be.
X2. I'm not a tough guy anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to jabgolfcars For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
So -

What precipitated all this? Had you been in the garage a couple days before the flare up? Anything significant happen while you were in the garage? Was there a foreign body in your finger? How do you get MRSA from a garage environment (rather than a hospital where there is an infected person)?

Thanks,

K
Keith, that is what’s crazy; nothing I had been doing would have had contact with MRSA contaminated surfaces. I know mice can carry MRSA; I fight mice in the garage constantly. This is the ONLY thing I can think of that COULD have had MRSA involved.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

Went through this with my 75 year old father almost 2 months ago. Had a minor cut on this thumb from doing yard work. Swells up a few days later and goes to the doctor. They write it off as nothing and give him some antibiotics. Antibiotics do nothing and his thumb swells up like a balloon. I threw him in the car and off to the emergency. They cut out a bunch nasty junk and sew him back up. I threw away all of his gloves that were filled with holes and told him to wear new ones at all times.

Damn Vietnam veterans think they're still 20 and invisible to everything....

The Following User Says Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post: